Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

multitools and me and some general thoughts

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
multitools and me and some general thoughts
on: April 26, 2008, 06:01:29 AM
I was first introduced to multitools as a farm hand. I used a blue swiss classic and a scout knife. I lost the scout knife on the farm and bought a swiss camper to replace it. I was about 14 at the time and thought it was the most useful tool ever. than one day while at the flying J I saw an alltrade multitool and went to buy it but my mom wouldn't let me. come to find out my brother had bought one for Christmas. It was a nice surprise. I never new what a multitool was until I saw it in the flying J. I broke that tool, returned it and broke another. Than I asked for a super tool for my birthday and was hooked. I bought more and more swiss army knives from shopko, target and fred meyer. I left the country for some time and took the super tool and it was used to make beds and prune and all sorts of stuff.  I don't know how but I ended up carrying a swiss tool and a wave. Both were so convenient that I stopped using the super tool. one day I broke the tip of the wave doing the same thing I had done with the swiss tool and the swiss tool saw the most use until 3 years ago. I was working in a shop and cut metal straps. the swiss tool had shorter cutters and took 2 cuts to every one with my wave. I started using the wave a little more. the switch really took place when I got a new wave with pocket clip and grabbed it one day because it was more convenient than carrying a pouch. I was operating a machine at the time and always kept a tool box and the swiss tool handy. I used the wave that day and it fit in over the knobs I had been using pliers with because the swiss tool didn't open up far enough. that was the big factor by using the wave I could drop pliers, the swiss tool, and even most my screwdriver since I carried the bit kit. I still love the swiss tool but the wave is still my EDC because it fits my situation better. the eye glass screw driver and one handed blades have been very handy also. I still think the swiss ratchet is a better tool add on though. the swiss tool is tough and gets a lot of use. maybe one day it will replace the leatherman, maybe...

what I would like to see from leatherman and victorinox is more variety like bear mgc with shears, pliers, electricians tool or schrade with adjustable pliers, shears, vise grips.

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Re: multitools and me and some general thoughts
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 06:29:52 AM
Good story Scrappy,we have came a long way in the last 25 yrs with MT's,and I think we will go a lot farther in the next 25,maybe everybody will get the ideal MT by then,but in the meantime its fun to try the selection thats out there now.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 07:16:01 AM
Your story resinates with me , I oscillate between the Leatherman charge /Surge , and the Victorinox products ( mainly the Spirit ) .

Chris

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 09:46:11 AM
Great story mate :cheers:, I'm sure most of us will recognise elements of it :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD