Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber MP1 IMO complete failure

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Re: Gerber MP1 IMO complete failure
Reply #30 on: September 15, 2013, 02:28:21 AM
Wow. Those prices are unusual. $41 for a Wingman is crazy-sauce, but then $65 sounds pretty good for an OHT. Glad I live a little south of the border.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #31 on: September 17, 2013, 12:32:03 PM
Well I got one and I didn't even know it. I received a Gerber in the mail last night. The seller called it a Gerber Shift, and after looking at the photos, bought it. I was a bit surprised to find MP1 on the handles.

My copy is good except for one issue. The tools when opened and locked, have a little play in them. They rattle a little when you shake it. Nothing that would affect the tools functionality. Other than that, a nice MT.

Mine was not gritty out of the box at all. Go figure.  :think:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 12:40:22 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #32 on: September 22, 2013, 09:13:42 PM
Gerber has been really hit and miss for me lately.  The Fit and Balance are both fairly nice, not perfect, but certainly usable and their main problems are finish and appearance things.  Both Octanes I have have been bad.  Well, one is still new in the box because I can see without even using it that it has the same problems that the first one I broke had.  The 600 and 400, both bought used but in like new condition, have been fine.  The Flik was terrible and, with the exception of the horrible tiny tools, the Freehand is fine. The Diesel I just bought used is fine with the exception of the plier joint being looser than I like.  It's also been more noticeably used than the others but not enough to excuse a loose plier joint, I'm betting it came that way new.

Gerber has some really nice ideas and aren't afraid to throw stuff against the wall to see what sticks.  I admire that, but they also seem to have QC problems, and that's something that makes me leery about buying them for full price.  Yea, Amazon and Amex both have my back, but it's still something of a PITA to have to go through several new tools to get a good one...or never get one at all.

And Leatherman and SOG aren't exempt from this, their quality has suffered of late as well.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #33 on: October 31, 2013, 07:44:09 AM
According to Gerbers website this tool is made or rather assembled in the U.S , I like the look of it but it seems a little expensive.

Honestly, this tool is the best Chinese-made Gerber I've ever seen. :salute:

Too bad you received a couple of duds 21z. It must be that the quality control at the factory is not being monitored closely enough. :-\

Offline mikekoz

Reply #34 on: February 16, 2014, 04:24:49 PM
  I was thinking about trying one of these. Has anybody bought one recently?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: February 18, 2014, 03:46:29 AM
Not "recently", but I did a write up on mine last fall:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=47044

Was quite pleased with the quality of the tool, not so much with the price. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%