Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Channellock Rescue Tool

us Offline GMArthur

New Channellock Rescue Tool
on: April 28, 2008, 05:20:24 AM
 Saw an article on this in our local paper ( I live about an hour away from Meadville PA where Channellock makes their tools ) and thought some of you would like a look at it.
http://www.amazon.com/Channellock-88-6-in-1-Rescue-Tool/dp/B001680YRY

While I'm guessing it will be too big for an everyday carry type tool it is still an interesting take on a plier based multi tool. Having owned many of Channellocks products if this thing is up to their usual quality I'll bet it is not only very useful, but also almost indestructible. Seems to be alot of rescue based tools coming into the market recently.

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Re: New Channellock Rescue Tool
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 05:40:40 AM
With over 30 yrs in aircraft maintenance,I really like a good tool,and channellock has always had quality tools,really like the crowbar handle,I've used the lineman pliers for a long time.

Thanks for sharing GMArthur

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 03:08:22 PM
I see a lot of sales coming from fire depts and individual firefighters.I wish it had been around when I was active as a volunteer firefighter.
I

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 10:07:44 PM
I think that it is a very cool design. Funny thing is they only do pliers, and they do them right!
S

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 12:23:24 AM
Here's their link and a video for 'The Rescue Tool'.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 02:43:15 AM

The ChannelLock tool reminds me of that home made rescue tool the fireman guy is making and selling on eBay.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/FIREFIGHTER-POCKET-TOOL-FIRE-FIGHTER-MULTI-TOOL_W0QQitemZ140227652352QQihZ004QQcategoryZ53293QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 02:48:32 AM
That guy is certainly onto something. I can actualy see that ending up in the Galls cataloge. I hope he really goes places with that!!!!!!!!
S

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 04:36:31 AM
I've read on another forum that the tool was designed by a firefighter who presented the idea to Channellock.  They stated they weren't interested and it probably couldn't be patented because it's just a combination of existing tools.  A little while later, they go in to production on the tool and nothing was initially offered to the designer.  It was said Channellock eventually offered the guy a small sum of money, but no portion of the sales of the tool.

It was also mentioned that the tool was tested by a department in PA and got poor feedback for durability.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 11:28:21 AM
Bummer on the durability. It really did seem like a great idea. however it seems channellock will make it right. They seemed to take out some of the prts and added the breacher.
S

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 09:43:58 PM
Well, it's certainly not going to last very long if they cut live wires with it... Not to mention the handles don't appear to be insulated. :P

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%