Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Score!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Score!
on: July 24, 2013, 09:00:05 PM
Greg's recent post got me looking for an Al Mar on eBay, and although I already have one I put down a token bid on one.  I never expected to win it- in fact, I expected it to go a lot higher than it did.

To be honest, I'm not sure why I put a bid on this one- maybe it was the laugh I got at the description:

Up for auction from my old correction.
Al mar Tool knife.seki Japan made.
Very old nice condition.it's always in my Desk.
Only prier I used.other tools are Never Used and sharppend still hold factory edge.

14.5cm closed.
With Original leather sheath.

BTW, this one is coming from Japan, which is why the typed accent seemed really (rearry?) funny to me.

I really like the Al Mar 4x4 and I'm glad to have another splendid (sprendid?) example to add to my "correction."

As usual, pics on arrival! :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Score!
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 09:31:35 PM
Very cool acquisition. :tu:

I seem to remember from an old thread that there were actually two variations. :think:  .... Goes to do a search. .... Right. Beveled vrs non-beveled edges.

So do you now have both kinds? ;)  :pok:

:D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 09:53:19 PM
Congrats Def. Can't wait to see the pictures of this one when you get it.  :)
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 10:02:25 PM
smurfing sweet Def! nice score.
Nate

SEND IT!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 10:13:57 PM
Very cool acquisition. :tu:

I seem to remember from an old thread that there were actually two variations. :think:  .... Goes to do a search. .... Right. Beveled vrs non-beveled edges.

So do you now have both kinds? ;)  :pok:

:D

Absolutely correct- I have a non beveled version already:

The one I just scored appears to be a beveled version.  Here are the photos from the auction.  I hope it looks as good in person as it does in photos!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Blitzwing

Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 03:15:34 AM
I gotta get to my flea market! One guy has nothing but Al mar and he has a pre production one of those for sale.. Is 100usd a decent price?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 03:26:17 AM
Yes, very much so.  Grab it for that and I'm sure you can almost double your money on it if you don't like it.

Def

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 03:50:26 AM
Good score Grant!
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 04:36:22 AM
Glad to be able to help  :tu: (and why is there something sinfully pleasurable about being an "enabler" ? )
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 05:54:03 AM
those al mars sure are good looking. cant wait to see the pictures congrats.
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 12:04:27 PM
I actually prefer a fixed head plier tool to a folding one- I've never made any secret of that, and these Al Mar tools are just about perfect.  They are relatively simple in construction and execution yet have an elegance that makes them so comfortable and efficient to use.  I really do love them, but there is a relatively small number of them out there and I can't bring myself to use one even though these feel so nice in the hand.  One of these days I'll manage to pick up a used one and that will go into EDC rotation.

While it may not be a "perfect" multitool, I do have to say that it is very close to being multitool perfection.

Here are a few more pics of my old one to tide you over!  :D

I really wish that someone like CRKT would pick up the rights to the 4x4 and do a large scale run of these- with the prices edging up to and over the $200 mark there's obviously a market for them.

Def

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 01:20:47 PM
I actually prefer a fixed head plier tool to a folding one- I've never made any secret of that, and these Al Mar tools are just about perfect.  They are relatively simple in construction and execution yet have an elegance that makes them so comfortable and efficient to use.  I really do love them, but there is a relatively small number of them out there and I can't bring myself to use one even though these feel so nice in the hand.  One of these days I'll manage to pick up a used one and that will go into EDC rotation.

While it may not be a "perfect" multitool, I do have to say that it is very close to being multitool perfection.

Maybe you should be carrying your Depanneur as your EDC ?   :pok:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,3783.0.html

Or maybe a Wichard or Seaboard ?

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,3783.15.html

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=14918.0

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,20320.msg383078.html#msg383078

Lots of other choices in the fixed-head plier MT sub-segment when you have a good look.  :tu:

I really wish that someone like CRKT would pick up the rights to the 4x4 and do a large scale run of these- with the prices edging up to and over the $200 mark there's obviously a market for them.

Def 

I suspect the high prices are because they are a "name" brand (Al Mar) that is no longer made and were never that common to begin with. 

Demand greater than available supply = High price. 

Similar situation with the Kershaw A100 (locking pliers MT).  Lots of Kershaw (knife) collectors looking to "complete" their collections with an A100, not too many A100s around (although much more common than Al Mar MTs, there also seems to be a higher demand), resulting in high prices for good ones.

I can't see the same demand for a new run of Al Mar 4x4s unless it is in very limited numbers, which may not be worthwhile gearing up for (insufficient profits).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 01:40:24 PM
Yeah, I have lots of fixed plier head tools both in my collection and EDC.  In fact, one of the more common EDC items is my MTO branded SOG ToolClip, which I love, but is just not in the same class as the 4x4.

I am also a huge fan of the Zilla, but I'll have to get a new one as the only one I have left is my red one and that's far too special to get beat up in EDC.

The Depanneur is a nice tool as well, but just doesn't have that robust feel I insist on.  I have no doubt it's tough enough, but it just doesn't feel bulletproof.

Of course, when it comes to sheer "bullet-proof-iness" nothing beats the Grandpappy of all multitools, the Wenger SwissGrip.

As for reproducing the Al Mar, yes, you are probably right, and any limited re-issue would likely end up becoming just as rare and sought after as the originals, meaning no one would want to use them either.  I guess what I should say is that I'd like to see more fixed head plier tools on the market so I don't have to keep looking at things like this:

Or this:

And, as much as I like this as a concept:

It's just too limited for me as an EDC item.

Def

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 04:31:11 PM
.....  I guess what I should say is that I'd like to see more fixed head plier tools on the market so I don't have to keep looking at things like this:

Def

Just looking at that picture makes me think that this particular tool must be in the running for the "most useless multi-tool of all time" award, with that eensy hammer just getting in the way and being too small to actually, well, hammer anything bigger than a very small tack, and the rounded screwdriver on the bottle opener looks like it is ready to slip out of any screw slot you show it to.

Is it truly as bad as it looks ?  ???

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 05:09:17 PM
Well, it's not completely useless.  The blade doesn't have much of an edge on it, and likely couldn't hold one if it did, but it would serve as an excellent keychain to identify your keys if you ever accidentally dropped them in a fishbowl at a party. 

:ahhh

Def

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 05:55:02 PM
Well, it's not completely useless.  The blade doesn't have much of an edge on it, and likely couldn't hold one if it did, but it would serve as an excellent keychain to identify your keys if you ever accidentally dropped them in a fishbowl at a party

:ahhh

Def

You really are a "glass half full" kinda guy, aren't you ?  :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 07:03:57 PM
:rofl:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 11:25:12 PM
So, imagine Jules Winfield in Pulp Fiction, when he describes his wallet, the one with 'Bad MotherSmurfer' on it, instead describing his keys as the one with the tiny hammer on it.

Just... just, NOT the same.  :facepalm:
 :rofl:

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 04:22:28 PM

The one I just scored appears to be a beveled version.  Here are the photos from the auction.  I hope it looks as good in person as it does in photos!

Just in case anyone is interested, it looks like the same seller has another Al Mar 4x4 for sale (they are from Japan, similar spelling and word construction, and most significantly, the background looks the same) :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-AL-MAR-4-4-Tool-mate-Knife-Seki-Japan-/130958991223?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item1e7dc39f77
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 04:39:09 PM by gregozedobe »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 07:25:05 PM
The 4x4 arrived safe and sound today. I can't vouch for the guy, but he certainly did right by me.  I'd deal with him again.

Def

Sent from the place I sent it from

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 09:41:03 PM
The 4x4 arrived safe and sound today. I can't vouch for the guy, but he certainly did right by me.  I'd deal with him again.

Def

Sent from the place I sent it from

You know we'll require lots of pics. :D And some side by side ones too. :whistle:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 09:47:54 PM
It's amazing what a difference the beveled edges make.  It feels like a totally different tool, while at the same time feeling like it is absolutely the same one.  Hard to explain, but fascinating!

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: August 04, 2013, 11:42:29 PM
I just snapped some quick, awful photos. 

Note that in addition to the beveled handle edges, the newer beveled version also has Seki- Japan stamped into the tang of the plain blade.

Otherwise these are pretty well identical.

Def

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 12:52:41 AM

(Image removed from quote.)
Note that in addition to the beveled handle edges, the newer beveled version also has Seki- Japan stamped into the tang of the plain blade.

Def

Are you sure? The pliers on the beveled edges version looks somewhat thinner to me in this photo. The pivot screw looks smaller too. And the phillips seems to have a more acute tip, cut deeper, ... :think: Not sure how to describe it. It may be only the camera angle though. :shrug:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 02:26:42 AM
Hmm, I'll have to pull out my calipers and take some measurements.

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 11:45:07 PM
Very nice, congrats again! :cheers: Hmmm, that makes three generations of these then, as there was also a batch made with a completely flush plier pivot (no screw head) :think:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 12:20:03 AM
Crap, I guess I have to get another one now!

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 12:23:39 AM
There's always one more to get. :multi:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 04:38:34 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Def

Are you sure? The pliers on the beveled edges version looks somewhat thinner to me in this photo. The pivot screw looks smaller too. And the phillips seems to have a more acute tip, cut deeper, ... :think: Not sure how to describe it. It may be only the camera angle though. :shrug:

I snapped a few more photos this morning and you can see that not only is the beveled version (left) thinner than the non beveled version (right), the beveled version is also ground down a bit as it gets to the tip.

You can also see that the older, non beveled handle version is not terribly even.  The jaws don't line up and it even looks like the plate the teeth are on is crooked.

The newer beveled version has a much nicer finished head.

Not really Earth shattering, but these are some very interesting differences to note.  I wonder if the bulky, crooked plier head on the older, non beveled handle version is typical, if I got a very early version, or if I just got a Monday morning or Friday afternoon tool?

Def

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 04:48:02 PM
The beveled version does look like a much nicer tool. :tu: I've noticed the more ground to the tip part on the original pictures but just wanted to verify. :D

What about the philips driver? Are there differences too?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%