Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Warranty policy

au Offline archerwin

Leatherman Warranty policy
on: June 07, 2014, 02:18:47 PM
Hi Guys,

I've only owned (for myself anyway) Vic SAKS but after watching Adam Savage's video about making a sheath for his beloved Wave, I became interested in owning one (though, looking at the Charge TTi at the moment).

Question is, if Leatherman honors warranty claims of tools bought from (1) Unauthorized resellers (like the ones in ebay, etc), or (2) bought second hand?

Here in Australia, there's a local distributor and they specifically mentioned in the support page the unauthorized resellers (http://www.leatherman.com.au/support/findstore).

Retail prices vs ebay prices are significantly different. It will be a big negative if there's a warranty claim limitation. I'm spoiled with the excellent Victorinox Warranty :climber:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Leatherman Warranty policy
Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 02:30:37 PM
I think our down under members have exchanged and had their tools fixed my LM multiple times without issues on old and new tools bought from outside Oz.

Hopefully one of them will be along shortly.

Generally LMs warranty is one of the best in the business and even if your local distributor give you a hard time, the US Leatherman will do their best to sort you out.

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 12:46:04 AM
Lateboyscout on youtube claims to have purchased two worn and damaged original Waves from eBay and had them exchanged for brand new ones, so the warranty is on the tool, not the owner.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

au Offline Syndicate

Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 12:51:56 AM
Leatherman warranty in Oz is not a problem, Zen Imports will generally replace a tool without a problem, else if its something minor the will repair it.

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 07:46:59 AM
Leatherman warranty service is one of the best things in the world.

When I first got into Leatherman, I had trouble with a PS4.

They send me a brand new one. And:

- it was bought second hand
- it was a teeny tiny tool
- I'm from the usually unknown Bulgaria (so why would they bother ?!)
- They made extreme effort to make ME happy and satisfied.

They just know how to treat their customers and earn from that. Since then I've bought 5 more brand new tools, knowing that they'll always take care of me if I need it.

us Offline cannonball

Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 12:29:20 PM
I called LM U.S. about warranty issues on a beat up Super Tool & bought at a flea market. They told me they do not care how I got it , "flea market, Ebay, a gift, if I found it"--they would still cover it.

au Offline archerwin

Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 02:32:46 PM
That's great to know! Now to find my first leatherman.

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 03:47:28 PM
Yep, go  :tu: And don't forget to keep us updated :multi:

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 02:58:15 AM
In my experience with both Leatherman & Victorinox warranty departments, they will repair / replace whatever you send them. No matter how you got the tool, it's not like they ask for proof of purchase. Both have excellent warranty policies!  :D
darren

au Offline Theo

Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 09:17:22 AM
Hey mate

My only experience of the Leatherman warranty in OZ involved rocking up in person and putting my tool in the guy's hand (I live so close that posting it isn't worth it), but I was asked no questions about where it was purchased or proof of purchase.

au Offline mr626

• We sell products and get in fights
Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 01:59:41 AM
I've dealt with Leatherman warranty in Australia several times, never had any issues. This has included sending in tools that were purchased overseas, and tools that were purchased broken

On the forum that you are asked to fill out, there is a section for proof of purchase details but you don't need to fill it in. The reality is that most people wouldn't have their proof of purchase, regardless of the circumstances. For example, most people I know who own Leathermans have received them as gifts so they aren't going to have proof of purchase.

So as a fellow Aussie, I'd say to you- purchase your Leatherman where you see fit, and don't worry about the warranty side of things- she'll be right mate  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%