Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is the appeal of the Alox models?

us Offline sambeaux

What is the appeal of the Alox models?
on: July 17, 2013, 06:44:21 PM
The Alox models seem to have a cult following. What's the appeal? Is a 93mm Alox model significantly bigger than a 91mm Cellidor? Tougher? More ergonomic? Why give up the back layer tools and the scale tools?

Just curious if I was missing out on something.

Sam

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: What is the appeal of the Alox models?
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 06:54:22 PM
They are tougher, and have a real unbreakable feel to them :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 07:03:16 PM
I do not have any alox but people frequently say they are
-tougher
-wear better
-better awl
-more solid
-thinner scales

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 07:27:32 PM

While the overall length is only 2mm longer, the tools are bigger and thicker on the 93. Here's a comparison of the knife blades.

Offline mitt

Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 07:32:52 PM
More so on the 58mm models, they are not only thinner but noticeably lighter. I have carried alox every day for years, and originally worried about losing the scale tools, but now I don't even miss them.

On the bigger models, they feel thin and solid, instead of plasticky and relatively fat.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 07:45:31 PM
All of the layers are thicker, and therefore, one would assume, stronger. The alox scales are not as likely to chip or break as the plastic scales.

I LOVE the awl design on standard 91mm Vic knives, but the awl on my Farmer reamed through an oak board with significantly less effort. I think this is due to it being on the end instead of a t-handle.

In my testing of saws, all other things being equal, length makes a better saw. So, the 93mm is a little better than the 91mm.

While I'm not certain of this, I suspect grip is a LOT better under adverse conditions on the alox.

If toothpick/tweezers aren't a concern, you simply get a more compact package with the 93mm alox knives. They are about one layer thinner. In some other thread, someone verified for me that the pin stock is also thicker. And the pins seat into those relatively thick alox scales. Because of this, and coupled with the layers being of thicker metal (and having therefore thicker and stiffer backsprings), the entire sensation of the tool is that it is beefier than comparable 91mm knives.

The ONLY downside I see with alox is that I REALLY don't like when my tools with coating on them get all worn-looking. I know some folks do. I don't. The easy solution to this is to simply get a plain silver tool.

As for giving up the back-layer tools... I don't care one bit for the hook, and I haven't lost the awl. I have a Tinker, and was surprised how little effort it took before it started pulling the center pin while torquing on a screw. So, for phillips, I actually prefer using the can opener. That would only really leave the corkscrew, which I never need or use. So, the only great backside tool, the awl, isn't lost.

I almost never need tweezers, and while it doesn't have a toothpick, it still has that awl, so... :facepalm:

us Offline sambeaux

Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 08:55:47 PM
Thank you all so much for the replies. :) I think I am enlightened.

So the knife itself is thinner than a comparable 91mm model ( due to scale thickness ), but the individual tools are thicker/sturdier. Is that correct?

I still can't see using a 93mm for EDC... I use the corkscrew and tweezers on a fairly regular basis. However,
I can certainly see grabbing a Farmer for my bugout bag. The price is reasonable and I like the idea of sturdier tools.

I also hate the look of worn surface finishes. I would ONLY get the silver alox. Otherwise, I would hate every nick, scratch, etc in the finish.

Thanks again for the info.

Sam

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 08:59:11 PM
I think it may be a perception thing; I've carried both and the Alox seems to be a bit heftier. Though I've never chipped a plastic scale, that isn't an issue with the Alox models. Now, if Vic would replace that stupid file thingy with a small blade.... :gimme:
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 09:16:44 PM
@sambeaux:Just buy a Farmer and get it over with :pok: On paper,Alox has little or no advantage in my book...but get one in the hand?Boy oh boy!

@Mitt: High and welcome :waving:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline sambeaux

Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 09:19:19 PM
I think it may be a perception thing; I've carried both and the Alox seems to be a bit heftier. Though I've never chipped a plastic scale, that isn't an issue with the Alox models. Now, if Vic would replace that stupid file thingy with a small blade.... :gimme:

It's funny you mention the "file thingy". I specifically bought a Sportsman to replace my Tinker Small... because it had a file thingy and a corkscrew.  :oops: I was kinda looking at the Cadet, but I think I prefer my Sportsman. I think I will look into a Farmer for BOB duty, though.

@kirk13: As soon as I can find a Farmer in person, I will definitely check it out.

Sam

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 09:39:16 PM
My appeal to alox is a few different things. Like others have said they just feel hefty. Maybe its the feeling of holding something made of solid metal?  :think: I like the alox cross pattern for grip and think it looks very appealing brand new and can even look better worn with use. I love having a inline awl as well. The only thing I do not like about alox SAK's is that Victorinox does not make any models that include SCISSORS!  :twak: I guess that's why we MOD our SAK's.  :) I really like alox for dirty tasks because of the ease of cleaning. I mean sure a cellidor model can be cleaned easily as well, but you don't have to worry about taking off the scales and ruining them or leaving them on and hoping no water gets trapped inside the scales. If you ever cleaned a see through scaled SAK you know what I mean. I can clean a alox and give it a once over with my air compressor and its ready to go. These are just a few reasons I carry alox more, but I love to carry all makes and models.
I'm the milk man!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 11:02:18 PM
Feeling, nothing more than feeling…

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 11:09:30 PM
Thank you all so much for the replies. :) I think I am enlightened.

So the knife itself is thinner than a comparable 91mm model ( due to scale thickness ), but the individual tools are thicker/sturdier. Is that correct?

I still can't see using a 93mm for EDC... I use the corkscrew and tweezers on a fairly regular basis. However,
I can certainly see grabbing a Farmer for my bugout bag. The price is reasonable and I like the idea of sturdier tools.

I also hate the look of worn surface finishes. I would ONLY get the silver alox. Otherwise, I would hate every nick, scratch, etc in the finish.

Thanks again for the info.

Sam
No mate, the knife is quite a lot thicker :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline hiljentaa

Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 11:59:00 PM
They look, feel and wear nicer while being thinner than cellidor models.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 12:23:54 AM
There's something about holding that cold metal in your hands.  It just feels sooo right!

Here's a couple of shots comparing my Climber to my Soldier.

br Offline rmagralha

Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 12:52:18 AM
Besides all the practical and technical stuff mentioned above, if you collect, is pretty cool!!! :tu:
DSC01659.JPG
* DSC01659.JPG (Filesize: 294.18 KB)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 12:54:32 AM
The tools on the 93mm knives are significantly beefier than the tools on the 91mm line.  The alox scales are much more resistant than plastic to impact, chemicals, and heat.  If you don't have a 93mm alox knife, you owe it to yourself to get one.  Even if it becomes a BOB or drawer knife rather than an EDC, you won't regret it.   :pok:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 01:01:44 AM
Yes, I agree. They do look rather good when you collect them.

The size, feel, and weight are just right for a pocket knife. This is their appeal.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 01:25:51 AM
@ sambeaux

I too asked the same question not long after joining here, but it was only a matter of time before I bought some to try  :D Here's my thoughts:

I have dropped a standard SAK occasionally and broke/chipped a scale. Not going to happen with alox
As for the slightly wider blades - pretty much no difference in function in my opinion
Alox has a more limited choice of tools, but are great for collectors of the various limited colour schemes (not me I hasten to add)
The awl on the alox is absolutely fantastic
I like toothpick, tweezers, scissors and corkscrew on a SAK - none of which is available on a factory built alox
Some people prefer the ergonomics from having a smooth backspring, but not smooth scales
It's easier to find and buy an alox knife with a hooked pruner blade than a celidor one

My preference? Celidor. I do occasionally carry an alox knife Pioneer or Pioneer Harvester, but you are far more likely to catch me with a standard model which has scissors and the extra stuff I want. You hit the nail on the head in your OP ... they have a cult like following, and there are people who would sell their granny's right leg to get a ribbed voyageur only to put it away in a drawer. There are others however who find them the most practical knife for their day to day needs.

Thing is, what do YOU like about them. I'd suggest that if you have to ask the question, the answer is .... not enough!  Me buying and trying some didn't turn me into a convert, but it might for you. Look into which alox model might work best, and try that one for a while. Bottom line though is that for the most part they are the same tools in a different wrapper  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

br Offline rmagralha

Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 01:43:07 AM
Yes, I agree. They do look rather good when you collect them.

The size, feel, and weight are just right for a pocket knife. This is their appeal.

:ahhh  :drool:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 01:48:58 AM
My Pioneer, Farmer, and Wenger SI's are built like tanks.  If I'm doing hard work with my knife/tools, I love having an Alox in my pocket.  That being said, I tend to carry celidor models more often than not.  The Farmer might have to go to work tomorrow though.....
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 01:50:26 AM
My first EDC Victorinox. The Alox Farmer. Today was the first carry day. Im pissed I didnt buy one sooner. Whats not cool about a knife swept around an awl. I decided on alox for the duribility,looks and the fat blade. Also im not gonna lose a tweezer or tooth pick.
9309082669_4a266d8dc4_z.jpg
* 9309082669_4a266d8dc4_z.jpg (Filesize: 168.16 KB)
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 01:53:09 AM
That settles it, Farmer in my pocket tomorrow.  :)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 02:08:17 AM
That settles it, Farmer in my pocket tomorrow.  :)

nice choice :tu:
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 02:09:41 AM
I too asked the question regarding Alox and decided to give one a go. I got a silver farmer and it is simply a fantastic feeling SAK.  the heft of the alox is very nice and the hand feel is great.  I use mine as a simple classy carry and dont care about the lack of back tools. go ahead and get one and see for youself what the hype is.  please follow up and let us know what your observations are.  the colors are beautiful though ive only seen them here, I'd like to get a nice colored one at some point just to have.       
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Jailbird

Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 02:10:04 AM
My only alox are a Cadet and a Money clip, so I can't comment much on the 93mm stuff. What I can say about the Cadet is, it sort of has a feeling of elegance. Whenever I'm dressing nice for the evening, I carry a Cadet. I really want to pull the trigger on an Electrician, but I think the wife might put her foot down.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #26 on: July 18, 2013, 02:14:05 AM
What's not to love;)

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1374106381780.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1374106381780.jpg (Filesize: 18.94 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1374106402179.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1374106402179.jpg (Filesize: 18.69 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1374106432898.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1374106432898.jpg (Filesize: 30.92 KB)
K-Tibbs

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #27 on: July 18, 2013, 02:22:28 AM
well, you know the way a Swiss army knife just feels so much better than a cheap generic pocket knife?

Imagine that step up again and IMO that is how Alox feels in your hand. They have a solid quality about them that the Cellidor knives don't.

Personally I like the worn look, it's like a faded pair of jeans.

A Cadet (or Cadet II if you don't like the nailfile) is a great first Alox. You'll be amazed how slim they are.
But beware, people call them SAK-crack for a reason, they are addictive.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 02:24:01 AM by PTRSAK »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #28 on: July 18, 2013, 02:51:48 AM
Sambeaux, I think the idea of a Farmer in a BOB is an excellent idea.

Maybe not strange, but I think the Swisstool Spirit X is an even BETTER idea.

I have both. I carry the Swisstool. Not because comparable tools are better, only that it has more tool options.

I'm still looking for a good place to put my Farmer, and haven't yet come up with one. For the time being, it's in a general disaster preparedness home kit.

us Offline Saluki

Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 03:02:00 AM
I think I am drawn to the alox models more due to aesthics than any difference in functionality.  I grew up with traditional slip-joint pocket knives, the kind you would find from companies like Case, Schrade, Buck, etc.  I have always loved the solid feel of these knives and the heft that comes with knives constructed from a combination of steel, brass, nickel silver, bone/wood, etc.

Until the last couple of years, I didn't even realize that the alox models existed.  Cellidor SAKs were the only ones I knew.  While I always appreciated the tool choices available with the cellidor models, there was something about the thin blade stock and plastic handles that always left me wanting something more. Granted, the cellidor models were probably more than durable enough for my needs, they never quite had that same feel of the traditional slip joints that I had grown up with.

All that changed when I discovered alox.  The thicker blades, the smooth backsprings, and the elegant textured scales give me the same aesthetic feel of a well made traditional slip joint, but I get the added benefit of some extra tools that I wouldn't get with a traditional pocket knife.  In a sense it becomes the best of both worlds.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%