Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Review of the Buck X-Tract Fin

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Review of the Buck X-Tract Fin
on: July 13, 2013, 09:47:07 AM
This was my FIRST review ever on my EDC blog (that has now long overdue in updates...)

Buck X-Tract Fin - Model 732   Buck X-Tract appeared on the market a few years ago and made a hit and confusion.  Engineers Buck wanted to get out of the stereotypes, break the mold, and finally designed a multitool that can be handled entirely with one hand.  Once achieved the popularity that was founded on the fact that the knife is the main factor, rather than combined pliers.  After that Buck has decided to shake up the market a bit with some new models.  Among others is my top choice Buck X-Tract Fin aimed at anglers, but also to all those who find that they have more valuable than scissors can opener / bottle (by removing the opener of the original X Tract and adding shear created nice version).
  X-Tract Fin is still the good old X-Tract, but with three major design changes.  First we have a common edge instead of the combined regular / serrated, also blasted blade is polished unlike the earlier versions.  This treatment may be more susceptible to rust, but the combination of Buck 420HC further heat-treated with regular maintenance and cleaning will prove to be a very good combination of resistance to rust.  The biggest changes were mentioned scissors with a spring that replaced a bit outdated in the era of closed cans with pull opening system.  So scissors are like many others have seen in other multi tools like Leatherman, Victorinox, SOG, etc..  They are made of the same material as the rest of the multi tools.  Simple design and just open them with thumb stud and lock in the open position with a liner lock included.  Same scissors are durable enough and there are not many objections to their robustness, sharpness and usability.  Proved to be well on most materials.  Scissors are a great addition to any EDC multi tool, and thus the more reason to always wear X-Tract.

List of tools and functions:
  1  Knife 420HC 76mm
  2  Combination pliers with a flat section, a circular partly Šećić for soft and hard wire
  3  Little scissors
  4  Flat screwdriver # 2
  5  Philips screwdriver # 2
  6  Hole carabineer
  Last update on Fin-change material in the handle.  It is, still, a thermoplastic material, but now with the "rubbery" finish.  This is a great addition to considering the target group and fishermen.  It certainly would not hurt you, just when most needed, buck slip from his hand and ends up in the mud or water.  Just when wet, Finn does not slip out of your hand, unlike their brethren from X-Tract series.

Initial all Buck's brewed in the United States, but by the time production was moved to China, but with the success of the X-Tract-and it was the right choice because you get a Buck's build quality (with 4-ever warranty) at a lower selling price.

Buck X-Tract Fin (model 732) is a great addition to the family X-Tract and is great for fishing and DIY (Do It Yourself - DIY).

(TBH now I miss that one, and I saw compact model from BUCK that looks very interesting... Blade, screwdrivers and scissors - no pliers)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 09:48:52 AM by edcgear »
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Review of the Buck X-Tract Fin
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 09:23:20 AM
Nice review Gojkan  :tu:

There has been a fair bit of talk of X-Tracts around here lately with this review and nhoj's purchase of an Essential. As I keep mentioning, I am a big fan of the Fin (732) and Essential (735) and think they're one of the best knife based tools outside of a SAK. The original model (730) and LED version (731) have a combi-edged blade, which I have tried and didn't get on with, but the plain edged version on the Fin and Essential is very nice indeed.

The scissors are also very different on the Essential, which also has the added benefit of a pocket clip

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 01:51:43 PM
All this X-Tract talk has me wanting one to try out. The problem is I know I would never really carry it. I just want to play with it a bit. :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 02:07:57 PM
All this X-Tract talk has me wanting one to try out. The problem is I know I would never really carry it. I just want to play with it a bit. :D

Why do you say that? Blade too big, or missing vital ingredients?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 02:21:04 PM

Why do you say that? Blade too big, or missing vital ingredients?

Yes, the blade is the main reason. I can't remember when I last carried a blade that big outside the forest or garden. I don't need a blade that size in an urban environment and for the woods and garden/yard duties I prefer something with a saw too. I feel all the sliding mechanisms here take up too much space that could have been used to reduce the size of the tool or add more tools. For the fold out pliers/shears on a knife based tool I like the looks of the Wenger Ranger system better. 

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 02:31:54 PM
Fair play to you.  :tu:

If the X-Tract did have a saw, that would be pretty cool - but I think it would start getting too fat and start losing it's ergonomics at that point. I must have a closer look at how the pliers compare with the Ranger. I'm tempted to vouch for the X-Tract without looking based on (maybe) thinner layer, and (maybe) stronger pliers due to being fixed  :think:

.... I'll need to have a closer look another time  :)

I feel all the sliding mechanisms here take up too much space that could have been used to reduce the size of the tool or add more tools.

Bear in mind there's only two layers. There's pliers a full 3D Phillips and a flat driver all in the same layer, then scissors and a large knife blade in the other layer. Plus it doesn't have a fat arse like the sculptured ranger scales
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 03:02:25 PM by 50ft-trad »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44