Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The 30 Day Victorinox Huntsman Challenge! 36937

No Life Club Posts: 1,307 Queen's Venturer
Re: The 30 Day Victorinox Huntsman Challenge!
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2013, 06:52:42 AM »
Day 24 and all is well! Somehow!

First up: stripping forms (there's a lot of forming and un-forming in the early days of a building). Unfortunately, brute force was only an option for most of the stripping, thanks to a water line coming out of the ground tight to the form. Fortunately, Vicky is versatile, maneuverable, and willing to attack screws outside of the can opener's usual purview:

It was a three-inch Robertson screw, but eventually Vicky won!

It would have taken forever if I'd had to do that the whole way, but fortunately the other 20 feet of forms got pounded out with a hammer. Never underestimate the versatility of a good hammer. The only downside is that the form pins (big, hammer-into-the-ground ones, not those little ones Vicky pried earlier this month) all looked like this:

Good luck getting those screws out!

I tried a couple of methods for straightening the screws enough for them to fall out, and it was Vicky who offered the most elegant (and, for real, the fastest) solution.

Why don't people like the hook? Man, I love the hook!

Thanks, Vic!

Please stop calling me Vic.

The last step in getting forms off was prying out the section that was embedded in over-flowed concrete. I couldn't get my hammer's claws behind it to pry, so I needed to:
  • Pry it out with Vicky,
  • Set my hammer, which still wouldn't quite fit, in place, and
  • Pound my hammer in with a sledge hammer while maintaining pressure on Vicky.

To be honest, at this point I've given up even worrying about Vicky's prybar. I'm not even sure what kind of monstrous terror I'd have to unleash to break that thing.

When I got home, it was time for some easier but (in my opinion) more important work. I needed to ream out the keychain hole on my cyclometer sensor's battery key so I could get it on a keyring, because loseable things on keychains become less loseable.

It's sexy reaming time!

Job finished:

I'm not sure Sigma needs to make locking battery compartments, because the resale value of CR-2032s is maybe 0 cents.

The key is now in my bike parts tacklebox, and Vicky is back in my pocket. There you have it: Day 24!

Edit—in that last picture, you can see all the scratching on Vicky's front scale. The back is basically the same. I love when SAKs start to look used like that.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,607
« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2013, 08:46:49 AM »
Jothra,

Vicky almost got me on Day 19...

I thought it was going to die on that day, and I worn my 3D glasses just to get ready to mourn it's loss. 8)

In ancient times, Greeks achieved immortality thru glorious death.  As Day 30 is getting closer, I can't help but to think--are we going to see Vicky achieves its "immortality" or "live long and prosper"? :pok:

Vicky,

If there is one word you could say to this strange world of humans, what is it gonna be?  :D
Admin Team Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,211
« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2013, 05:52:06 PM »
I think she might say 1)Ouch!
2)Ba$$$rd
3)S**t,not again!

There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 23,248 Wooooo!
« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2013, 05:57:22 PM »
I think she might say 1)Ouch!
2)Ba$$$rd
3)S**t,not again!

Ha, Ouch was my first thought as well.  Poor Vicky.  At least she seems to be a tough old bird :D  Very interesting read too Jothra :tu:

K-Tibbs
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2013, 06:15:12 PM »
I think "oh no, not again" might sum it up quite nicely.

Tool damage today, but you get to wait until I'm home from work to find out what it is!
« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2013, 06:19:00 PM »

Tool damage today, but you get to wait until I'm home from work to find out what it is!

:o  Oh no :dwts:

K-Tibbs
No Life Club Posts: 2,791
« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2013, 06:39:13 PM »
The horror!
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,673
« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2013, 06:53:34 PM »
 :dwts:

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,607
« Reply #128 on: August 14, 2013, 07:49:20 PM »

I think Vicky and I will both say the same thing...
« Reply #129 on: August 15, 2013, 12:54:56 AM »
As I mentioned a couple of posts ago, I damaged one of Vicky's tools today. Which tool? How badly damaged is it? Can penguins fly? Find all these answers and more herein!

Day 25 was reasonably busy. First up is something so common it's probably getting boring: prying stuff!

Concrete, naturally.

Once the concrete was out of the way under all the rebar I needed to remove, I cut all the rebar (with an angle grinder, not with Vicky). Then, along one side, I needed to remove some super-flimsy tie wire. My pliers were forever and a day away, so I used the first tool I figured could break all the wire off in a hurry:

Quick twist and done!

I'll tell you what we learned doing this, though. We learned that it's best to break about half of the strands of this wire at a time, or you will absolutely twist the crap out of your hook. When I realized I was slowly twisting my hook's head clear off its shoulders, I twisted in the opposite direction for awhile, twisting it back just barely far enough that it still closes without rubbing (much).

Note the rakish angle of the end of the hook. Classy, yes?

With the awl open as well for context. Classy, no?

This is the first actual damage Vicky has sustained all month, including that time I did that thing you hated (I'll let you decide which one I'm talking about). I consider myself very lucky I was able to bend it back into a reasonable shape without snapping it off. The hook is not meant for applying torsional force. Lesson learned.

Awhile later, I misplaced my pencil, but Vicky took it in stride. As I think I've said before, if there's one thing the Huntsman is good at, it's taking things in stride.

As long as I mark my lines straight, does it matter what I do it with?

After some cutting, I had a scored section of plywood I needed to cut through...but first I needed to clear all the sawdust out of it. Redemption time!

Go hook go!

Finally, to end the workday, It was Easy Job Time, and Vicky got to make one of these to hold some screws:

There must be a dozen of these things with different-sized screws in them now.

Ever since Lynn LeFey, Nhoj and I found our weird Pepsico can trick over in the Cheap and Cheerful forum, I've been using them for everything around there.

So, damaged, but not hookless (despite my best efforts), Vicky marches on after a tumultuous Day 25!

Edited because some genius forgot to close an italics tag.
« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2013, 01:06:56 AM »
Well Vicky can't stay young forever. I'm glad that the damage wasn't something like snapping off the main blade. And on a side note, just to fill my multitool addiction I keep cutting off soda can tops when I have soda. :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 02:06:51 AM by Nhoj »
« Reply #131 on: August 15, 2013, 02:20:59 AM »
That was scary :o but at least you managed to avoid permanent damage/destruction.  Vicky proves yet again that she's a toughy :tu:

K-Tibbs
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,909 Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
« Reply #132 on: August 15, 2013, 02:31:01 AM »
I think the biggest surprise for me in this trial is how many uses you've found for the hook. I don't know if I can describe how cool it is to see a real-world hard work test on a tool.

Also, happy to be part of the learning process on pepsi-co lid-removal. Nice that it'll get used, and help you out IRL.
« Reply #133 on: August 15, 2013, 06:39:12 AM »
You guys know exactly how I felt when I first saw the hook pulling a Linda Blair. I had that pit-of-stomach feeling I get when I'm pretty sure I'm about to extra destroy something by trying to fix it.

I think the biggest surprise for me in this trial is how many uses you've found for the hook. I don't know if I can describe how cool it is to see a real-world hard work test on a tool.

I already knew the hook was useful now and then, but I didn't expect to get quite this much out of it. Having my faith in the hook more than justified is kind of a nice feeling.

One thing you guys may have noticed is how little I have appeared to use the scissors compared to every other one of Vicky's tools. I actually use them all the time, but mostly for nail maintenance and other grooming tasks. Also, any restaurant that has those little paper rings to hold their napkins and silverware together ends up with tiny origami dinosaurs and other prehistoric reptiles, which often need little cuts. Yay scissors!
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,602 Smurf smash!
« Reply #134 on: August 15, 2013, 09:54:45 AM »
When I was trying to decide which SAK to get, I read so much hook-hate I various places that I just HAD to have the hook on my SAK...   :facepalm: :rofl:

This 30-day challenge has already proved many times that I chose the right one  :D

"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:
No Life Club Posts: 4,468 Don't judge a tool by it's brand
« Reply #135 on: August 15, 2013, 10:48:12 AM »
Ouch...  :dwts:

But, besides that,

How about those penguins?  :popcorn:

A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html
« Reply #136 on: August 15, 2013, 02:42:08 PM »
Ouch...  :dwts:

But, besides that,

How about those penguins?  :popcorn:

Are you kidding? They can't even see over the flight console.
« Reply #137 on: August 15, 2013, 04:18:57 PM »
When I was trying to decide which SAK to get, I read so much hook-hate I various places that I just HAD to have the hook on my SAK...   :facepalm: :rofl:

This 30-day challenge has already proved many times that I chose the right one  :D

That's the way to do it!
« Reply #138 on: August 16, 2013, 12:58:59 AM »
Alright, I have a few minutes to spare, so Day 26 is going to be in two parts: work stuff, and after-work stuff. I have some bike maintenance to do tonight, so I can just about guarantee there will be more pictures later this evening.

As for work, this morning I had to do the rasping thing again to fit a piece of backing in a space for which it was ever so slightly too big.

This picture is actually of me trying to work the backing out a bit. The rasping looks more raspy.

More often today is what I suspect is the most common work thing apart from cutting that Vicky's done: prying! I had to lift a bunch of backing pieces a bit before screwing them on to make sure they were level. Vicky makes an excellent wedge.

A'yup.

In one case, the wedging needed more oomph, so I added gunpowder!

Day 26 could have ended with a bang!

I'm just kidding. The cartridges are all empty. I just needed the extra leverage.

That's it for work, but stay tuned for more later tonight (possibly with my road bike! Sexy!)
Full Member Posts: 115
« Reply #139 on: August 16, 2013, 01:45:49 AM »
I just read through the whole thread. :o Very good testing of what a quality SAK can handle in day to day tasks and above. I'm looking forward to the updates. :salute:
« Reply #140 on: August 16, 2013, 02:12:11 AM »
I just read through the whole thread. :o Very good testing of what a quality SAK can handle in day to day tasks and above. I'm looking forward to the updates. :salute:
Hopefully my next update doesn't have awesome sentences like "More often today is what I suspect is the most common work thing apart from cutting that Vicky's done: prying!" What a mess!
Full Member Posts: 115
« Reply #141 on: August 16, 2013, 02:35:27 AM »
Hopefully my next update doesn't have awesome sentences like "More often today is what I suspect is the most common work thing apart from cutting that Vicky's done: prying!" What a mess!

That sounded like a politician speaking. :D As long as it sounds intelligent and you use big words, you're good to go. :P
« Reply #142 on: August 16, 2013, 06:33:22 AM »
Day 26 ended with something more important than building a business park: bicycles!

Vicky's hard to spot, because Swiss Army Knives and my repair stand are the same colour.

I needed to clean up my brake pads (which I'm going to have to replace soon enough anyway). Step 1, unfortunately, requires a 2.5mm hex key, which Vicky can't replicate (don't think I haven't tried). Guest shot time, Gerber Zip Hex!

Credit where credit is due, after all.

Here's the rear drive-side brake pad. This particular pad should be a reddish-pink.

It isn't. Blurg.

First I wiped it with a damp cloth, then it was Vicky to the rescue! The small blade picked out some pieces of grit embedded in the rubber.

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick the grit out of your brake pads. Wait, yes you can! What's the punchline again?

Next the small blade scraped the grossest leftover lumps from the pad.

Then a quick sanding, and here are some new-found friends:

Yeah baby yeah!

Three more times, and Vicky can call it a night!

Finally, the actual end of Day 26!
No Life Club Posts: 4,468 Don't judge a tool by it's brand
« Reply #143 on: August 16, 2013, 12:11:29 PM »
 :ahhh  Just 4 days left!  :ahhh

:(

A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html
« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2013, 02:34:47 AM »
Day 27 happens to be my last day of construction, possibly ever. First, though it gave me something to get all rubric red excited about! Dumb tool misuse with surprising results? Check!

I don't know if you've ever tried to get into a scissor lift that's raised up to roof height, had the emergency stop in the basket controls pressed, and then abandoned while a six-foot parapet is added to the roof, but I can tell you it's not possible to do very safely. The good news is there are controls at the bottom of the lift for just such a contingency. The bad news is the lift is ten hundred years old, and the hatch cover for the controls is bent and dented, not to mention sealed shut by ancient drywall mud. Good thing a certain pocket tool has a prybar!

Yes, I do believe that's K.I.T.T. in there.

And, of course, more prying.

The picture is misleading. The plywood is perpendicular to the deck.

Here's where things got a little interesting. One piece of backing was a little loose, so I got it to about the right height, then got one screw in the middle, and lightly tapped the one end down to the right height.

Well, I say I tapped it lightly, but who am I kidding?

The next piece was not loose. I needed to seriously wail on it to knock it into place, but my hammer had already been taken down to my truck by a well-meaning soul. So...

IT'S HAMMER TIME!

I went to town on that thing. Naturally it's hard to tell in a still image, but I was swinging like crazy. Vicky used all of her brute strength on that bandito plywood. And you know what?

No new damage. Not a single scuff mark.

Day 27.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 9,745 You're amongst friends.
« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2013, 02:49:59 AM »
Impressive, Sir.  And what will the next 3 days hold?  >:D

SAW
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,793 What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
« Reply #147 on: August 17, 2013, 04:40:28 AM »
Looks like a little demon in there with those red eyes.  :D

I'm the milk man!
« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2013, 04:52:37 AM »
Can't comment hammer time playing in my head.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,602 Smurf smash!
« Reply #149 on: August 17, 2013, 07:39:26 AM »
STOP! Hammer time!  :rofl:

"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
January Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: $62.47