Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Identify this SOG please

J-sews · 35 · 5531

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Identify this SOG please
on: April 29, 2008, 04:46:24 AM
So I just completed this trade with another member for a nearly-new SOG tool. Its got the new piano locks. Its got the new plier head with big wire cutters and lots of little SOGs on it. And its got the new gear covers. So then I flip over to the SOG website HERE to try and figure out which model number I have. Sure, its a PowerLock, but SOG lists a whole bunch of them. Its like they change one blade and the whole tool gets a new model number. ::)

So anyhow, I thought I understood the models with all the new features were going to be classified as PowerLock 2.0? But that's not what the web site shows. Mine appears to be a either standard PowerLock S60 or a PowerLock EOD S61 (both pictures on the SOG site are identical)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Identify this SOG please
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 04:57:25 AM
Couple more close-ups just 'cause I'm playing with my camera:

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 06:06:14 AM
Bob,that looks like a PowerLock EOD S61 with scissors,the S69 has the V-cutter.

http://sogknives.com/store/S61.html

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 08:46:14 AM
That looks mint mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 11:21:50 AM
God I realy like that head design. I think that the pointed tip would be great to use. I really got to be looking more at the new SOG.

I just wish that the Main blade of them were a little more beefy. i kinda feel the blade now is more flexy than I like.
S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 04:39:39 AM
Bob,that looks like a PowerLock EOD S61 with scissors,the S69 has the V-cutter.

http://sogknives.com/store/S61.html

Thanks!

To be honest, I guess I was trying to be a little sarcastic. The SOG site shows this picture of the S60:  http://sogknives.com/store/S60.html
And the picture you linked to of the S61: http://sogknives.com/store/S61.html

But the two pictures are identical as near as I can tell!  :P  Probably some sort of screw-up. Oh well. 

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 04:43:52 AM
Bob, How well do you like those piano locks?
"

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 04:49:57 AM
If those heads came in black, I'd consider getting one and installing it on my existing Powerlock :D
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 04:58:07 AM
Bob, How well do you like those piano locks?

Honestly.........I'm puzzled by them. The big question is WHY? ???

Why did they change from the old lock bar? These piano locks function okay, but no better or worse than the old one. They certainly must be more expensive to produce. (There are six fingers in each handle! Each one polished to a SOG mirror finish!) But they don't actually do anything better than the old one.

I thought maybe the idea was to provide individual backspring pressure like he Vic SwissTool or Spirit has. Y'know, to prevent blade clumping. But nope, the blades clump just as much as any SOG before it did.

So no real complaints I guess, but no real praise either.  :-\

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 06:16:19 AM
Bob the only thing I have read that is different between the S60,and the S61 is that the S61 has a hard wire cutter.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 03:23:42 AM
Bob the only thing I have read that is different between the S60,and the S61 is that the S61 has a hard wire cutter.

Ahh! Thank you sir, I missed that.  :)

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 05:41:29 AM
A small problem that I notice on my powerlocks is the medium flathead/can opener tends to sink down in the handle farther than the rest of the tools.  That prevents you from locking another tool open untill you reach in and pull the flathead back up level with the other tools.  The piano locks by working independently on each tool may solve this problem.   At least thats my theory :).   Could be one reason for the new locks.

* 112_0820 (Small).JPG (Filesize: 29.97 KB)
Dennis

us Offline Chris@SOG

Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 05:51:23 PM
It is the S60 and S61.  At one point we had tow different plier heads for the S60 and S61. But now with the new plier head they actually use the same plier head and are identical.  The only reason we still have both part numbers is because some customers only have one or the other number in their accounting systems.  Also the civilian market does not really like the EOD term to be on their tools.

Hope this helps.
Chris

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: May 02, 2008, 12:33:08 AM
Thanks Chris!

and so will the PowerLock "2.0" designation continue to be used, or will that term be dropped?

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 09:20:03 PM
i have a question, i just got an S61 EOD, and the plier head seems diferent from bob's the wire cutter is small well maybe a picture will be more eloquent:

detail of the wire cutters

they both are S61 EOD? or they are different models?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 09:22:01 PM by cliosguy »
A

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 09:56:21 PM
That's the older style head. Weird you have the piano lock and gear cover but old head. I have one with old lock and exposed gear but new head.  ???

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 11:34:57 PM
That's the older style head. Weird you have the piano lock and gear cover but old head. I have one with old lock and exposed gear but new head.  ???

Yah that is strange.  :think:

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #17 on: December 07, 2008, 11:48:49 PM
I have one with the new head and old locks and gears..  :-\
B

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 12:56:35 AM
I knew there was something strange about it....the sad part is that i bought this one looking for the new head(as it was on the pictures of the web site where i bought it) damn :-\
A

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 01:00:01 AM
I would take it up with them, clearly false advertising. Or call SOG and ask if they ever make any like that, maybe whoever sold you swapped the head.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 07:07:19 AM
well i just mail them, lets wait to see what they can do for me, in the worst case scenario ill be willing to pay for a plier head replacement, i really wanted that huge wire cutting area :cry:
A

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 06:17:40 PM
J-sews (can I call you Bob?), those are fantastic pictures!  I never cared much for the gear covers and piano locks (I have the original Powerlock) but those pictures look great.  Makes me want to run out and buy a new Powerlock... well, almost.  I still don't like those new features.  :D
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 07:51:51 PM
well sog just mail me back, offering me to change the plier head in case amazon cant, to be honest i havent mail amazon yet, im doing it as i write this so lets see how it develops

btw, great customer service from sog! Lindsay Misquez very polite and helpful
A

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 08:13:31 PM
glad to hear it! and good to know reps, I'm not far from them! :salute:
eventually I'll be going there.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 03:59:42 AM
well if sog customer service is great, amazon custom services is not too far, they offer me change the sog and pay me for send them the wrong one back to them, even when send them the old one cost me 42 dlrs(im in honduras(central america))

cliosguy is happy :D
A

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 05:26:26 AM
well if sog customer service is great, amazon custom services is not too far, they offer me change the sog and pay me for send them the wrong one back to them, even when send them the old one cost me 42 dlrs(im in honduras(central america))

cliosguy is happy :D

Wow, that is pretty amazing! Kudos to both SOG and Amazon. :tu:

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 05:31:01 AM
The tool is still weird thou. Consider both LM123 and me have old handle with new head, that would suggest SOG have new head in production before new handle so they just started using new head on everything they make. Now here's one that's exactly the opposite.  :think:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 05:33:19 AM
The tool is still weird thou. Consider both LM123 and me have old handle with new head, that would suggest SOG have new head in production before new handle so they just started using new head on everything they make. Now here's one that's exactly the opposite.  :think:

Yeah, I agree completely. (mine is just like yours too) What explanation could there possibly be? :think:

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: December 10, 2008, 05:50:27 AM
my guess is that they run out of new head and used old stock, or try to get rid off the old stock by putting old heads in some new s61....but im leaning to the first guess :think:
A

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #29 on: December 10, 2008, 08:18:04 PM
I got mine from Loudliam. I wonder where he bought it?  ???
B

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD