Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Norwegian Army Knife

Grathr · 16 · 4780

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Norwegian Army Knife
on: August 25, 2013, 07:29:03 PM
I thought there was no offical Norwegian Army Knife, until I visited the Naval History Museum in Horten today.
In the souvenir shop I found this knife for sale, wich apparently was the official field knife for both Army and Navy back in the days.
It has no stamps on it, but looks a lot like the British Army Knife. I will try to find out more about this knife and post it here later.
NAK 1.JPG
* NAK 1.JPG (Filesize: 624.27 KB)
NAK 2.JPG
* NAK 2.JPG (Filesize: 552.99 KB)
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

no Offline Grathr

Re: Norwegian Army Knife
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 08:23:14 PM
If you have some information about it, I would love to hear it.  :)

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 12:58:13 AM
Wonder if it was supplied by the Brits to the Norwegians back during WWII?

no Offline Grathr

Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 03:14:55 PM
Wonder if it was supplied by the Brits to the Norwegians back during WWII?

I would think that it would have been either before or after the war, as we where occupied by the Germans from 1940-45. Unless it was suplied to our excile units in Britain, Canada or the US.  :think:
I have sendt an email to the museum, asking if they have some more information.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 04:35:32 PM
Did you break a nail while opening the blades? If so its identical to a BAK  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 05:56:07 PM
Did you break a nail while opening the blades? If so its identical to a BAK  :tu:
Lol that's certainly true :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 07:22:27 PM
I thought there was no offical Norwegian Army Knife, until I visited the Naval History Museum in Horten today.
In the souvenir shop I found this knife for sale, wich apparently was the official field knife for both Army and Navy back in the days.
It has no stamps on it, but looks a lot like the British Army Knife. I will try to find out more about this knife and post it here later.

I had one in the army( mid 90s), bad for the fingernails  :D Worn in the chest pocket with a lanyard. Mine was British from the 50s or 60s if i remember correct. There are some variations on them. Made by different British makers for example in Sheffield + other countries. My info on them is vague. Good Luck finding out!
Get more tools

no Offline Grathr

Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 07:42:58 PM

I had one in the army( mid 90s), bad for the fingernails  :D Worn in the chest pocket with a lanyard. Mine was British from the 50s or 60s if i remember correct. There are some variations on them. Made by different British makers for example in Sheffield + other countries. My info on them is vague. Good Luck finding out!

This one is actually quite easy to open, so I guess I was lucky  :D
I bet they made them so hard to open, so the soldiers would use them less, and therfore not wear out so fast.  :rofl:

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 07:56:54 PM

I bet they made them so hard to open, so the soldiers would use them less, and therfore not wear out so fast.  :rofl:

Yes :rofl:
PS they work well as a weapon, with the long lanyard on can swing like a berserk with it  :rofl:
Get more tools

no Offline Grathr

Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 09:13:37 PM

:rofl:

Yes :rofl:
PS they work well as a weapon, with the long lanyard on can swing like a berserk with it  :rofl:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 11:21:42 PM

I do have a few BAK's , I really need to tidy stuff up a bit but here's the first two I found

The top one was made in 1944 by Richards in Sheffield
The bottom one was made in 1940 by 'Venture'(?) H.M.Slater

:cheers:
26.08.2013 011.jpg
* 26.08.2013 011.jpg (Filesize: 197.76 KB)
Everything’s adjustable

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 08:55:40 AM
Hi

I did search that a name "Humphreys Radiant Sheffield" is a name for old WW2 BAK, if correct. Also made in the east example India, not sure where in India. I know that some Enfield rifles got the Ishapore India maker, but related to BAK? I do not know.
The BAKs are well made and last a long long time and is collectable.
PS about my comment it is a good weapon is refering to other info i have and actually it got mentioned in the army, that it can be a last line of defence weapon in a military Contex. I just find it a bit funny if two soldiers should start to swing these at each other :) don`t be alarmed "knife violence is bad :(
It is an interesting tool, many of them can corrode and it is in many cases a maintenance problem that they will be very hard to open..
Get more tools

no Offline Grathr

Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 06:19:43 PM
I got a very nice email from the museum today.
The first batch of knives of the type I bought was branded "Watts Sheffield"  and was made in 1943, and was used by the coast artillery. Mine might be from that batch, but since it is unmarked I cant be certain.
The Navy had a similar knife but whitout the canopener until 1972.

North Man, may I ask wich branch you served under during your conscription?

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 08:28:25 PM
Everything’s adjustable

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 09:25:37 PM
I got a very nice email from the museum today.
The first batch of knives of the type I bought was branded "Watts Sheffield"  and was made in 1943, and was used by the coast artillery. Mine might be from that batch, but since it is unmarked I cant be certain.
The Navy had a similar knife but whitout the canopener until 1972.

North Man, may I ask wich branch you served under during your conscription?

Good info, i served in the coast artillery in the North. Inland as well as coast exercise.

Get more tools

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 09:27:01 PM
Get more tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31