Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multi-tool or knife?

de Offline Sweety-Sama

• No Life Club
  • First and Only
Re: Multi-tool or knife?
Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 10:32:45 AM
Probably you injured one of the fibre too. It really looks like a deep cut.
My fingers crack for no reason at all for most of the time... Heck, every joint in my body can crack just for the fun of it (not my fun but the fun of my joints). You don't want to know where it can crack! -.- I wish they would stop that

-----------------------------

^_^

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 03:38:35 PM
So, here my opinion (and please don't stone me): I think that they are all multitools. Even if there is "only" a knife, this knife has several cutting functions (rope, wood, meat etc). Some knife tips are even useable as a screwdriver.
It's not like having a kitchen knife that is for kitchen use only. Well, they sometimes get misused for pry open something... :whistle:

Jimmy the Turnip Wang's girl

No stones, in fact I enjoy discussions like this.  :cheers: I think knives are better described as "versatile" rather than "multi-functional."

After all, if a knife is a multitool because it can also be used as a pry bar, then a wrench can be used as a hammer, a hammer can be used as a paperweight, and a dental drill can be used to extract information from intruders.  In this sense, multitool and tool have the same definition.

I usually go by features advertised by the manufacturer, not user-discovered functions. I've done more prying with the Wave's flat blade than screw driving, but it's advertised as a screwdriver.  Also, I've found that the Skeletool actually does have a can opener, and a really useful one at that.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #32 on: April 02, 2014, 05:10:46 PM
This is my same definition for multitool. otherwise a rock becomes the most versatile multitool ever.

Road material, ship ballast, counterweight, sinker, projectile, hammer, hand warmer or water boiler (when combined with campfire), etc., etc.

So, for me, a multi tool must have multiple individual implements. And, those multiple individual implements can't all be blades. Because if they're all blades, then you don't have a multitool, you have a multibladed knife. Same with a screwdriver with replaceable bits. Sure, it can work on lots of different screws, but it's still just a screwdriver. I also don't consider one-piece gadgets multitools, like the piranha. If that were the case, then I'd have to consider the old combo can/bottle openers multitools, and that just doesn't work for me. Cut all the holes you like in it, it's still just a cleverly shaped piece of metal, IMO, not a multitool. So, I guess 'cool transformer action' is another required feature for my definition. :D

The thing here is we all bring in a different perspective, and none of them are necessarily wrong, so the definition will ultimately be up to the individual.

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #33 on: April 02, 2014, 05:55:47 PM
This is my same definition for multitool. otherwise a rock becomes the most versatile multitool ever1.

Road material, ship ballast, counterweight, sinker, projectile, hammer, hand warmer or water boiler (when combined with campfire), etc., etc.

So, for me, a multi tool must have multiple individual implements. And, those multiple individual implements can't all be blades. Because if they're all blades, then you don't have a multitool, you have a multibladed knife. Same with a screwdriver with replaceable bits. Sure, it can work on lots of different screws, but it's still just a screwdriver. I also don't consider one-piece gadgets multitools, like the piranha.2 If that were the case, then I'd have to consider the old combo can/bottle openers multitools, and that just doesn't work for me. Cut all the holes you like in it, it's still just a cleverly shaped piece of metal, IMO, not a multitool. So, I guess 'cool transformer action' is another required feature for my definition. :D

The thing here is we all bring in a different perspective, and none of them are necessarily wrong, so the definition will ultimately be up to the individual.

1: You are forgetting about those 5 digit, be born with one - get one free!*, 1 digit per side with sprecial features, Multitools!
*Sadly, no manufacturer's guarantee here

2: I like your definition!  :tu:
Especially about the one-piece tools. They may be versatile, but they are not multi.
And now someone will mention the 1/4" bit-driver in the Piranha  :rofl:

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #34 on: April 02, 2014, 06:24:59 PM
To me, it's a pocket knife. There are traditional pocket knives with screw drivers and cap lifters, and they're pocket knives with an extra tool or two.

The original Swiss soldier knife was primarily a pocket knife in design as I'd say is evidenced by the handle. It resembles a regular knife. Even now, an alox SAK handle is a flattened scout jack knife style handle.

So, to me they're all just pocket knives with extra stuff.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 06:29:46 PM by sticktodrum »
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

de Offline Sweety-Sama

• No Life Club
  • First and Only
Reply #35 on: April 02, 2014, 07:11:47 PM

This is my same definition for multitool. otherwise a rock becomes the most versatile multitool ever.

So, for me, a multi tool must have multiple individual implements. And, those multiple individual implements can't all be blades. Because if they're all blades, then you don't have a multitool, you have a multibladed knife. Same with a screwdriver with replaceable bits. Sure, it can work on lots of different screws, but it's still just a screwdriver. I also don't consider one-piece gadgets multitools, like the piranha. If that were the case, then I'd have to consider the old combo can/bottle openers multitools, and that just doesn't work for me. Cut all the holes you like in it, it's still just a cleverly shaped piece of metal, IMO, not a multitool. So, I guess 'cool transformer action' is another required feature for my definition. :D

A rock is a perfect multitool! You can throw it at windows to waken up the princess, use it as a hammer or as a letter weight or every time someone scream "Jehovah" you can stone them!

:rofl:

^_^

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #36 on: April 02, 2014, 09:21:51 PM
Greetings all, I would like to pose a question to you all...so here goes...

Are Swiss Army knives a knife, or a multi-tool? This goes for Victorinox as well. The reason that I ask is, I'm cataloging my collection of knives and multi-tools, and want to insure that is being done correctly. Thank you all in advance for your feedback. God Bless.

A multi-tool.  To me, something that only has a blade is considered a knife.  Everything else is a multi-tool.

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #37 on: April 04, 2014, 02:16:47 AM
Attached is from a book regarding their classification.
photo.JPG
* photo.JPG (Filesize: 288.42 KB)
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #38 on: April 04, 2014, 07:33:05 AM

Could you give us author and title?
Interesting definition, to use the categories 'SAK' and 'MT'.  :o

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #39 on: April 04, 2014, 09:27:49 PM

Could you give us author and title?
Interesting definition, to use the categories 'SAK' and 'MT'.  :o

The Camping Bible: From Tents to Troubleshooting: Everything You Need for Life in the Great Outdoors
by Rob Beattie

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #40 on: April 04, 2014, 10:55:55 PM
Nothing personal, but just because an author somewhere classifies a multitool one way doesn't make it gospel.

I personally don't agree with that authro's definition, although I do think the definition stated is probably what most people mean by 'multitool'... AND usually what they mean by 'Leatherman'. ::)

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #41 on: April 04, 2014, 11:07:46 PM
Nothing personal, but just because an author somewhere classifies a multitool one way doesn't make it gospel.

I personally don't agree with that authro's definition, although I do think the definition stated is probably what most people mean by 'multitool'... AND usually what they mean by 'Leatherman'. ::)

Doesn't make it gospel, just another person's opinion.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD