Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best tool for job

Offline Texasbuddie

• New User
Best tool for job
on: May 06, 2008, 12:44:36 AM
Our company is looking for a multi-tool that will be used primarily for cutting plastic wire ties. We have had too many knife injuries and thought a multi-tool might discourage the use of knives even though there are knife blades in the multi-tool. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline kent ct

Re: Best tool for job
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 12:57:54 AM
A diagonal wire cutter plier would be the tool I would grab first, but if you want a multi then the wire cutter area of the plier should work well provided there is enough clearance for the front of the plier to get under the plastic.

Richard

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 01:25:50 AM
A diagonal wire cutter plier would be the tool I would grab first, but if you want a multi then the wire cutter area of the plier should work well provided there is enough clearance for the front of the plier to get under the plastic.

I agree with Richard.  Diagonal cutters are much better at accessing the plastic cable ties, especially where clearance is a problem.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 01:26:12 AM
First. If the company is going the route of a MT over just a pair of pliers. And they are anything like the prizes that I work with. I would be going with a locking main blade. Plus on the tool   issue is there a price limit? If you just want something functional I would go with the Lowes multitool It is just 15$ and can be returned if broken on lunch hour. The tool is actually a great little tool and works well. Even though it does not have a locking blade.

Plus the Cheap cost is a plus.
S

Offline Rob

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 02:12:40 AM
Hey this is funny I just installed a couple of security systems for a client and needed to clip a billion nylon ties.  Being a multi-tool guy of course I pulled out my trusty Charge and went to work.  But I'm embarrassed to say by the end of the few days I had reluctantly grabbed a small pair of dikes and used then since clearance was an issue and getting the whole head into the cut was sometimes challenging.  So I guess it comes down to a multi could do the task but it definitely wasn't the best tool for it.  If you for sure want to go the MT route you might wait until the Sog PowerCut] is on the market.  Supposed to be out around July.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 02:18:31 AM
What about a LM Micra? Although the scissors aren't super tough they handle wire ties pretty well.. Or even a LM Kick.. It has very good wire cutters..
B

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 08:33:56 AM
http://www.gerbergear.com/product.php?model=1549

How about that? Gerber MP600 Cable Cutter, quick to deploy and only needs one hand so a lot easier than a butterfly tool :)
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 10:19:00 PM
If the company is going to pay for it,go for the LM TTi,and use the gut hook,even if it don't work well,you still get a great MT!!!

Offline Biru

Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 04:10:36 AM
I think Roadie's spot on with the rec of the Multiplier. It's far from my favorite tool, but the tool has (or at least Gerber used to offer) 4 interchangeable pliers from diagonal cutters to needlenose and blunt pliers. The company could simply buy a group of 600s and get varied plier heads and give the most appropriate one to each technician. Also, if the pliers are to be the main-functioning tool, the 600s have fast-deploy pliers (theatre light and rigging guys around here used to love them for that). Also, the handle design makes it nearly impossible to have a knife blade close up on the user.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 07:01:16 AM
It all depends on the size of the ties... if they're small or thin enough, go with just about any rescue tool.  The seat belt cutter will zip thru some of the smaller ties.  The CrossCut could be an option too.

If they're the big ties, then a dedicated cutter like the Gerber is the way to go.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 08:34:39 AM
I agree- stick with a cutter based tool rather than a plier based tool if you cut lots of cable ties.  Gerber makes a good one, as does SOG, and Bear Cutlery also makes  set of shears, but I can't comment on them.  Leatherman's Hybrid or Vista might also be a decent idea- those cutters will go through just about anything that will fit inside them, and the Hybrid's sheath allows you to carry the shears in an unfolded position for easy access.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 08:36:02 AM
gerber cable cutterd are nice. the toolzall maintinance pro is  giant set of shears that would work well and are cheaper.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 03:45:58 PM
Wow, I didn't even think of the LM Hybrid/Vista! I would go for one of those!
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 12:00:06 AM
I think the Hybrid or Vista would be a good idea as well.
I'm back!!

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 01:10:02 AM
Perhaps the Skeletool series.  Definately the Freestyle, due to cost & simplicity(i.e. you can't loose the screw-bits). :multi:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 01:16:42 AM by BIG-TARGET »
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%