Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Light for a deer hunter

Roc · 11 · 1548

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Light for a deer hunter
on: November 29, 2013, 06:02:34 AM
Every year my family draws names for gifts. I drew my brother in laws. He is a big time deer hunter. I'm looking for a pocketable or sheath friendly light with a lot of throw for around $50. Does it exist?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Light for a deer hunter
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 08:10:03 AM
If you want to go with known brands then Jetbeam, Fenix, Maglite etc. all have some AA (1-2 bateries) that are within that budget and produce what I will consider good throw.

They are also pocketable and light. e.g. Jetbeam BA series, Fenix E, LD series, Maglite pro etc.

If you want to go with ultrafire, trustfire etc then you can get some serious throw for that money e.g. torches using 3 XML Leds like the TR3 T6 (needs a sheath). Some may require 18650 type batteries or 3AAAs.

However, if he is going to mount the torch on the gun you need to make sure that the torch is suitably tested for the recoil of the gun.

I do not go hunting at night, thus I have not tested any on a  gun.

If you look in the review forum there are some more details on some lower cost torches
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 05:06:40 PM
As a hunter, I don't find much use for a handheld flashlight, but a headlamp is worth it's weight in gold. Having tracked a deer at sunset and field dressed and carried it out after dark, I'd have ground a groove in my teeth with a handheld.

However, if he is going to mount the torch on the gun you need to make sure that the torch is suitably tested for the recoil of the gun.

In most parts of the US, hunting at night is usually illegal, especially for deer. They freeze when you hit them with the light, most unsporting.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 05:31:46 PM
I was not suggesting he should go hunting at night.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 06:47:35 PM
He doesn't hunt at night. He lives on acreage and him and his boys like to just go out and see what they can spot.  I figured a pocket or sheath light would be easier to lug around than a deer spotter. Don't want this thread to turn into an arguement or debate.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 07:10:06 PM

I do not go hunting at night, thus I have not tested any on a  gun.

I did say in my original post, as seen in the quote, that I do not go hunting at night, so I can not see how it was assumed that I support or know anything about hunting at night. I wonder what assumption would have been made had I not specifically said that previously.  ::)
Some people in the US shoot at night, which is why you see many discussions in e.g. CPF on mounting torches on guns.

Hunting at night is illegal here too, as it is in many countries.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 08:54:46 PM
For lots of throw you are normally looking for something with a large diameter head with a deep reflector.  A big question you'll need to think about is what kind of cells (batteries) you think your brother-in-law is going to be happy using; common AA style cells, or more expensive (but higher voltage) CR123 style cells, or bigger 18650 cells that require speSmurfpillst charging systems.

Unless he's into flashlights I would suggest a AA based light.

I know I'm breaking your budget a bit, but how about this? http://www.amazon.com/Foursevens-QB2A-AE-246-Lumen-Quark-Finish/dp/B00915NW64/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_2

« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 09:04:18 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 08:56:48 PM
As a hunter, I don't find much use for a handheld flashlight, but a headlamp is worth it's weight in gold. Having tracked a deer at sunset and field dressed and carried it out after dark, I'd have ground a groove in my teeth with a handheld.

In most parts of the US, hunting at night is usually illegal, especially for deer. They freeze when you hit them with the light, most unsporting.

I was going to respond but this post is EXACTLY spot on.  Headlamp.  Red light is thought by some to be less conspicuous by deer.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 01:32:38 AM
Unless he's into flashlights I would suggest a AA based light.

I know I'm breaking your budget a bit, but how about this? http://www.amazon.com/Fou...5NW64/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_2

I think this is what I had in mind.  It's not too over budget and I think a AA light is the way to go. This light is going to be used to roam his land to see what size game he has roaming his land. Thanks Gareth for the idea and the link. Thanks everyone else for chiming in with your ideas.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 01:35:31 PM
Here's another that seems to have a good throw for it's size: http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-EA2-Explorer-Flashlight-NITECORE-EA2/dp/B008DZ0OF0  A lot cheaper too. ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 02:50:58 PM
I'll be spending a pretty penny on my little boy this year, so that price would be a lot better. Thanks once again Gareth! Now if I can just stop finding things for myself. I bought a Maratac AA rev. 3 last night.  :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%