Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Eclipse Mint Tins

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Eclipse Mint Tins
on: September 02, 2013, 12:45:30 PM
Anyone else buy these as much for the container as the mints inside?  :facepalm:

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: Eclipse Mint Tins
Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 04:18:22 PM
All of my friends and Co workers save me tier altoid tins.  I think I have about 80 of them. 

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 04:34:58 PM
I Actually have none but I do have a bazillion Altoids tins.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 05:03:36 PM
I bought two to try to convert them into a 'mini' survival kit', but they were so small that the whole point was virtually moot.  :facepalm:

But on a second thought, they could potentially make some kind of kit, such as a fishing kit or fire starter kit(lighter, ferro rod, bagged tinder, etc).

pl Offline swiety

• Leatherworker
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 05:08:27 PM
for me altoids tin is  the best

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 05:14:20 PM
I bought two to try to convert them into a 'mini' survival kit', but they were so small that the whole point was virtually moot.  :facepalm:

But on a second thought, they could potentially make some kind of kit, such as a fishing kit or fire starter kit(lighter, ferro rod, bagged tinder, etc).

it's amazing how much you can get in those little tins ...  :whistle:

:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline detron

Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 05:30:44 PM

To me the key word is survival kit. Not camping kit.   If I were to go hiking,  then yes the altoid tin is not enough.   But what I have in my tin is essentially the tools that would make it possible to have a chance if I was stranded,  lost,  Or whatever else might happen.  My altoid tin survival kit goes with me just about everywhere.  the office, The store,  wherever

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 05:33:07 PM

it's amazing how much you can get in those little tins ...  :whistle:

(Image removed from quote.)

Now that is one capable altoids tin!

gb Offline Dr Gonzo

Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 05:47:54 PM
I've had similar sized tins from my local Home Bargains called O\ZON, handy little tins ;)
I come across some mini survival kits using this sized tin on ebay...just for an idea of what you can fit in them, not a bad price either for something you can keep in your pocket just in case :tu:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-SURVIVAL-KIT-TIN-for-camping-bushcraft-/181195205165?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a30136a2d
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 05:09:28 AM

I love the rubber band, where could I get one?   :drool: :D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:14:18 AM by comis »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 05:19:32 AM

To me the key word is survival kit. Not camping kit.   If I were to go hiking,  then yes the altoid tin is not enough.   But what I have in my tin is essentially the tools that would make it possible to have a chance if I was stranded,  lost,  Or whatever else might happen.  My altoid tin survival kit goes with me just about everywhere.  the office, The store,  wherever

Absolutely, it took me a while to reassemble one recently, but there is a designated outdoor survival kit I use and I prefer a small postcard tin than a standard altoids tin.  The Eclipse tin is nice, but I think there is a balance between being portable and usable.  And it being a little more than half size of an altoids tin, it is beyond my skill and comfort level to use as a survival kit.  :D

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 07:52:26 AM

Google Ranger Bands Comis  :salute:

You can buy them or have a go at making your own  :cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 05:14:29 PM

Sparky, are you thinking what I am thinking?  I think you just put a spark in my head...!  :o :D

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 05:40:45 PM

50ft-trad is that the leatherman mini tool? Now when I see it next to a 93 mm vic i want it even more.  :drool:

Too bad they don't make them any more... or at least some kind of copy.  :(
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 08:50:34 PM

Sparky, are you thinking what I am thinking?  I think you just put a spark in my head...!  :o :D

Yep I'm a bad influence  :D

There's actually an instructables on how to cut up old inner tubes   :rofl:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ranger-Bands-Rubber-Bands-on-Steroids/step3/Apply-to-Chosen-Use/

And

http://www.instructables.com/id/10-of-1000-Uses-for-Old-Bicycle-Tubes/

Bicycle repair shops around here are please to give them away  :cheers:

(Edited to add)
Sorry Comis I forgot about your thread here  :facepalm:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,46491.0/topicseen.html

:cheers:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 10:38:05 PM by sparky415 »
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 11:15:28 PM

50ft-trad is that the leatherman mini tool? Now when I see it next to a 93 mm vic i want it even more.  :drool:

Too bad they don't make them any more... or at least some kind of copy.  :(

Yeah, that's a Mini Tool right there Lister  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline detron

Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 02:49:00 AM
It is amazing the list of things you could have in the tin.

I secure mine with ranger bands.  they are excellent rubber band replacements, they are also flamable and make a great fire starter.

from left (top to bottom) to right

Safety pins
eye screws
nails
about 8 different needles
(the tube to the left and lid to the right of the needles is what holds the needles and the small nails)

about 3 feet of duck tape ACU digital
about 350 square inches of heavy duty aluminum foil

split ring
compass
inside the electrical tape is a super bright LED and a battery (makes a great flashlight)
snare wire
jigsaw blade (tape over teeth)

white string is 8 feet of paracord inner strand.  (50 pound rating)
Leatherman P4  (P4 had an awl  :tu:)

Damp resistant matches, with striker (From an MRE)
water purification tablets
fishing kit (lure, hooks, sinkers, and a few feet of fishing line) (paracord inner line can be used to make longer)
benadryl

Antacid
pencil (broken to be shorter)
bobbin of thread
Motrin
Triple antibiotic ointment I put into a straw and melted the ends

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 04:47:19 AM
(Edited to add)
Sorry Comis I forgot about your thread here  :facepalm:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,46491.0/topicseen.html

:cheers:

Hey, Sparky. 

Nah, don't bother about that.  It was too late for me last night to come back here for more discussion.  ;)  I have some new material to post soon, and just wanna push out the old video before posting the new one.

But you'd put a new idea into my head though, and thanks to that, I should be able to apply the same idea to the survival kit exterior.  :D :tu:  Once I got that done, I will come back and report.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 05:27:34 AM

Detron,

Thanks for posting the kit and the picture!  Are the eye screws for shelter making?  For water purification, do you use some form of sodium chloride tabs, but refitted in a small ziplock bag?(in case, gonna be very careful about that...)

Survival kit is always one of my favorite topics, maybe due to my gear junky nature or just my boy scout background, I always felt the need to get ready and when it come to survival kit and skill, I do want to know/learn everything I could to increase my last chance of survival. :)

Currently, after a few months of testing/building, I think my kit is 95% ready, but I gonna hold out a little bit to gather my thoughts and video material to further discuss that.

I think our kits have some similarities, and I put a heavy focus on shelter/fire/signal.  I 'cheated' a little by using mini-postcard tin, and gain probably 30% increase of capacity.  And I have a mylar sheet attached to the exterior of the kit(I didn't have that in the past, which I think is a weakness for a small size psk), and one signal mirror outside and inside the psk.  I also put in the smallest sparklite device I could find, magnifying lens sheet, a mini ferro rod/magnesium rod combo, 6-7 really compressed Tinder Quik for fire.

Water purification tabs are the pain in the axx to deal with, and I have to leave about 6 in original package.  I was warned by a very experienced survival instructor not to repackage the sodium chloride since mishandling might lead to potential blindness(the idea is freaky). :facepalm:

Anyway, before I wander on too much, I think I might be a little too off-topic( :twak:) and save the rest for another time. :D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 05:44:40 AM by comis »

us Offline detron

Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 02:23:40 PM

Detron,

Thanks for posting the kit and the picture!  Are the eye screws for shelter making?  For water purification, do you use some form of sodium chloride tabs, but refitted in a small ziplock bag?(in case, gonna be very careful about that...)

Survival kit is always one of my favorite topics, maybe due to my gear junky nature or just my boy scout background, I always felt the need to get ready and when it come to survival kit and skill, I do want to know/learn everything I could to increase my last chance of survival. :)

Currently, after a few months of testing/building, I think my kit is 95% ready, but I gonna hold out a little bit to gather my thoughts and video material to further discuss that.

I think our kits have some similarities, and I put a heavy focus on shelter/fire/signal.  I 'cheated' a little by using mini-postcard tin, and gain probably 30% increase of capacity.  And I have a mylar sheet attached to the exterior of the kit(I didn't have that in the past, which I think is a weakness for a small size psk), and one signal mirror outside and inside the psk.  I also put in the smallest sparklite device I could find, magnifying lens sheet, a mini ferro rod/magnesium rod combo, 6-7 really compressed Tinder Quik for fire.

Water purification tabs are the pain in the axx to deal with, and I have to leave about 6 in original package.  I was warned by a very experienced survival instructor not to repackage the sodium chloride since mishandling might lead to potential blindness(the idea is freaky). :facepalm:

Anyway, before I wander on too much, I think I might be a little too off-topic( :twak:) and save the rest for another time. :D

Comis,

thanks for the warning about the water purification tablets!  the ones in my kit are actually iodine tablets, so I will do some research on thier MSDS sheet.

Yes, Shelter/Fire/Signal are the focus of my survival needs (and water) but not of my kit.
this sounds dumb, but actually is not as dumb as you might think.
in my back pocket I always carry one of these

in every pair of shoes I own, I have a piece of flint steel inside a hollowed out piece of paracord fastened to a shoe lace eye hole.

EVERYDAY I wear a belt I made out of Paracord.  All of my shoe laces on all of my shoes are paracord.
and of coarse, in the past 6 years I have worn a paracord bracelet every day.
So, between belt and shoes, I have over 100 feet of paracord on me every day.

the eye bolts can be used for shelter making, hell you could use them as the eyes of a fishing pole, and use the bobbin as a reel.

to me survival is mindset first, tools and supplies second.  I did not put those in the kit for a specific reason, I just figured they might be useful.

now that all of that has been said, I have to try really hard to end up in the woods.  it is very difficult for me to get away from populated areas.  I work in an office, not out side.  but I feel prepared and it adds a sense of power and it seems to lower my stress.

I have other kits whose build out is different, and in my car I used one of these empty cans

to make a larger more robust kit for my car.  a real threat where I live is getting stuck in your car in a blizzard or extreme cold.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 07:06:20 PM
Detron,

Thanks for the info, very interesting ideas and I really like the idea of having dozens/hundred feet of paracord on person.  So as long that stays on as EDC, you have got part of the shelter/friction fire covered!  That's way cool, and I felt that's what my kit is lacking(even wrapping paracord outside hardly is a sufficient amount).  :tu:

I too am in an very urban environment, but I seek every opportunity I have to go out and have fun outdoor.  Compared to those whose trade is/living close to the outdoor, I am definitely not as knowledgeable for outdoor living and probably that's why I'd like to be well prepared.  No doubt the mentality and skill always come first, but that doesn't justify to undermine the importance of gear, especially if it is for survival.  I think we are probably thinking about the same lines.  :D

I actually have a more extensive survival kit which is meant to be carried either in backpack or on person once I put the pack down.  And lately, I am thinking about creating some kind of urban 'comfort' kit, and that should be something fun to do.

The car kit idea is interesting, if I were you, I would probably consider putting in a spare battery/inexpensive back-up cell phone in it, money, window breaker, first-aid stuff(SAM split/Israeli bandage, gauze pad, etc), a pre-made largely printed 'Call 911' sign would also help(since people might not actually stop to ask if you are ok, but they might call 911 on their cell for you), and other survival priorities(shelter/clothes, water, signal, etc).

I think we might be way off-track here, let's start a new thread or in an old thread at a related subforum to continue before OP  :twak: me.  :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%