Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surge- small screwdriver mod 4329

Full Member Posts: 176
Surge- small screwdriver mod
« on: November 13, 2013, 01:02:24 AM »
My Surge is currently on back order with REI and I'm thinking about possible mods when I get it.
Eye glass screwdriver was usefull but rather akward implement on such big MT. My problem is they replaced it with something quite hmm, useless. Bit driver takes care of most screws so I have been contemplating what to do with it.
At first I was thinking about regrinding it in to a package opener as I open a lot of boxes in my line of work. But that idea died when I realized that the can opener with a sharpened tip would be much better at it.

So currently I want to shape the tip in to a 2D phillips driver - Squirt style. That way I will have microish flat driver and something that can reach those recessed in to the plastic phillips screws.

What are your thoughts/plans/ideas?
Full Member Posts: 107
Re: Surge- small screwdriver mod
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 06:34:13 AM »
I'm on the other side of the fence, looking at the same issue though. I LOVE the smaller bit driver and was disappointed when I found out it was removed from the new Surge.

It was almost the perfect MT (for me), if they just would have stopped after modding the blade holder and adding the replaceable wire cutters.

I use the small bit for replacing watch batteries, small electronics, unlocking zip-ties (instead of cutting them) and it makes a good toothpick when the plastic SAK pick isn't cutting it.

So yeah, in a nutshell, I will be looking to ditch the extra flat blade and reinstalling a small bit driver. Hopefully I can find one here, as I don't want to canabalize any of my other LM's.  :(
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,546 Tool Carrying Linux User
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 06:39:55 AM »
well, then the solution is obvious!

BigMatt, trade your small bit driver from the old Surge, to Craiger for the small flat blade that he gets in the New Surge.

:ahhh

everybody is happy!

If I can help, let me know 
Full Member Posts: 107
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 06:27:54 AM »
That would work for me! If not, I can just post an ad in the "Wanted" section. I'm sure someone has one kicking around.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,181 I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 08:34:47 AM »
I'm wondering why LM hasn't come out with a combo driver yet. One that could hold the flat bits and the small eyeglass type or better yet make an adapter to fit in the current bit driver to put small screwdrivers in :think: That would have to be a very small hole though.

*edit-

KNOCK KNOCK......... LEATHERMAN............. HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOO?¿¡?!?¿¡?!?¿¡?!?¿¡?!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 08:38:33 AM by stealth007s »

Dear Leatherman......................

Terry
No Life Club Posts: 2,017
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 01:41:59 PM »
Metro did...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
November Goal: $300.00