Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The 30 Day Victorinox Huntsman Challenge!

Jothra · 234 · 38291

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Re: The 30 Day Victorinox Huntsman Challenge!
Reply #150 on: August 18, 2013, 10:38:07 AM
Every single thing I was meant to accomplish today got waylaid due to a series of ridiculous errors and thoughtless decisions. Day 27 is getting bumped forward a day.

It would have been hilarious in a TV movie, but in real life my day was dumb as a rock that ate paint chips as a kid.

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #151 on: August 18, 2013, 11:06:49 AM
Well that's unfortunate!  I hate days like that.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 4

“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #152 on: August 18, 2013, 05:44:42 PM
Well that's unfortunate!  I hate days like that.

They don't happen often, but it's like watching a train wreck.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #153 on: August 19, 2013, 09:29:27 AM
I was obviously tired when I made that post, because not only did it sound super-cranky, but it totally should have read Day 28.

The New Day 28 (which, obviously, is better than New Coke) was, naturally, construction-free (like me!) Instead, it was bike maintenance time!

First up, I had to swap out my bottom bracket. I'll spare you the entire boring process, save for this part:

Gross chain! Eww!

Normally I would just suck it up and remove the chain with my hand anyway, but I thought, why not? Of course, I later cleaned the chain, which would have totally removed the problem. Oh brother.

Is it getting hook-ish around here, or is it me? I wanted to adjust the forks a bit, and I absolutely had the right hex key for the job. But you know what else I had? Vicky, and a pack of Leatherman flat-profile bits. Therefore, in what I assume was my only real option, I borrowed this idea from Xelkos over in the Hints and Tips thread:

Check me out! I'm doing it!

It worked like a charm. Those flat bits fit perfectly in the hook, and as long as you turn the right direction, it all works beautifully. Then, if you want to turn the bolt back the other way, you just load the bit with the hook on the other side, and it's all gravy.

!ti gniod m'I !tuo em kcehc

Finally, I wanted some superglue for fixing a cracked wheel reflector (I know they're dorky, but I spend a lot of time in traffic), but my superglue was...well...superglued shut. Scissors to the rescue!

I was going to steal a joke from Robin Hood: Men In Tights, but then I realized it might be a tad less tasteful than I had first thought...

I know it doesn't seem like much, but that's Day 28!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #154 on: August 20, 2013, 04:47:29 AM
Good stuff.  Looks like Vicky is finishing strong.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #155 on: August 20, 2013, 04:59:29 AM
What is a Huntsman called without the multi purpose hook?

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #156 on: August 20, 2013, 05:51:29 AM
This is one of the best reads I've had in a long time.

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #157 on: August 20, 2013, 06:05:10 PM
This is one of the best reads I've had in a long time.

+1  :tu:

best read since the Coghlands Camper 30day challenge  ;)
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

Offline rdo

• New User
Reply #158 on: August 20, 2013, 06:21:24 PM
Day 27 happens to be my last day of construction, possibly ever. ...

Dang it, I'm a lurker, not a poster.. Nobody's asking...
why is it the last day ever?  Lotto?

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #159 on: August 21, 2013, 02:06:30 AM
Day 27 happens to be my last day of construction, possibly ever. ...

Dang it, I'm a lurker, not a poster.. Nobody's asking...
why is it the last day ever?  Lotto?

Ha ha! No. It's taken awhile, but I'm moving into full-time teaching.

The Day 29 report will appear, as if by magic, this evening. The Day 30 will appear soon after. Next, probably really late tonight, will be a last look at Vicky's overall appearance and damage. Finally, sometime early-ish tomorrow, I'll post the whole challenge rundown.

My Dad's Huntsman.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #160 on: August 21, 2013, 03:51:08 AM

Older- the hook was added 1990 or 91 across the line for everyone with scissors.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:52:47 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #161 on: August 21, 2013, 03:57:26 AM

Older- the hook was added 1990 or 91 across the line for everyone with scissors.

Thanks for the response. "My Dads Huntsman" was funny too. 

I picked one up with red scales at the flea market last week

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #163 on: August 21, 2013, 06:58:53 AM
really late tonight, will be a last look at Vicky's overall appearance and damage. Finally, sometime early-ish tomorrow, I'll post the whole challenge rundown.

Finally, as day 30 approaching, I have already starting to miss the whole challenge even before it ends.  I remember Victorinox do make a few short films about the story of their users, if this list ever submitted to Victorinox, it is going to be a 2 hours long movie.  :D

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #164 on: August 21, 2013, 08:50:32 AM
Day 29 was a sit-in-a-room-with-other-people-day kind of day, so all Vick really got to do was slice two apples, sharpen three pencils, and fortunately not those things at exactly the same time. The tweezers removed what I hope was my very last construction work sliver, which I obviously should have spotted and pulled before it started to hurt in a big meeting.

I know it's one of the more boring days, but a Huntsman's gotta nap sometimes.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #165 on: August 21, 2013, 09:46:14 AM
I'm going to level with you guys: earlier today, I was trying to think of some really cool, really stupid thing I could do with Vicky to mark the last day of the challenge. You know, something with explosions and fire, or at least some smashing with a hammer or dipping in acid or something. But, after some thought, I realized that wouldn't really be fair (or reasonable) to the entire spirit of the challenge. Instead, here are the actual things that happened on...

Day 30!

At today's meeting (continued from yesterday's), I sharpened more pencils, and cut more food. Yum! Yu the food, I mean. N ot so much the pencils.

I bought a $1 iPhone case (with built in business card holder? Well, okay...) for my work phone today, because I'm not about to spend any real money on an iPhone (especially not one that doesn't belong to me). The only problem is that, as a $1 case for a $4,000,000 phone, it naturally didn't quite...well...work.

First of all, the plastic clip thingy for the business cards was bent too tightly. I know I don't really need to keep business cards in there, because it's weird, but I dislike broken things.

Vicky! Use your super prying awl power!

It's more or less fixed, and now I should never be without my business cards, provided I have my work phone with me, which unfortunately would mean I'm at work where everybody knows who I am.

One of the edges of the actual phone-holding part wasn't formed quite right, and needed trimming down. More awl! Scrape fun!

"More awl! Scrape fun!" is basically just code for "why didn't you just spring for a $5 case at London Drugs?"

To finish off my day doing something long, tedious, and necessary, I had to take all the spokes out of a tacoed bike wheel, because the rim is toast, but the spokes and hub are just fine. Normally I'd use a specialized spoke wrench, but I thought, what the heck, why not?

Oh, look...last tool of the challenge, and it's the screwdriver. What a shocky-wock!

It took forever, because spokes are plentiful, but now I have a whole bouquet of them in my parts box, and a perfectly good hub to boot. Thanks Vicky!

So that's it. The very last day of the 30 Day Victorinox Huntsman Challenge, starring the bravest Swiss Army Knife of them all. The final damage report and rundown are on the way, as soon as the Tableobot 5000 is done processing my scantron results!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #166 on: August 21, 2013, 09:51:09 AM
All in all Vicky reigns victorious!

For all the torture testing shes been through,Day 30 was a real day in the life for many a SAK.

Thank you for the 30day test Jothra,its been a daily pleasure to real. do hope someone from Victorinox sees this,as it deserves much wider exposure.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #167 on: August 21, 2013, 10:30:11 AM
Secretly I was kind of hoping for some explosions, à la the Mythbusters, considering that Vicky is pretty much intact, but a faithful companion should be rewarded and given a noble retirement when their duties are over.

Thank you and best of luck with your future endeavors.

You are an excellent writer and humorist! :salute:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #168 on: August 21, 2013, 10:48:40 AM
Another excellent thread Jothra. It was actually quite nice to see Vicky round out her trials on "normal" duties, rather than the horrific torture testing she endured previously  :D :D

Most of us already acknowledge how excellent SAKs are in normal day to day usage, but I was mightily impressed how little damage occurred with the tasks that you might expect prove to be too much for a pocket knife.

I look forward to reading the conclusion, and finding out what Vicky has in store for her future  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #169 on: August 21, 2013, 11:15:51 AM
This had everything, drama, horror, humor, triumph! :D

:cheers:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #170 on: August 21, 2013, 11:25:15 AM
Another excellent 30 day review !   :tu:

I have greatly enjoyed this one (and the previous reviews), and I look forward to any future torture tests.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #171 on: August 21, 2013, 01:47:11 PM
Great review!  I'm glad to see Vicky made it!

“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #172 on: August 21, 2013, 01:59:47 PM
Jothra,

this 30 day challenge is amazing,  it is a great idea, well executed, informative, and exciting!  :tu:
If I can help, let me know 

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #173 on: August 21, 2013, 06:32:21 PM
Jothra,

this 30 day challenge is amazing,  it is a great idea, well executed, informative, and exciting!  :tu:

I couldn't agree more... I'm so going to miss these 30 day challenges  :'(
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

br Offline rmagralha

Reply #174 on: August 21, 2013, 06:34:12 PM
Hail to Jothra and Vicky!!! Great 30 day challenge!!!  :cheers:

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #175 on: August 21, 2013, 07:15:47 PM
   Jothra,

your idea is amazing!  if someone else wanted to do a similar experiment, would you care?

We could call it "Jothra challenge",  or "____ tool just got Jothra'd"

seriously, your challenges were amazing to follow, I do not work in an environment that allows for frequent MT or SAK use, but that does not deter me from carrying them every day.

I think you might have inspired some people around here   :tu:
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #176 on: August 21, 2013, 09:29:39 PM
Jothra, thanks for taking the time to do this challenge.  I've enjoyed reading it daily and am not surprised to see Vicky come out on top!

:cheers:
SAW

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #177 on: August 21, 2013, 10:35:29 PM
Normally, this is the part in which I tell you how absolutely destroyed a 30 Day Challenge tool is. Well, not today.

This is not what destroyed looks like.

Vicky's scales have taken on that well-used appearance, without getting all gouged, losing the metal Victorinox inlay, or developing the incredible cracks I've seen on cheaper knives.

This one springs immediately to mind.

Quick implement picture montage rundown:

Main blade still cleans up to a mirror polish.

You might be able to see the superglue dried on these scissors. I could scrape it off, but I've been lazy, and it hasn't been affecting scissor performance at all.

The bottle opener/screwdriver/etc. has minor cosmetic scratching.

The can opener/screwdriver is still pristine, and the formerly gummy backspring seems to have fixed itself through normal cleaning and use.

The awl is still exactly the same tiny bit loose as it was at the start, and has developed no rolled edges or anything.

The hook is still slightly bent, but it hasn't changed at all since that first twisting incident.

Not pictured: the saw, corkscrew, toothpick, tweezers, and straight pin are all pristine. Mind you, the straight pin isn't Victorinox factory, either.

Now that the procedural stuff is over: in the first days of the 30 Day Coghlan's Army Knife Challenge, I only ended up posting about it here (and it was one of my earliest posts) because it came up in the Cheap and Cheerful sub-forum. I could not believe how much attention it received. I wasn't originally going to do regular posts or anything, but people wanted to know what was going on! Woagh! And who knew really expected the 30 Day Coghlan's Campers Tool Challenge to follow suit?

So, when I stumbled on a $10 Huntsman display model that sat, tools open, on display for so long it still had Rostfrei stamped on the tang, I decided to try again. I knew Vicky (thanks for the naming suggestions, by the way) would outperform a $6 pocket knife or multitool, which is exactly why I didn't think it would be as fun a challenge to write. Instead, though, the expectations for this knife escalated madly, and the whole time everyone here was super encouraging and...well...fun about it the whole time.

Right now, as I write this, the 30 Day Victorinox Huntsman Challenge has 5,782 views. That puts it in the top 1% most-viewed threads in the Swiss Forum. You all did that.

So thank you, Multitool posters (and non-posters—I'm usually one of you) for making this challenge totally badass.

your idea is amazing!  if someone else wanted to do a similar experiment, would you care?
Confession: it isn't, when it comes right down to it, my idea to keep.

The first step is carrying a pocket tool basically all the time, and writing about it. Just about everyone here is old hat at carrying tools and writing about them. That's what Multitool.org forumites do. All I've really done differently is write for a very long time.

Another confession: ever since I was a little kid I've been more interested in how people use their tools than what those tools actually are. I love when people here post the weird things they can accomplish with nothing but a multifunction knife and some ingenuity.

Do it.

Edit because I have poop brain: the challenge rundown is on the way!

us Offline powernoodle

• No Life Club
Reply #178 on: August 21, 2013, 11:52:54 PM
Well done.  We look forward to your next adventure.   :D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #179 on: August 21, 2013, 11:57:35 PM
I'd like to nominate a Rebar for a Jothra 30day Test :pok:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
August Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: $25.00
PayPal Fees: $1.53
Net Balance: $23.47
Below Goal: $276.53
Site Currency: USD
 8%