Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The multitool of the automotive world!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Re: The multitool of the automotive world!
Reply #60 on: April 15, 2014, 09:57:33 PM
What I tell people learning to backup a trailer is, if you want your trailer to go left, put your hands on the bottom of the steering wheel and move them left.  Same for going right.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: April 15, 2014, 10:37:16 PM
Oh, I don't really think about my hands at all. Most of the vehicles I have to reverse things with have a steering wheel knob which is handy.

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #62 on: April 15, 2014, 11:56:32 PM
I actually had to take driving lessons for trailers. And learn how to back up around corners etc. That was pretty intense for someone who learned to drive 2 weeks ago  ;)

And now I haven't really driven a trailer for years, only one time per year or so. And everytime it's like learning it anew....  :poh:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #63 on: April 16, 2014, 12:15:57 AM
I've been driving with trailers for as long as I can remember.  When I was young, I use to drive my Grandfathers ride on lawnmower around with a small trailer attached, and that's how I learned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #64 on: April 16, 2014, 12:35:28 AM
I am a novice backing up a trailer but I have done it twice now- successful both times and one of those times was in a crowded parking lot.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #65 on: May 04, 2014, 08:19:05 PM
I see it has been a bit since I updated this thread.  Not really a long time, but I have done a fair bit to the trailer since then.  Also it seems like I haven't posted a picture in a long while!  Here's what it looked like when I bought it:

Here's what it looks like right now.

I spent $500 to buy it and have put a good chunk more money and effort into it.  Starting at the front, I replaced the coupler (bit that fits on the ball) because it jumped off the ball when I was taking it in for the safety check and ran into a railroad track, denting the coupler so it would no longer fit on a ball.   ::)

That cost a lot once you factor in cutting off the old coupler (welded on) and welding on a new coupler, plus the cost of a tow truck to get it to the trailer shop to have the work done on it.  While there I also put new chains on it, new reflectors, upgraded the lighting to LED lights (less hassle) and had a few other things upgraded on it.  That was about $350 all told, plus $100 for the tow truck.

I also added a wheel jack on the tongue to keep the coupler off the ground and make it easier to hitch up.

Since I don't have a motorbike I cut out the bracket in the front that held the front tire of a bike.  I'll probably replace the deck next year since it's ok at the moment and I have some dirty landscaping jobs for it this summer.   >:D

I also bolted 1" squared aluminum pipe across the top to hold my kayak J racks.  With these cross bars and enough J racks I can comfortably carry four kayaks on racks with one to two more inside the trailer, depending on the size of them.

You'll also notice the yellow deely boppers I attached to the back.  I can't actually see the trailer when I'm pulling it as it is too low and hidden by my spare tire and too narrow to be seen in my wing mirrors.  Adding these means I can see the trailer in all my mirrors now.  If you don't know what deely boppers are, you must have been absent in the 80's.

The other main problem I had with this trailer was some rust on one of the fenders.  It was just surface rust where it had been dripped on at the previous owners' place.  The drips eventually wore away the paint and the metal started to rust.  It wasn't serious, just surface rust, but I figured I'd fix it anyway.  I also decided to increase the visibility at the same time, so I got bright yellow anti rust paint and used my angle grinder with a wire brush attachment to clean off the old black paint and bring it down to bare metal.  Then I sprayed on a very uneven coat of yellow anti rust paint that I will even out a bit later if the weather holds long enough.

Given how easily a trailer can be stolen and re-registered in this province (ie legally stolen) I figured I'd make it a bit distinctive too with the yellow.

Between the distinctiveness of the fenders, the lock on the coupler and the geographic and canine issues trying to steal it, I imagine thieves will just go elsewhere.  :D

By the way, I had three kayaks and all the gear that goes with them in it yesterday and it hauled very nicely!  :D

Def
20140504_141104.jpg
* 20140504_141104.jpg (Filesize: 472.24 KB)
20140504_141111.jpg
* 20140504_141111.jpg (Filesize: 429.85 KB)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 08:21:19 PM by Grant Lamontagne »
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #66 on: May 04, 2014, 08:47:57 PM
looks good, should match the old jeep pretty closely?
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #67 on: May 04, 2014, 09:56:22 PM
Different shade of yellow, but yeah, the yellow and black color scheme does seem familiar.  :D

It started to rain- I'm hoping the paint mostly dried before it did.  Either that or I'll have to get the grinder out again in a few days.

Def

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #68 on: May 05, 2014, 12:13:17 AM
Certainly looks the part mate :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #69 on: May 05, 2014, 12:36:29 AM
very nice! we called them deely boppers "curve feelers" I think or whiskers (our joke was clumsy people should have them on when walking)

can you "etch" engrave your personal info (any numbers/letters etc) somewhere on it that is hard to find unless you know where to look? just wondering ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #70 on: May 05, 2014, 01:39:49 AM
I could and I've thought of that as well, but there are a few other, easier to steal and less distinctive trailers in my neighborhood so I imagine mine is pretty safe already. 

Besides, I have this thread as reference in case I need it, plus I'm insured.  :D

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #71 on: May 06, 2014, 12:17:00 PM
It looks like the rain didn't hurt the coat of paint I put on it, but I'll still have to wait for another decent day to apply another coat.

Hopefully the rain didn't penetrate the first coat and start some more rust or I'll have to start all over again.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #72 on: April 28, 2016, 12:56:04 PM
Unfortunately the yellow paint didn't last too well.  Countless stone chips are starting to cause rust to set in and I figured I'd better do something about it before it's too late.

As you can see, it is quite a mess, so out came the angle grinder and wire wheel again and I took it down to bare metal again.

I only wish I had the time right now to do the whole body of the trailer and not just the fenders, but I only have so much time before I move and this was the biggest priority.  I picked up some spray in bedliner for pickup trucks and I figure that should stand up to more punishment than the basic Tremclad did.  Unfortunately all that was available was black bedliner.

So now my trailer isn't quite as distinctive looking as it was, but at least the metal should be somewhat safer from rust now.

My marker lights haven't fared much better than the yellow paint, so I purchased new LED lights on eBay- I got ten for less than I could get one for locally, so I'll probably wire those in today.

As I said, I'd really hoped to be able to strip the whole thing, paint all the metal with bedliner, replace the deck etc this year, but I don't see any of that happening as I have no place to work on it when I get to Ottawa, so I'm limited to whatever I can do here and now.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #73 on: April 28, 2016, 12:59:19 PM
Oops, forgot the final product, at least for now.

I plan to somehow fabricate a mount for the spare tire on the outside of the bed so I can reclaim the space it takes up on the inside. 

I'm also thinking that a tool box may find it's way onto the trailer too if I can find one for a reasonable enough price.

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #74 on: April 28, 2016, 01:13:15 PM
Princess Auto sells a tire mount that should do what you need. 

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/heavy-duty-spare-tire-trailer-mount/A-p8112575e

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #75 on: April 28, 2016, 01:20:39 PM
Princess Auto sells a tire mount that should do what you need. 

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/heavy-duty-spare-tire-trailer-mount/A-p8112575e

Thanks, I think that one mounts on the tongue though and I'm not sure I can do that.  With the folding jack stand and the giant spare tire on the back of the Jeep there's not really a lot of space to mount things on the tongue any more.

Def

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #76 on: April 28, 2016, 01:50:49 PM
Weld a bolt on top of one of the sides. In front or back of the wheel well. Then stick the tire on and tighten the nut. Tire will be on the outside and it will cost you all most nothing.

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #77 on: April 28, 2016, 03:41:16 PM
That's pretty much what I'd planned.  I thought about making an A frame that would attach inside the bed and hold the bolts whole they poke through the grate, and I could attach the wheel to that.

Def

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #78 on: April 28, 2016, 03:48:30 PM
That would work nicely too.

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #79 on: April 28, 2016, 03:57:24 PM
Another project for another time......  I am going to miss my power tools when I move!  :P

Def

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #80 on: April 28, 2016, 03:58:28 PM
Didn't you take them with you?

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #81 on: April 28, 2016, 04:00:34 PM
I'll be taking a drill and my hand tools.  I don't have a garage or any place to put my various saws, grinders, sanders etc so they will have to stay here for now.

Our place in Ottawa is small and there's barely enough outdoors space for my Jeep.  No garage, no basement space etc.

Def

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #82 on: April 28, 2016, 04:16:00 PM
Bummer. Hopefully you two can find a bigger place later.

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #83 on: April 28, 2016, 04:18:23 PM
...so they can become more   >:D >:D >:D >:D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #84 on: April 28, 2016, 04:28:57 PM
We are looking at cottages.

But I should probably get a job at some point.

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #85 on: April 28, 2016, 04:32:55 PM
since it's black now maybe I need to do a batch of white Lamontagne logos... or a stencil so you can spray it whatever colour you want?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #86 on: April 28, 2016, 08:48:45 PM
Silly wiring question....

The incandescent lights I am taking off were wired up with only one wire.  There was a white wire connected to the light, and a black wire that was cut off pretty far back on one side of the trailer, and no black wire (seemingly) on the other side of the trailer.

I'm not very good when it comes to electricity, but don't you need two wires to create a circuit to make things light up?

Any help on sorting this would be appreciated...

Def

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #87 on: April 28, 2016, 09:28:38 PM
grounded to the frame?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #88 on: April 28, 2016, 09:34:52 PM
Maybe- don't I need a positive and negative to make a circuit?

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #89 on: April 28, 2016, 10:45:47 PM
You do, but if it's grounded to the frame either via a mounting screw, or wire, that will make the circuit.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%