Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Les Stroud Multitool

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Re: Les Stroud Multitool
Reply #90 on: November 20, 2013, 03:39:23 AM
 >:(
10296830.jpg
* 10296830.jpg (Filesize: 22.99 KB)
10296830.jpg
* 10296830.jpg (Filesize: 22.99 KB)
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Les Stroud Multitool
Reply #91 on: November 20, 2013, 03:50:16 AM
>:(
That looks bad. :( Two files, a poor philips driver, and you lose a straight driver for the robertson. Also inside accessible tools and I don't see any locks.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #92 on: November 20, 2013, 03:52:00 AM
Those pics don't exactly inspire confidence in this sucker.....  :facepalm:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #93 on: November 20, 2013, 03:59:28 AM

exactly what I was thinking.
I'm the milk man!

Offline Philthy

Reply #94 on: November 20, 2013, 05:01:32 AM

Agreed and at it's core it looks a lot like many other Chinese multi tools.

ca Offline Dem

Reply #95 on: November 20, 2013, 05:20:17 AM
Yeah, the most promising thing about that is that it's probably made in China and maybe we'll see the Robertson bits mass produced to the point where I can pick some up for mods ;).

Dem

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #96 on: November 20, 2013, 10:47:54 AM
 :rofl: :rofl: That looks horrendous  :facepalm:

Where's Landrew .... ? :pok: >:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #97 on: November 20, 2013, 11:09:05 AM
 :sa: :dwts:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #98 on: November 20, 2013, 02:47:22 PM
Also, that can opener isn't going to work on that location on the tool. I've used enough cheapos to know that the handle will prevent it from hooking on the rim of the can where it is.

And oh, look... a fish scaler. Yay. :poh:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #99 on: November 20, 2013, 03:01:39 PM
And oh, look... a fish scaler. Yay. :poh:
Actually, on a outdoor/wilderness/survival MT that makes more sense than a screwdriver (and a can-opener) if you ask me.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #100 on: November 20, 2013, 03:13:01 PM
I disagree 100%.

What are the odds of coming across salvageable mechanical stuff, or having to remove screws to get into shed/building versus catching a dinky fish that you couldn't just cook and peel the skin off of?

Anyone carrying this tool is NOT going to be in the frickin' arctic. They're going to be in a location where human cast-offs are common. I'd go so far as to say ubiquitous.

This is NOT an actual survival MT, and anyone who thinks it is is risking serious trouble. Is it better than nothing? Sure. Would YOU pack it into the arctic? Or really anywhere but the glovebox of a car?

And finally... I have never, not EVER, in my ENTIRE life needed to scale a fish. I have CAUGHT fish, and any one that was too small to cook and skin after cooking was filleted. Even if i DID need to scale a fish, I don't think this version of a scaler is very good. Or really, good at all.

If this were a more serious tool, I might agree that a fish scaler was useful, but then I might also ask why you can't just use the saw to scale the fish, making the scaler a POS worthless slot-wasting joke. Its inclusion here is for the same reason it's included on most every cheap knock-off. Filler.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #101 on: November 20, 2013, 03:28:17 PM
I disagree 100%.

What are the odds of coming across salvageable mechanical stuff, or having to remove screws to get into shed/building versus catching a dinky fish that you couldn't just cook and peel the skin off of?

Anyone carrying this tool is NOT going to be in the frickin' arctic. They're going to be in a location where human cast-offs are common. I'd go so far as to say ubiquitous.

This is NOT an actual survival MT, and anyone who thinks it is is risking serious trouble. Is it better than nothing? Sure. Would YOU pack it into the arctic? Or really anywhere but the glovebox of a car?

And finally... I have never, not EVER, in my ENTIRE life needed to scale a fish. I have CAUGHT fish, and any one that was too small to cook and skin after cooking was filleted. Even if i DID need to scale a fish, I don't think this version of a scaler is very good. Or really, good at all.

If this were a more serious tool, I might agree that a fish scaler was useful, but then I might also ask why you can't just use the saw to scale the fish, making the scaler a POS worthless slot-wasting joke. Its inclusion here is for the same reason it's included on most every cheap knock-off. Filler.
The saw is too sharp for scaling a fish. A scaler is for when you when you still want the skin but not the scales. Kinda like a chicken. I still want the skin on it, but not the feathers.
Now this fish scaler on the other hand is not that great and is kinda just a filler. But would be a than a tin opener in the middle of no where, unless you happen to have a couple of cans tuna with you.

sent from Nate's mobile
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 03:44:58 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #102 on: November 20, 2013, 03:58:03 PM

+1

I wish the more outdoor related tools are larger in proportion, such as the wood saw or the blade.  Or add in more relevant tools, such as the awl or the chisel.  And if the blade could be opened one-handed, even better.  But at the least, there are the small ferro rod and flashlight included, otherwise it might be seen as another so-so new MT entry.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #103 on: November 20, 2013, 04:06:03 PM
My biggest problem with this tool is that it is nothing we haven't seen before. Being late to the game usually has an advantage of being able to look at your competition and evaluating what works, what is popular, and what's not. It does not even look like any of the tools lock. All the tools are inside the tool. Everything looks small (except the can opener). This just looks similar to the Gerber suspension, which, to be fair, is a really popular tool. But the Suspension has issues and it has a lot of critics.

I don't think this tool is anything special. Camillus had an opportunity to raise the bar, but they did not. At least not in design.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #104 on: November 20, 2013, 04:27:46 PM
I find it ironic that Bear Grylls', who only uses a knife, multitools seem to be better than Les Stroud's, who actually uses a multitool in his show...

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #105 on: November 20, 2013, 05:05:05 PM
I disagree 100%.

I think you missunderstood. I was not defending this MT in particular, just stated that if the intention is to create an outdoor MT I find fish scaler an OK tool. I don't fish but I'm pretty sure that there are fish-scalers and fish-scalers, there are probably also quality differences.
For me the purpose of an outdoor MT would be to carry it when you go Fishing/Hunting/Hiking/Climbing etc., none of these activities require scavenging mechanical stuff or breaking into a shed. And except for hunting which will need gun-/bow- maintenance you won't need a screwdriver.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #106 on: November 20, 2013, 06:55:41 PM
There's no obvious prying tool? Prying is useful.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #107 on: November 20, 2013, 08:38:05 PM
I'm a big fan of Les Stroud, but this really does look poor.  Damn shame. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #108 on: November 20, 2013, 11:10:50 PM
Last I remember in his show he carried a LM wave.  I bet he wont carry this new low end tool ever... give me the wave over this any day. 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #109 on: November 20, 2013, 11:20:12 PM
:cheers: Goatlord.

This.

Also, has that knife blade developped a patina already? Or is that carbon steel?
 :facepalm:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #110 on: November 21, 2013, 03:23:17 AM
I was somewhat hoping that it would turn out better than this. I guess this will explain why Mr Stroud uses a leatherman
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #111 on: November 21, 2013, 04:00:54 AM

This.

Also, has that knife blade developped a patina already? Or is that carbon steel?

I have seen and read a lot of outdoor survivalists do favor a carbon steel knife over other kind of steel, partly because it is easy to maintain a sharp edge and it's ability to make fire with ferro rod/flint. 

I don't know whether this tool has a carbon steel blade or the entire tool is made of carbon steel, but if it is latter, this tool will be a real pain in the axx to maintain.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #112 on: November 21, 2013, 04:11:57 AM

This.

I have seen and read a lot of outdoor survivalists do favor a carbon steel knife over other kind of steel, partly because it is easy to maintain a sharp edge and it's ability to make fire with ferro rod/flint. 

I don't know whether this tool has a carbon steel blade or the entire tool is made of carbon steel, but if it is latter, this tool will be a real pain in the axx to maintain.

High Carbon Steel blades can also be struck with a rock causing sparks to start a fire in a real pinch.
I'm the milk man!

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #113 on: November 21, 2013, 05:53:04 AM
There's a file on the fish scaler.

It's a fish filer!   :rofl:

G

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #114 on: November 21, 2013, 10:15:25 AM

This.

High Carbon Steel blades can also be struck with a rock causing sparks to start a fire in a real pinch.
To be honest, I think I'd be hitting the rock with the blade's spine. Hmm...

I know carbon steels have some merits. It's just not what I think this tool is missing  :-\
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: November 21, 2013, 02:18:00 PM

We nearly had a barn burn down this summer because of that, the guy that set it on fire was blissfully oblivious and was still sat in the tractor adding more fuel to it  :facepalm:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #116 on: November 21, 2013, 05:29:55 PM
Last I remember in his show he carried a LM wave.  I bet he wont carry this new low end tool ever... give me the wave over this any day. 

I actually took screenshots of every multi he used in the series and made a list of them all but I can't find it. :ahhh Maybe I never posted it? :think: Wave, Swisstool, Spirit and Supertool were his usual carry.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #117 on: November 22, 2013, 01:19:30 PM
I seem to remember him carrying SAKs in a few eps too.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #118 on: November 22, 2013, 01:27:27 PM
He had a Huntsman once when he was in the swamps.

sent from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #119 on: November 24, 2013, 04:22:18 PM

He's probably required to by contract.  I imagine Camillus would not only cancel the endorsement, but also sue him if he's seen using anything else while he has an arrangement with them.  Think back to the Drew Carey Show- at the time he was doing that he was also doing A&W commercials, right up to the episode where he was lost in China and ate at McDonalds because it was the only thing he recognized.  A&W was so upset by that episode that the cancelled his contract immediately even though there is no A&W in China, so he couldn't have eaten there if he tried.

If it's knife or multiool related, Les is probably contractually obligated to use Camillus.  I can't imagine Camillus not including that in their agreement.  Otherwise, why even have a celebrity endorsement?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%