Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Biting off more than you can chew. The Gecko and the Fly.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Biting off more than you can chew. The Gecko and the Fly.
on: September 09, 2018, 08:49:04 AM
So, in the evenings recently, there has been a giant horse fly(or whatever it is...I am not sure) buzzing around me endlessly. I can hit it with my hand and it just bounces off and keeps buzzing around. It is somewhere about 1.5" in length and 1" wide(wing to wing). I have not wanted to sit outside since the thing set up shop under my carport. Well, I decided to sit outside this evening and saw something awesome. One of the fat little Turkish House Geckos decided it was a bad son-of-a-smurf and grabbed that stupid fly. I can't help, but think, the Gecko has bit off more than it can chew. Fortunately it looks as if it has backup close-by. :rofl:

I've felt like the Gecko before, having felt like I bit off more than I could chew. :ahhh

:cheers: to the Gecko. :)

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Biting off more than you can chew. The Gecko and the Fly.
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 08:54:35 AM
That is a smurfing huge fly!  :ahhh
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 09:26:02 AM
Or a tinyminy gecko...

Whatever the case. The fly is nearly as big as the Gecko! :ahhh

They seem like cute creatures by the way... and usefull!

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 09:32:21 AM
Did that monster take off with the gecko hanging off of it?  :o

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 11:37:28 AM
There's a chapter in one of the Durrell books (I think it's the first one) that describes a face-off between a Gecko and a Praying Mantis that lasted for hours...  :ahhh

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 01:25:08 PM
I have a somewhat similar story of sorts. This one literally amazed me. I am not a big fan of spiders. Yesterday, I opened my storm door to enter my house through the proper door. A freaking huge spider somehow got between the two doors got startled and glided down half way on a spider web and clung back to the door frame about 2 feet off the ground. I am standing there eyeing this huge spider thinking how am I going to get in with my hands full of purchases and keep that ugly guy out of the house. As I stand there pondering "why me", a wasp shows up on the scene buzzing me and the door a few times. I am thinking that I may have to wait some to not let the wasp into the house as well. As I stand there holding my storm door open and trying to keep one eye on the new wasp and another on that spider just hanging there...doesn't the wasp pounce on the spider. I am in shock as the wasp neatly picks that spider and both fly off to never be seen again. I thought to myself isn't nature great. What I assumed was another problem was the solution to my dilemma. How the wasp saw the spider in the first place is beyond me considering I was mostly blocking the scene, but I will take whatever is tossed my way in a form of help.  :rofl:

I am lucky I don't have any Geckos around up here. They are so darn cute I probably would be making them into pets somehow.  :whistle:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 01:29:15 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 02:00:17 AM
Thanks for the replies, Gentlemen!  :cheers:

Thanks for sharing your experience, Chako! Indeed, the animal kingdom is a fascinating thing for sure. :)

For anyone curious as to the size of the Gecko, the reference points are as follows:
Top corner moulding is 3/4"x3/4". Lower moulding is 1/2" thick and 4" tall. My best guess is that the Geckos are 4"-5" long or so, counting the tails. They are pretty big for Turkish house Geckos. :)

Edit: The Geckos are pretty cute, but they crap all over the place if they get in your house. :ahhh
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 02:01:54 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 02:31:35 AM
Great stories, guys! Nature is pretty smurf-ing cool  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44