Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How To Repair The Scissors On The Juice Tools.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
How To Repair The Scissors On The Juice Tools.
on: June 13, 2014, 03:18:52 PM
This is not for the faint of heart.Nor is it for those members who wish to keep a tool in perfect condition,as it came from the factory,defects and all.This repair however,is for those members who wish to own a better working tool.

This is not an elaborate or difficult process but it does require you to take some care in preforming this task.To tighten the scissors simply requires one to stake the pivot pin,specifically the inside head or larger head of the pivot pin.

As you'll see from my pics I staked it four times.You may be able to use as little as two and maybe three.

Members,who are familiar with staking,know it requires a center punch to accomplish this task.It also requires that the part,to be staked,be placed on a perfectly flat,stable and preferably steel surface.

Once the scissors are properly placed,carefully put the tip of the center punch at your staking point and strike lightly with a hammer.You need to do this at least two points opposite each other.As I stated before,you can do this two,three or more times.

I'll let the pics show the results.It may not appear to be pretty but the scissors are now tight and they cut like pair from Victorinox. Hoorah !

DSCN1142-1.jpg
* DSCN1142-1.jpg (Filesize: 236.74 KB)
DSCN1144-1.jpg
* DSCN1144-1.jpg (Filesize: 249.47 KB)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 03:40:56 PM by toolguy »
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: How To Repair The Scissors On The Juice Tools.
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 03:45:18 PM
While I congratulate you on your victory in getting great performance from the Juice scissors, I'm not sure I'd be up for staking. At least, not yet.

I'd be curious to know, if you have the materials around, how these cut through 550 paracord, t-shirt material, and if you have an old pair of pants laying around, if they're able to cut through the (4 layer) seam.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 03:58:58 PM
While I congratulate you on your victory in getting great performance from the Juice scissors, I'm not sure I'd be up for staking. At least, not yet.

I'd be curious to know, if you have the materials around, how these cut through 550 paracord, t-shirt material, and if you have an old pair of pants laying around, if they're able to cut through the (4 layer) seam.

All good and fair questions,Lynn.

I'll report back in few minutes with the results.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 04:00:13 PM
 :tu:

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 04:53:53 PM
OK here are the results.Not scientific,by any means,but good enough for government work.LOL.

The tools tested were:
1.Leatherman XE-6.
2.Vic Champion 1989.
3.Wenger Tool Chest Plus 1990's.

Paper up to 8 layers:
All tools tested cut well.

Paracord:
Victorinox cut really well.
Wenger cut all right but not as well as the Vics.
Leatherman hesitated and took several tries.

Denims at seam:
Vic did suprisingly well with little hesitation.
Wenger hesitataed and took several tries.
Leatherman same as the Wengers.

Winner and still the Champ...........the Victorinox.

Perhaps I overstated the case for the Leatherman repair.The repair did improve performance because when I tried to cut paracord in the past with the XE-6 scissors they failed miserably and would wedge the paracord between the blades of the scissors.

I think the reason the XE-6 does not cut materials well,other than paper, is the design of the blades of the scissors because they're curved slightly.Well at least mine are slightly curved.

In all fairness when I need to cut more than paper I use shears.More specifically C.P. Jameson Style C.

I hope this helps some members.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 05:03:47 PM
Juice, trash can.  ::)
SAW

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 05:08:42 PM
No,no,no,no,no,no,no.

This may not be the best Leatherman made but for its size,it's a giant.

:cheers:

us Offline sawman

Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 05:18:57 PM
No,no,no,no,no,no,no.

This may not be the best Leatherman made but for its size,it's a giant.

:cheers:
Anyone out there enjoying their Juice, I'm happy for you. But they're charging premium prices for the Juice and with the new version actually managed to make it worse. I think people buy them because on the pics they release, they look pretty cool. These short-bladed, lopsided knuck-biters aren't gonna get me though!  :cheers:
SAW

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 05:27:17 PM
Don't be hatin' on my Juice.LOL

There's a price to pay for miniaturizing a tool.

us Offline sawman

Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 05:31:11 PM
Don't be hatin' on my Juice.LOL

There's a price to pay for miniaturizing a tool.
Then why are the Micra and Style CS such great tools? You could go a little bigger and get a Wave for the same or less money and its scissors work better than the Juice's.
SAW

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 05:33:34 PM
Thanks for running that test.

Those materials I listed (550, t-shirt, and pants seam) are three I use for the 'tough' end of cutting tasks. IF scissors cut them, even if not easily, I consider them pretty darn good scissors.

I listed the Juice line as being the most frustrating MT for me, because it is so close to being great, and I've felt the scissors were a big reason they didn't reach that expectation. Maybe the staking would bring them up to par for me.

Your time and work is much appreciated. By me, at least. :D

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 05:51:24 PM
Thanks for running that test.
Those materials I listed (550, t-shirt, and pants seam) are three I use for the 'tough' end of cutting tasks. IF scissors cut them, even if not easily, I consider them pretty darn good scissors.
I listed the Juice line as being the most frustrating MT for me, because it is so close to being great, and I've felt the scissors were a big reason they didn't reach that expectation. Maybe the staking would bring them up to par for me.
Your time and work is much appreciated. By me, at least. :D

You're welcome,Lynn.

Remember if you decide to follow this procedure,take it easy.You can always redo the staking using the same points if the first time doesn't do well.If anything this procedure will eliminate the wobbles in the scissors.

Sawman does have valid concerns,but if you look at each tool for its uniqueness and are willing to accept its limitations and idiosyncrasies,you'll be more pleased with your purchase.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 06:03:50 PM
Nice one on all counts toolguy  :tu:

Don't let Sawman put you off. The XE6 is the best of the modern Juices,though to my mind the best stock Juice was the KF4. If you want a truly great Juice,you need Metropolicity to build it for you!

Your test results echo Cupboards cable tie test at last years UK meet :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%