Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Nitecore SRT3 Defender - A Versatile Light.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Nitecore SRT3 Defender - A Versatile Light.
on: August 21, 2013, 12:16:08 AM
Got Nitecore's new SRT3 a few weeks back, it is my new EDC. Here's a quick overview.

This is the smallest light in the SRT series. Like the other lights, operation is via a forward clickie tail switch, with modes handled by the smart ring in the head.

The light has a Cree XML2 T6 LED and a secondary smaller LED located in the outer edge of the reflector (see first picture). This smaller LED can provide red or blue light. Despite having a smooth reflector and this LED cutting into the reflector, the main beam is very smooth.

Modes

With the smart ring all the way to the left, turning to the right.

Mode 1 - Flashing beacon. Light emits a flash every couple of seconds.

Mode 2 - SOS.

Mode 3 - Small led flashes red and blue.

Mode 4 - Small LED, blue mode.

Mode 5 - Small LED, red mode. This is much dimmer than the blue, but adequate for reading at close range.

Mode 6 - Main LED, ultra low mode. Not sure why they did this. Even in pitch black conditions, it is too low to do anything with.

Mode 7 - Infinite brightness mode. Continue turning the ring to ramp up brightness, until it clicks into mode 8.

Mode 8 - Turbo.

Mode 9 - Strobe.

Why This Light is Versatile

The wide range of batteries this light can use.

In its compact configuration, the light operates on 1 CR123A battery or 1 16340 lithium ion rechargeable.

Supplied with the light is a battery extender which fits between the head and body. This allows the use of 1 AA battery. This can be an alkaline, NiMh, lithium primary, or 14500 lithium ion rechargeable.

Maximum brightness depends on the battery type used:

AA Alkaline, NiMh, Lithium - 180 lumens
14500 - 550 lumens

CR123A - 330 lumens
16340 - 550 lumens

A Couple of Small Observations

Tailcap is fixed, however a quarter turn of head will lock the light out against accidental activation.

Given the small diameter of the head, the max mode (550 lumens) can only be sustained for 3 minutes. Can be overridden, but not recommended.

The supplied sheath fits the light well in its compact configuration. With the batter extender fitted, the covering flap is then too short and barely reaches the velcro.
02.jpg
* 02.jpg (Filesize: 46.73 KB)
01.jpg
* 01.jpg (Filesize: 66.95 KB)
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Nitecore SRT3 Defender - A Versatile Light.
Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 09:21:21 AM
Nice looking light mate. :tu:  I do keep meaning to look at a light with selector ring, it's one of the few UI's I've not tried.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 03:32:03 PM
I'm not entirely convinced by the ring selector. Not a big deal for me as I tend to run the light in turbo.

However, if I was to use the other modes regularly, not so great, especially if I wanted to use them in conjunction with turbo. Turbo is all the way over on the right of the ring, whilst low and the secondary LED are on the left. This means a lot of twisting, neither quick nor easy to do one handed.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 11:36:36 PM
Nice write up, and I do like the look of it ... though not the UK price  :o I have a Sunwayman light with the infinitely variable twiddly widgit and really like it  :tu:

Oh, and Mode 6 ...

Mode 6 - Main LED, ultra low mode. Not sure why they did this. Even in pitch black conditions, it is too low to do anything with.

... very very useful for FINDING the light in the dark  ;)

When visiting and stopping over at a couple of friends who have a young un, I sometimes (when I remember) take a light with a moonlight mode. This means I can leave it on without disturbing sleep, but find it easily when awakening blurry eyed in the middle of the night, and negotiate by way to relieve myself of recycled wine without crashing into things or putting on main lights (which might disturb the kid as his bedroom door is always open)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 11:57:13 PM
 :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%