Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thoughts on the Cadet?

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Re: Thoughts on the Cadet?
Reply #90 on: July 18, 2018, 05:32:04 PM
I like the Cadet, but prefer the pen blade to the nail file - so would like a Cadet II instead. :dd:
I'm in the Cadet II fold. I wish they still made them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Perception is reality

ca Offline philodemus

Reply #91 on: July 18, 2018, 08:09:42 PM
Thank you everyone for the kind words!  :)

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #92 on: July 18, 2018, 11:48:36 PM
I like the cadet and edc'd a ribbed scale version for a year or two before switching to the pioneer. Though it's hard to argue with the cadet, I just found the pioneer a bit more comfortable in use without much additional bulk.

I will say that I found the ribbed version to feel much more solid than the newer versions. I think its mainly due to the thicker blade.

I really don't think you can go wrong with one of any vintage, though! :tu:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 11:50:08 PM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #93 on: July 19, 2018, 02:52:25 AM
I enjoy a Cadet once in a while...

(Image removed from quote.)

What is that dark grey hunk of metal attached to the silver alox cadet at the bottom middle of that collection?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #94 on: July 19, 2018, 03:43:14 AM

What is that dark grey hunk of metal attached to the silver alox cadet at the bottom middle of that collection?

I've not seen one on a cadet before, but they did these on soldiers in limited runs. The fire striker knife.

Thus is from the SAKwiki soldier page:
"The Feuerschlagmesser (Fire Striker Knife), was a limited run of knives for renowned knife collector Horst Brunner of Switzerland. The Feuerschlagmesser features a steel striker on a special back spring added to the Soldier’s knife. The striker is used with Flint rock to create sparks for fire starting, and were sold with a piece of flint and firestarter material. The Fish stamp on the striker is the Maker’s Mark of H. Fischlin who designed the striker and special backspring for the knife. Victorinox produced a number of the Feuerschlagmesser for Mr. Brunner who wrote the book “Feuer und Feuerschlagmesser” (ISBN:3-7193-1156-2 / 978-3-7193-1156-8) on the history of the fire starter knives.
The original production numbers for this model made for Mr. Brunner has been reported as 658 knives, from 4 different runs:
1996 August: – 100; 1998 February: – 185; 2000 August: – 173; 2002 July: - 200
In 2008, probably using up old stock of the special strikers, Victorinox assembled a small additional number of these knives, they are reported to have later tangs “Swiss Made” w/o a date."
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

ca Offline philodemus

Reply #95 on: July 19, 2018, 03:58:19 AM

I've not seen one on a cadet before, but they did these on soldiers in limited runs. The fire striker knife.

"The Feuerschlagmesser (Fire Striker Knife), was a limited run of knives for renowned knife collector Horst Brunner of Switzerland. The Feuerschlagmesser features a steel striker on a special back spring added to the Soldier’s knife. The striker is used with Flint rock to create sparks for fire starting, and were sold with a piece of flint and firestarter material. The Fish stamp on the striker is the Maker’s Mark of H. Fischlin who designed the striker and special backspring for the knife. Victorinox produced a number of the Feuerschlagmesser for Mr. Brunner who wrote the book “Feuer und Feuerschlagmesser” (ISBN:3-7193-1156-2 / 978-3-7193-1156-8) on the history of the fire starter knives.
The original production numbers for this model made for Mr. Brunner has been reported as 658 knives, from 4 different runs:
In 2008, probably using up old stock of the special strikers, Victorinox assembled a small additional number of these knives, they are reported to have later tangs “Swiss Made” w/o a date."

Correct! That Cadet has a fish stamp on the firesteel and was a limited run from Swiss Bianco. 

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #96 on: July 19, 2018, 03:59:47 AM

Correct! That Cadet has a fish stamp on the firesteel and was a limited run from Swiss Bianco.

That's pretty nifty. Does the firesteel come off so you can strike it with one of the Cadet's tools? I would love more pictures showing how it works if you don't mind!

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #97 on: July 19, 2018, 06:26:48 AM
I like the Cadet, but prefer the pen blade to the nail file - so would like a Cadet II instead. :dd:
+1 - caninesapian wanted one so I had to mod it for him - couldn't get a Cadet II so easily.
Love this one...  I wonder if I know anyone who would do a cadet mod for me??  :whistle::whistle:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #98 on: July 19, 2018, 11:07:09 PM
I'm another fan of the Cadet.  :tu:

And, El Corkie.......

:worthless:

Here's that pic I owe you.
IMG_20180719_140242.jpg
* IMG_20180719_140242.jpg (Filesize: 177.28 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #99 on: July 19, 2018, 11:23:12 PM
 :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99