Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Keychain or small pocket pliers

Offline victordomingos

Keychain or small pocket pliers
on: August 28, 2013, 06:45:33 PM
Hi. I have been using a victorinox explorer and a minichamp for a while and never thought I would need pliers in a multitool. Until a few days ago, when I noticed that it would be useful to bend wire or paperclips into other shapes. Well, so I started considering adding pliers to my EDC. I know there are some nice Leatherman multitools that are based on pliers, but as I have a SAK, I was looking for something similar, but maybe lighter and less expensive. I just need to add the pliers to my keychain, and don't feel the need for another knife, screwdriver, caplifter, and so on. Any suggestions for an inexpensive, light and small, but efficient pair of pliers?

Thanks in advance!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Keychain or small pocket pliers
Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 07:11:20 PM
I'd have a little look at the Swiss Tech Micro-Tech; http://www.swisstechtools.com/proddetail.aspx?pid=6

Not great pliers maybe, but for what you are talking about I'd think they'd be OK.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 07:46:43 PM
Check these, too.
I have a Scarab. Not very strong but it's helpfull around the office for (very) light tasks.

http://www.trueutility.com/

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 07:54:46 PM
There are also the IDL mini-pliers, the T5, T7 and T10; http://idltools.e-beans.net/products/industrial_multi_tools.html
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 08:04:25 PM
I was just about to post http://www.idltools.com/products/t5/, so a +1 to Gareth's suggestion.
The most basic is pretty basic. See also the intoduction to this thread: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,46955.0.html

I have/had a set of those Swiss+Tech pliers and didn't really get on with them. Unless you're really careful the handles fold up.

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 09:25:23 PM
I will actually recommend a SOG crossgrip if you can get your hands on one.
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 10:02:25 PM
Another  :tu: for the IDL T5 and T7  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 10:28:06 PM
If you just need to bend wire, the small notch in the Vic bottle opener (the wire stripper nobody uses to remove insulation from wires) is pretty useful for that too.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 01:37:34 AM
If you're going to get an IDL, I would get the T7 over the T5, since it has two additional tools for virtually no increase in size or weight, and the smaller screwdrivers do come in handy.  I had a T7 for a while, though I ultimately gave it away.  Quality was not the best, as the whole tool was somewhat crooked, but still usable.  Also had some trouble with it rusting in my pocket.  (This might have been prevented with a bit more TLC, but who wants a high-maintenance keychain tool?)

I agree the IDL tools are better thought-out than the Swisstech ones.  If only they would offer them in stainless and tighten up the QC, they might have a real winner.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 03:43:06 AM
T7 owner here - rather useful little thing for it's size :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 08:34:01 AM
Amici,
I carry a mcgizmo keyring clipped Leatherman PS4, the best of both worlds..

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

Offline victordomingos

Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 02:57:32 PM

If you just need to bend wire, the small notch in the Vic bottle opener (the wire stripper nobody uses to remove insulation from wires) is pretty useful for that too.

Yes, I have tried that, and it works sometimes. But when you need to apply some strength to bend just the tip, it gets harder. With pliers it should be easier ;-)

Offline victordomingos

Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 02:58:48 PM

Amici,
I carry a mcgizmo keyring clipped Leatherman PS4, the best of both worlds..

Cheers,
Serge

Leatherman seems to be a good product. I was hoping to get something similar but with less tools on it, so it would be lighter and cheaper.

Offline victordomingos

Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 03:00:43 PM

I will actually recommend a SOG crossgrip if you can get your hands on one.

That tool looks really cool. The prices I could find on the web, however, are a bit overwhelming. Probably because the have ended production but people still liked it...

Offline victordomingos

Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 03:03:24 PM

There are also the IDL mini-pliers, the T5, T7 and T10; http://idltools.e-beans.net/products/industrial_multi_tools.html

These seem to be closer to what I am looking for, especially the t5 ou the t7. The pliers tips seem to be large. I think I would prefer thinner like in the leatherman but I will take a look. Probably this will be my final choice.

Thank you all. Any other ideas, before I make my mind? :-)

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 03:14:38 PM
I would recommend the LM Style PS, combined with a Wenger Patriot, and keychain phillips screwdriver; it will have you covered for most of the tools you need on a keyring, and feels and looks good to use.

Offline victordomingos

Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 07:23:55 PM

I would recommend the LM Style PS, combined with a Wenger Patriot, and keychain phillips screwdriver; it will have you covered for most of the tools you need on a keyring, and feels and looks good to use.

Hi! Thanks for the tip. I wasn't considering Leatherman because of the price tag and because I already have two SAKs on may EDC. But I like the pliers shape and I noticed this is a small and light tool overall. The price is a little heavir but probably that will reflect on the quality, i guess. I think I will consider also this one... :-)

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 10:12:15 PM
Everyone differs not only in their needs, but in the way they wish to fulfil their needs.

One thing to think about is whether you mind, or even want duplication of tools. For me, I hate that, I don't like any redundancy. So the combination I have gone for doesn't duplicate anything. Otherwise I would have gone for a LM squirt PS4 rather than the LM Style PS, but because I have a knife in the Wenger patriot, I didn't want another knife blade.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 02:01:39 PM
Everyone differs not only in their needs, but in the way they wish to fulfil their needs.

One thing to think about is whether you mind, or even want duplication of tools. For me, I hate that, I don't like any redundancy. So the combination I have gone for doesn't duplicate anything. Otherwise I would have gone for a LM squirt PS4 rather than the LM Style PS, but because I have a knife in the Wenger patriot, I didn't want another knife blade.
How do you like the Style PS? The pliers/scissors combination seems nice but are they reliable? For small tasks around the office, I mean, nothing to big/demanding.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 02:06:19 PM

How do you like the Style PS? The pliers/scissors combination seems nice but are they reliable? For small tasks around the office, I mean, nothing to big/demanding.

Don't rely on the scissors on the Style PS  :pok: they are quite a weak design and are subject to spring failure, and a few members have suffered this ... including me. Unfortunately this scissor spring design is also found on the Style, the Squirt PS4 AND on the Gerber Dime. It's well worth having an alternate pair of scissors in your load out if they are an essential tool IMHO

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline victordomingos

Reply #20 on: August 31, 2013, 12:23:15 AM
I decided to give a try with the LM Style PS. It will be my first Leatherman. I hope it impresses me so positively as victorinox did once with my first Swiss Army knives :-)

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 31, 2013, 11:11:59 AM

Not had any problems with it so far myself.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 04:54:17 PM
After all this talk, I got myself this one:

http://www.swisstechtools.com/proddetail.aspx?pid=29

:tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline victordomingos

Reply #23 on: September 07, 2013, 12:09:01 AM

Please let us know what you think about it. Is the wire cutter capable of cutting a 1 or 2 mm paperclip? What about the tools? Are they comfortable in your hand while doing their work? Do they feel resistant?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 07:09:07 PM

Please let us know what you think about it. Is the wire cutter capable of cutting a 1 or 2 mm paperclip? What about the tools? Are they comfortable in your hand while doing their work? Do they feel resistant?

Just made me ruin a perfectly good clip... 5cm long, I think it's 1mm thick. Took a little effort, the pliers handles are not very long but it was a clean cut and no damage to the tool. The tools feel good in the hand, you have a large surface to hold and it gives a good torque. Some attention is needed while using the pliers. The handles may move from alignment but you can avoid it with some habit.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Offline victordomingos

Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 09:34:35 AM
Thanks!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 12:38:24 PM
One more test last night, stitching a leather wallet. Needed to use the plier to pull the needle. Worked perfectly, didn't slip on the needle and didn't leave any marks on it either.

:tu: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 02:58:15 AM
I like the Leatherman Style PS. It is a very nice pair of pliers and is still lightweight, almost less than a SAK.
Leatherman

Offline victordomingos

Reply #28 on: September 21, 2013, 01:40:38 AM
I just got my new Leatherman Style PS, and it's cool. It feels nice in my hands and in my pocket, this thing is very small.

It has a fine pliers head and does a pretty good job at bending and cutting paper clips, for instance, so I think it will be useful in some occasions. When cutting wire, the handle may leave a mark in our hand, it could be more flat on the handles in order to improve comfort.

The small screwdriver is perfect, and the same pea for the nail file and the tweezers.

The scissors are reasonable, but I prefer the victorinox ones.

The best thing are the pliers. They have a good snap when they open and close. But that snap is not present in the other tools.

The look of this multitool is ok for for something you will throw between your keys, but it is not as intemporal and "yummy" as a SAK. :-)

Offline victordomingos

Reply #29 on: September 21, 2013, 01:40:57 AM
I just got my new Leatherman Style PS, and it's cool. It feels nice in my hands and in my pocket, this thing is very small.

It has a fine pliers head and does a pretty good job at bending and cutting paper clips, for instance, so I think it will be useful in some occasions. When cutting wire, the handle may leave a mark in our hand, it could be more flat on the handles in order to improve comfort.

The small screwdriver is perfect, and the same pea for the nail file and the tweezers.

The scissors are reasonable, but I prefer the victorinox ones.

The best thing are the pliers. They have a good snap when they open and close. But that snap is not present in the other tools.

The look of this multitool is ok for for something you will throw between your keys, but it is not as intemporal and "yummy" as a SAK. :-)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%