Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Ranger Owner's Club

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: Vic Ranger Owner's Club
Reply #30 on: September 10, 2013, 02:57:47 PM
I've heard the nylon is grippier as you said, which I would like too.  I would also like the fact they're tougher as cellidor does seem to scratch easily.  I remember when I still had my black Explorer, my wife knocked it off the kitchen counter (:twak:) and it got a noticeable dig on the back scale.  It almost looked like it had landed directly on a tiny pebble and embedded into it.  It was only like a 3-4 foot drop, so it seemed a bit much to me.
They are much grippier. Someone in these forums (don't remember who ATM) also said that you can even enhance that effect by using sandpaper on them but I haven't tried that. I think you should give them a try. Cellidor can take some beating but it does tend to lose entire bits when dropped. This makes me anxious when using my Vic Handyman that wears cellidor, being anxious makes my hands sweat, which brings us back to nylon  :D

you can harvest the metal cross from cellidor scales and inlay it into the nylon.
That sounds interesting. How do you do that, please?

Yeah, I may have to consider them, but I'm not an experienced scale changer, so I don't know.  I don't think many models come equipped with them either, if I remember correctly.  Yeah, I am curious how one can take the metal cross from one scale and inlay it into another :think:
K-Tibbs

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #31 on: September 10, 2013, 03:44:08 PM
I don't have a Ranger. The nearest I have is an Original Outdoorsman (two actually  :D) and I have found the pruner and serrated blades to be incredibly useful at times (fibrous materials and opening clam packs are good examples)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #32 on: September 10, 2013, 04:49:33 PM
I don't have a Ranger. The nearest I have is an Original Outdoorsman (two actually  :D) and I have found the pruner and serrated blades to be incredibly useful at times (fibrous materials and opening clam packs are good examples)

Oh that's fairly close to a Ranger though, and very cool :tu:
K-Tibbs

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #33 on: September 13, 2013, 10:39:09 PM

Clamshell packaging is pretty easy to open with any SAK blade - as long as you keep them sharp.
In fact I very rarely find myself wanting serrated blades because I keep my plain-edge blades sharp enough to allow them to do the same jobs easily.  Even in the kitchen I can't remember the last time I used a serrated blade.
My most used kitchen knife: http://www.victorinox.com/ch/product/Cutlery/Category/Household-knives/Paring-knives/SwissClassic-Paring-knife-10-cm/6.7703

One thing I like about most SAKs, including the Ranger is that there is 2 blades, if one is getting blunt I can switch to the other and then sharpen both when I get home.
I also like how easy they are to sharpen.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #34 on: September 13, 2013, 10:49:57 PM
cellidor does seem to scratch easily.  I remember when I still had my black Explorer, my wife knocked it off the kitchen counter (:twak:) and it got a noticeable dig on the back scale.  It almost looked like it had landed directly on a tiny pebble and embedded into it.  It was only like a 3-4 foot drop, so it seemed a bit much to me.

I can't be the only one that doesn't mind, or even prefers to see scale damage.
I think of SAKs as useful tools and signs of wear on the scales show a tool that has actually been used.
My Cybertool 34 has various scratches on its scales, these are badges of honour that celebrate 13 years of EDC, they are a good thing!
Nylon scales for better grip is one thing, but never be afraid to get your cellidor scales scratched!
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #35 on: September 14, 2013, 12:58:20 AM
cellidor does seem to scratch easily.  I remember when I still had my black Explorer, my wife knocked it off the kitchen counter (:twak:) and it got a noticeable dig on the back scale.  It almost looked like it had landed directly on a tiny pebble and embedded into it.  It was only like a 3-4 foot drop, so it seemed a bit much to me.

I can't be the only one that doesn't mind, or even prefers to see scale damage.
I think of SAKs as useful tools and signs of wear on the scales show a tool that has actually been used.
My Cybertool 34 has various scratches on its scales, these are badges of honour that celebrate 13 years of EDC, they are a good thing!
Nylon scales for better grip is one thing, but never be afraid to get your cellidor scales scratched!

Oh don't get me wrong, scratches and whatnot from EDC use is cool with me, just not if the scales are dented or cracked too easily.  Or if someone's negligence results in damage (like what happened in my story above).  I'm sure they don't crack or break that easily, so I'm not really worried about it, especially since I don't do anything too heavy with them.  I just have to be careful not to drop them (which I'm very careful not to do ;))
K-Tibbs

Offline slackard

Reply #36 on: September 23, 2013, 12:00:51 AM
so ah.. sign me up..  decided this Ranger is my new workhorse.  Mooring the aging Climber II ('rostfrei' hilt stamp) into the ghost fleet pier, to be called upon only at the end of the most dire times of need.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #37 on: September 23, 2013, 02:27:06 AM
so ah.. sign me up..  decided this Ranger is my new workhorse.  Mooring the aging Climber II ('rostfrei' hilt stamp) into the ghost fleet pier, to be called upon only at the end of the most dire times of need.

(Image removed from quote.)

Oh hey, fancy meeting you here :rofl:  The Ranger definitely seems like a workhorse SAK :tu:
K-Tibbs

gb Offline Philby

Reply #38 on: February 13, 2014, 06:16:32 PM
I'm in, simply the best.  Biggest pocketable Sak.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 96.38 KB)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #39 on: February 13, 2014, 06:29:44 PM
The Ranger is a somewhat overlooked model, IMO.  I think many folks who shop for a Huntsman would buy a Ranger if they realized how much more the Ranger has to offer with just one more layer...  I agree, the size is just about the limit for comfortable pocket carry.

Here is one of my Rangers with the inlaid "Camping" scale:

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 08:59:25 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #40 on: February 13, 2014, 07:41:09 PM
I want in........ hopefully ill find one this weekend.
CHEERS

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #41 on: February 13, 2014, 08:00:00 PM
Nice Rangers Philby and NutSAK :tu:  Colt, I hope you find one then :tu:

As for me, I will actually be out of my own club soon :whistle:  My Ranger has become a sacrificial SAK, although it's only the scissors.  It'll be coming back the same other than that.  Not sure what that makes it, but it'll probably be up in a giveaway sometime in the near future...
K-Tibbs

us Offline mtds

Reply #42 on: February 13, 2014, 08:32:53 PM
I've had this one in my pocket for a few days:

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: February 13, 2014, 08:45:37 PM
:woohoo:
Well, this is another "The Club" I wouldn't miss it for the world  :D
Although looks like I missed it till now :think:
Can I join? :whistle:
r.JPG
* r.JPG (Filesize: 93.42 KB)
ra.JPG
* ra.JPG (Filesize: 70.14 KB)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #44 on: February 13, 2014, 09:03:18 PM
Nice Rangers Philby and NutSAK :tu:  Colt, I hope you find one then :tu:

As for me, I will actually be out of my own club soon :whistle:  My Ranger has become a sacrificial SAK, although it's only the scissors.  It'll be coming back the same other than that.  Not sure what that makes it, but it'll probably be up in a giveaway sometime in the near future...

Camper Plus (with file)?
- Terry

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: February 13, 2014, 10:11:23 PM
The Ranger is a somewhat overlooked model, IMO.  I think many folks who shop for a Huntsman would buy a Ranger if they realized how much more the Ranger has to offer with just one more layer...  I agree, the size is just about the limit for comfortable pocket carry.

Here is one of my Rangers with the inlaid "Camping" scale:

(Image removed from quote.)

:tu: :cheers:
In the middle of the nineties was stolen my backpack with kinda beauty;
I was away from backpack for about less then 10 meters (30 feet max)  :rant:
I replace it in the very same moment with Camper from a local tobacco shop.
Over the next decade I edc-ing the most of time Champ or Camper,
but have never ever left the SAK (alone) in a bag/backpack.  :D
Then, after picked up a few different saks here and there,
I finally decided to give a home to a new Ranger,  :gimme:
which is in fact a 5-layers swisschamp without magnifier  :whistle: :D

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #46 on: February 13, 2014, 10:32:11 PM

which is in fact a 5-layers Champion without magnifier and scaler  :whistle: :D

I fixed that for you!  ;)  You could also say it's a Swisschamp without pliers, magnifier and scaler...

Sorry to hear of the theft, but I'm glad you have one again--I think it's one of the best SAKs in the Vic lineup!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:34:14 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: February 13, 2014, 11:10:29 PM

which is in fact a 5-layers Champion without magnifier and scaler  :whistle: :D

I fixed that for you!  ;)  You could also say it's a Swisschamp without pliers, magnifier and scaler...

Sorry to hear of the theft, but I'm glad you have one again--I think it's one of the best SAKs in the Vic lineup!

:facepalm:
Although I do not think that any of the tools on sak are useless,
but perhaps replacable (scaler, philips s.), I have really forgot the pliers  :o  :ahhh
as I usually think/say 5-layer swisschamp w/o pliers and magnifier  :whistle:  :D :D :D

I've practically "forgotten" the theft, I went over, but when I saw your ...
And you're absolutely right, the Ranger is one of the best  :tu:
:cheers:

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: February 14, 2014, 03:04:00 AM
I put blue plus scales on my Ranger.  Great toolset on this knife.  That little chisel on the back is great for intricate woodcarving
vic ranger.jpg
* vic ranger.jpg (Filesize: 131.62 KB)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #49 on: February 14, 2014, 03:52:12 AM
Nice Rangers everyone :tu:

Camper Plus (with file)?

That's a possibility :tu:  I don't think there has been any stock model with that loadout, but correct me if I'm wrong.  It'd be great for anyone who doesn't care about the scissors, which slims it down a bit. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #50 on: February 14, 2014, 03:46:04 PM

Camper Plus (with file)?

That's a possibility :tu:  I don't think there has been any stock model with that loadout, but correct me if I'm wrong.  It'd be great for anyone who doesn't care about the scissors, which slims it down a bit.

You are not wrong.  I was not aware of one and double-checked with the wiki as soon as you posted about it.
- Terry

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #51 on: February 14, 2014, 03:49:52 PM

Camper Plus (with file)?

You are not wrong.  I was not aware of one and double-checked with the wiki as soon as you posted about it.

Oh good, I didn't think I'd ever seen one anywhere.  So it will make a nice SAK for someone I bet.
K-Tibbs

us Offline Gadsden

Reply #52 on: March 08, 2014, 07:44:00 PM
How about letting me in? I've always wanted a ranger, so I made one. Had 2 or 3 parts knives laying around so here she is. My EDC swisschamp and alox soldier are getting jealous!
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 213.72 KB)

us Offline Gadsden

Reply #53 on: March 08, 2014, 07:44:45 PM
And the backside.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 185.24 KB)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #54 on: March 09, 2014, 04:24:43 AM
Making one counts as far as I'm concerned, and nice job :tu:  Welcome to the club, and the forum Gadsden :cheers:  I am actually officially out of my own club as I no longer have my Ranger. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline Gadsden

Reply #55 on: March 09, 2014, 05:17:49 AM
Thank you! I didn't get the pins peened perfect but it works really good. I also put a little too much strong arm with my bench vise and the scales, the front rivet dimpled the scales on both sides. The paracord is from Rotokid and the scales are from Felinevet. The knife was a craftsman (with a split Phillips) and a camper. I had 2 perfect brass pin rings but dropped them in my shop never to be seen again, had to substitute some mangled ones for peening. I'll just look the other way concerning your not having a ranger.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #56 on: March 09, 2014, 05:27:05 AM
Haha, thanks for looking the other way ;)  I had to sacrifice its scissors for a custom alox I had done.  Oh well, it was worth it :tu:
K-Tibbs

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: March 09, 2014, 05:11:36 PM
Haha, thanks for looking the other way ;)  I had to sacrifice its scissors for a custom alox I had done.  Oh well, it was worth it :tu:
Holy Mother of God :ahhh what a sacrilege how could ya... :pok:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #58 on: March 09, 2014, 08:36:55 PM
Holy Mother of God :ahhh what a sacrilege (Image removed from quote.) how could ya... :pok:

It was easier than you may think, especially to get that sweet custom Explorer ME ;)
K-Tibbs

us Offline willc

Reply #59 on: March 10, 2014, 12:16:56 AM

Just got this over the weekend from the bay.
I like this tool combination a lot and may try it out during the work week.

Sent from my fancy work phone.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD