Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Another obscure One Piece Tool no one wanted

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Another obscure One Piece Tool no one wanted
on: August 24, 2013, 01:58:43 PM
I love the old and the odd as many folks here are aware.  We've had a review of teh Gatco/Timberline Frog Tool up on the Main Site for a long time now and it still has some of the fewest hits of any review we've ever posted.  Not a lot of folks were interested in this oddball, although I remember seeing it advertised in Tactical Knives and thinking to myself I just had to have it!

The sheath on this is amusing- it's molded rubber, but softer and more flexible with a molded in belt loop.  It's a real pain in the arse to put on a belt, but it's surprisingly secure when it's there.  Also, the tackiness of the rubber that makes it hard to slip a belt through means it also holds the tool quite securely despite no retention strap.  This is actually quite important.

When you wear this thing right side up on your belt, if you suffer from a muffin top or love handles the screwdriver tips poke at you mercilessly.  I found that because the sheath holds the tool so well that you can carry it upside down on your belt so as not to poke yourself.

Once you pull the tool out of the sheath (which can sometimes be a bit of a challenge!) you can see why this is called the Frog Tool.  It kind of looks like Frogger.

But you probably have to be at least 40 to get that reference!  :P

The Frog Tool is cast aluminum and has a nice texture to it to enhance grip.  It also has a nice array of features from various wrenches (all with sizes clearly marked) and spark plug gapper, some screwdriver ends and so on.  the protruding square bits are actually so you can use sockets with your Frog, which is actually a pretty neat feature.

The back side of the Frog is pretty bland, but we do see that there is a 1/4" socket tucked away back there.  After all, you can't expect this thing to be able to use standard sockets then not accept standard screwdriver bits, can you?

The screwdriver bits are well formed, and the Frog includes a 3D Philips rather than the 2D or "2.5D" type screwdrivers we often see.  You can also see the valve stem tool and Torx screwdriver on the ends.

All in all the Frog Tool is a neat tool, aimed predominantly at use in an automobile, but serves well as an EDC as well, or at least as a a companion/backup to a regular EDC.  In practice the Frog is a bit of a pain- literally.  Some of the sharp edges really dig into your hands during use, especially when dealing with greasy or rusty nuts and bolts under a car hood.  Chances are too, that if you know enough to lift the hood of a car to fix something, you are also smart enough to have at least a basic tool kit in your car, so the Frog might be the solution to a problem that doesn't exist.  Especially when you consider that to fully appreciate the Frog you need to have access to sockets, screwdriver bits and gloves.  I can't imagine anyone bringing mechanic gloves, screwdriver bits and sockets without also having a ratchet and screwdriver along as well.

Even so, like the Screwball these were cheap and plentiful at the time, and are probably also still available dirt cheap if you can find one.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline 209brian

Re: Another obscure One Piece Tool no one wanted
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 03:50:36 PM
Great commentary.  I purchased one based on the review on the site at a closeout price.
I'm probably going for the German variation to complete the set.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 04:38:01 PM
that looks kind of neat, but when do you ever need a 14mm spanner? I use a 13 all the time (and it's got a 1/2 which is basically the same) but the 14 seems like a waste of space to me.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 06:10:29 PM
I got one of those!

And I'd always wondered why it was a Frog Tool...but when you mention the old game,its self evident!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 06:24:57 PM
It always reminded me more of the shape of a frog squashed on the road more than anything else.

I have to say, I'd like to see the valve stem tool on more multitools these days, especially with tire sealant stuff being more common than ever before.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 06:58:04 PM
Cast aluminum screwdrivers? I can't imagine that lasting long.  ???

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 07:13:23 PM
Cast aluminum screwdrivers? I can't imagine that lasting long.  ???
exactly my worry as well.  Does seem an odd choice of material for something under torque. :think:  Still, I like the idea of the socket studs and 1/4" bit holder design. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 10:00:13 PM
While this makes for an interesting conversation piece perhaps, it also embodies everything I don't like about one piece tools.

The ergonomics are horrible, and if you carry it in your pocket you're liable to puncture/rip the pocket - or worse, part of your body. To use any of the drivers (integral or as an add on), you need a large amount of clearance around the tool, and if the screws are recessed at all you're out of luck before you start. Frequently these tools are made out of a material that is wholly inapropriate for the tool style (ti or alu, or cast materials). To get the most out of it, you can't use it on it's own, you actually need a tin or bag of additional accessories - and if you have got a tin or bag with the extras in, there are far better ways of using those accesories than with this.

:shrug:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 10:52:54 PM
I got one from the boss himself! :D

Mine lives in on my motorbike as its got to much sentimental value for everyday use :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 11:16:10 PM
Honestly the lack of ergonomics on this always throws me off but... I might have to pick one up for my namesake. :ahhh
Got those frog legs.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 11:23:41 PM
You got it right on the money there Al.  I agree completely with pretty well everything you said.

Still, I have a room full of other portable tools and a garage full of normal tools so this one is just for interest's sake.

Def

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 01:07:33 AM
Well that's a nice little tool I've never seen before.

I like the value stem tool

I'm going to have to look into the frog some more.

thanks for posting it Def
Defend the Hive!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 01:15:22 AM
No problem. Let us know if you manage to locate one. I did a search for them while posting this and I couldn't find any.

Def

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 01:17:10 AM
No problem. Let us know if you manage to locate one. I did a search for them while posting this and I couldn't find any.

Def

Il let you know.

wish me luck. :)
Defend the Hive!!!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 04:14:35 AM

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 05:10:37 AM
Nice one Al!

Def

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 05:22:54 AM
Here we go chaps ... $8.99 each ...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/frog-tool-multi-tool.aspx?a=523261

thanks 50ft-trad

I'm going to seriously try get one.

and a new pair of boots if they got em. Multitasking lol
Defend the Hive!!!

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 03:29:10 PM
I don´t know who was there first, but the German Frog tool looks even froggier...

http://www.frogtool.de/

And yes, I can forward some, if you like.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 04:11:36 PM
I don´t know who was there first, but the German Frog tool looks even froggier...

http://www.frogtool.de/

And yes, I can forward some, if you like.

Oh my lord yes.
Got those frog legs.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 11:08:17 PM
I remember seeing both metric and Imperial versions of that in the United Cutlery catalogue a few years ago.  I can't recall if they were made by United or if they were just distributing them.  I never did manage to get either of them though. 

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Below Goal: $300.00
Site Currency: USD
 0%