Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best Tool/Knife for me?

Offline toollearner

Best Tool/Knife for me?
on: May 04, 2008, 04:42:26 AM
I'm looking for a Swiss Army Knife or Multitool mainly for use in an emergency (or a pinch) but I wouldn't mind a few everyday-like features to be included. I've been looking at the Victorinox RescueTool which seems awesome but I'm wondering if these same tools cannot be found in another product + more?

Basically if you have had experience with these tools, please let me know which is your favorite and why? Do you prefer something like a Victorinox SwissTool or a Leatherman or a tradional Swiss Army Knife? Thanks.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Best Tool/Knife for me?
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 04:44:08 AM
How about the SwissTool RS? It has a hook cutter for emergencies and for everyday you have scissors, screwdrivers, and the like...
B

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 05:08:59 AM
Welcome to the forums! I hope you'll be learning a lot more about multi-tools and our fascination with them. LM123 is correct,the RS will give you a lot more flexibility in daily life and activities,but you'll lose the dedicated glass saw,and window punch.Stick around with us,and you'll find yourself wanting more and more tools!
I

Offline toollearner

Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 05:27:12 AM
Thanks for the welcome! Hmmm. The SwissTool RS looks great too. Because I don't already have one of these though it's hard for me to tell which tools I'd use more than others... Has anyone thought of other good uses for the RescueTool other than breaking out (or into) a car? I think it would be a great thing to have in the car but maybe it would be a good tool for me period. On the other hand, the SwissTool does have more tools and pliers would be nice.

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 06:34:34 AM
Welcome to the forums toollearner,you can't go wrong with any of the above mentioned MT's,but if you stay with the forums long enough,you will be telling the newbies what to get before long,good luck on whatever you get!!!

Offline toollearner

Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 07:00:30 AM
Well I just ordered a SwissTool RS for these reasons:

The Rescue Tool seems much more specialized to me but lacks a lot of other tools. Rescue Tool seems to be solely for entering/exiting a vehicle but there are many other types of emergencies (say being stranded somewhere) where the other parts of the SwissTool RS come in handy (can opener, pliers, wood saw, ruler, metal saw). In addition, the RS still has a seatbelt cutter. And in a pinch, I'm sure even with the RS that there would be some way to break glass out. What do you guys think of this reasoning?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 07:02:48 AM by toollearner »

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 10:21:20 AM
Well I just ordered a SwissTool RS for these reasons:

The Rescue Tool seems much more specialized to me but lacks a lot of other tools. Rescue Tool seems to be solely for entering/exiting a vehicle but there are many other types of emergencies (say being stranded somewhere) where the other parts of the SwissTool RS come in handy (can opener, pliers, wood saw, ruler, metal saw). In addition, the RS still has a seatbelt cutter. And in a pinch, I'm sure even with the RS that there would be some way to break glass out. What do you guys think of this reasoning?
Welcome to the forum mate, and the RS sounds perfect for your need's :)

You can almost certainly fold out the pliers and strike a corner of the side window to break the glass, while still having the benitfit of a extremely well built and useful tool :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 10:25:10 AM
If you are looking for a general use tool that could be used for emergencies as ell your thinking is spot on and you can't find better build standards than on the Swisstools

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 04:59:38 PM
Get a Swisstool!!!!! You won't be disappointed. And welcome to the forums.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 07:06:01 PM
Welcome to the forum.  :)

Have you considered adding the ResQMe tool to your keys?  That way you have the benefit of the window breaker as well.

Here's some pics of mine that I took the other day;

And there is also a review of it here http://www.multitool.org/miscellaneous-tools/keyring-tools/resqme.html
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD