Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman T-Rex Prototype

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Leatherman T-Rex Prototype
on: August 24, 2013, 01:36:53 AM
I got this a number of months ago from another member here (this thing has pretty well been around the world and back!) and I promised photos.  I forgot all about that until now.

For those that don't know the story, it's a simple one.  This is the predecessor to what Leatherman is currently selling as the Z-Rex

The initial idea came when someone at Leatherman looked at the sheet metal once all the blades were cut out of it and they thought "Rescue cutter!"  Once the idea was developed a little more Leatherman produced 100 T Rex prototypes for testing and distribution through sales networks and as gimmes for important clients.

The design was tweaked some more after this, as you can see from the current issue model, at which point it was discovered that the T-Rex name had already been trademarked, so the name was changed to Z-Rex to reflect the Z shaped cutter.

But you can probably find out all you need to know about the Z-Rex anywhere, you are probably more interested in the T-Rex.  Otherwise, why are you still reading this?  :D

As you can see, the T-Rex includes the all important bottle opener, an oxygen wrench, a 1/4" slot and a lanyard hole in addition to the hooked blade.  On the butt end is a small glass breaking tip.

The hook blade is actually two slightly curved but mostly straight edges which would be a lot easier for the average user to sharpen, unlike many rounded edges that require some files and/or skill.  Those with a keen eye will note the similarities in shape of the cutout to the tip of the S30V blade of a certain titanium dressed multitool offered by Leatherman.   ;)

All in all this is another one of the really neat pieces in my collection!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Re: Leatherman T-Rex Prototype
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 11:35:11 AM
A nice piece indeed. I do like the flat finish on the T-Rex. Is that powder coated like the model available to the public or cerakote? What ever coating it may be,the flat finish would be a nice medium to blingy stainless and  black oxide.
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 12:13:55 PM
I believe it's cerakote, although to be honest I'm not confident that I could really tell the difference myself.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 03:17:32 PM
It didn't travel around the world, it traveled half way and back again. :P When I first saw it I thought you or Bob would love to have something like this. Luckily for you Bob was having his sabbatical year. ;)

If I remember correctly they made the prototypes in 420 stainless and 154cm too. (which would be logical) but I'm not sure how many of the 100 were made in what material.

sg Offline adobo

Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 03:41:48 PM
Very interesting. Thanks!
"The more it stays the same the less it changes"
-Spinal Tap

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 01:16:09 AM
 :drool:

Now I have to wipe my keyboard.   :-[
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 02:34:12 AM
That looks reeeeeeal nice and first respondy. :drool:

I want it yet I know out of all the functions I will use... none. I prefer the prototype's looks a lot more than the Z-Rex but I suppose replaceable blades make it better...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 02:37:00 AM by Freudian Frog »
Got those frog legs.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 05:17:52 AM
This one actually represents a couple of aspects of my collection.  It's odd, which I like, and it's a rescue tool that fits in with my other rescue cutters.  Of course it's also a prototype which makes it interesting, but I really like the fact that legally this tool can't exist.  And yet, here it is.  :P

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 03:18:12 PM
:drool:

Now I have to wipe my keyboard.   :-[

Agreed!  Nice T-Rex, I appreciate the background on it.
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 09:25:44 PM
It wouldn't be nearly as interesting if there weren't a few tidbits of information as to why it's interestig, now would it?  :D

Def

au Offline PPCAPache

Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 03:12:26 PM
I know there hasn't been a post here for awhile but thought I post a pic of my new LM Z-Rex, just got it today, thought it might come in handy as we are expecting very hot summer and there has been loads of kids and animals left in cars etc.

Founder & Chief UAV Pilot at Elevated Drone Control Zone

Rotation EDC: LM MUT, LM OHT, Fenix LD12 / LD22, Benchmade Mini Griptilian, Bit Card, Bit Extender, TEC Ti-Pry Bar, Garmin Tactix Delta, LM Tread LT, iPhone XS Max, iPad Pro (2020) 12.9”,

Other EDC: LM Surge, LM Wave, LM Wave BO, Skeletool & Skeletool KBX Coyote Tan, The RIT [Rapid Intervention Tool], Zippo Lighter,

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 03:43:46 PM
Nice! I picked up a Z-Rex recently myself, although it has not yet made it to my car, which is the only place it might ever be used. ::) :D Someday soon though. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%