Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My favorite antique socket set

Nhoj · 12 · 4813

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
on: September 05, 2013, 01:01:29 AM
I collect many old tools. Some of my favorite are old socket sets. Today I was dusting off some of my old tools and thought I'd take some pictures of my favorite antique socket set. It is one of many socket sets that were made by Bethlehem Spark plug Company under the name Quickway.   Most of these are from the 1920s or 1930s and come in metal boxes. Mine is in a wooden box with a cool sliding lid so it might be from earlier. The first factor of why I like this is the cute factor. I know I'm a man but this 5 inch long little socket set is cute! The wrench comes in two pieces that you assemble before use. One of the best features of this set is the beautiful copper plating on all the steel. The only thing not copper plated is the bar that attaches to the wrench. Unlike other sockets, the wrench connects to the socket with a hex shaped hole. Because of this it can take a second to figure out which side of the socket goes on the wrench and which side is put on the bolt. Overall I like this socket set for its small size in an interesting box. The copper plating also looks wonderful on all the parts. If anyone has more info on this socket set please tell me.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 01:03:48 AM

It with some other old friends
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 01:07:07 AM by Nhoj »

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 01:05:15 AM
Here are some pictures showing some patina on the copper

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Re: My favorite antique socket set
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 10:48:47 PM
oooOOooh. That's rather nice.

I have nothing useful to add other then that I have a fairly old hex drive socket set, it's odd.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 10:50:27 PM

oooOOooh. That's rather nice.

I have nothing useful to add other then that I have a fairly old hex drive socket set, it's odd.
The best part is it was $5

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 11:30:39 PM
Those are pretty sweet! I love old tools, and you got a steal at $5.:tu:

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 12:01:08 AM
Yes the newer metal box versions of the same set can go for $30+ dollars

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 01:09:04 AM
I love those. :dd:

Are those standard size?  Have you used them?

I LOVE THOSE!!! :cheers:

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 03:40:00 AM
I love those. :dd:

Are those standard size?  Have you used them?

I LOVE THOSE!!! :cheers:
Yes they are standard US sizes. I have used them a little to test them and they work fine. The copper finish looks beautiful in real life, much better than in my pictures. The artwork on the box that says quickway also looks really cool but you can't really see it in the pictures. I would love to find a huge copper plated wrench made by them like this.

There is an ebay auction with a set fairly similar to mine right now, although they do not have the signature quickway copper finish
http://bit.ly/17etP38

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 08:04:30 AM
Sweet socket set.   :tu:    I've been in an old tool mode mostly wrenchs and Vise Grips for over a year now.    :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 03:47:08 AM
Neat old tools! I was bitten by the vintage tool bug some time ago and my latest acquisition is this: A set of 8 sockets;a crow's foot;and a screwdriver blade made by the Rex Wrench Co of Boston Massachusetts. The Alloy Artifacts website lists them as being in business from 1907 to 1916.
This set is missing the handle(there is a pic of one on the AA site next to a ruler and when I get time I think I can make one)and one of the sockets is cracked(probably why the handle was discarded;it likely broke as well).What is unusual about these sockets is instead of having sizes on them they are numbered from 1 to 8 and there is a chart on the inside of the box lid showing which ones to use for which bolt size. Best of all was the price:$15 US.
RexWrenchCo1.jpg
* RexWrenchCo1.jpg (Filesize: 65.09 KB)
RexWrenchCo4.jpg
* RexWrenchCo4.jpg (Filesize: 35.55 KB)

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 12:05:23 PM

Neat old tools! I was bitten by the vintage tool bug some time ago and my latest acquisition is this: A set of 8 sockets;a crow's foot;and a screwdriver blade made by the Rex Wrench Co of Boston Massachusetts. The Alloy Artifacts website lists them as being in business from 1907 to 1916.
This set is missing the handle(there is a pic of one on the AA site next to a ruler and when I get time I think I can make one)and one of the sockets is cracked(probably why the handle was discarded;it likely broke as well).What is unusual about these sockets is instead of having sizes on them they are numbered from 1 to 8 and there is a chart on the inside of the box lid showing which ones to use for which bolt size. Best of all was the price:$15 US.
Cool set! That's a neat one because of the chart.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%