Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

about the new surge 2013

YIVAN · 80 · 21582

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: about the new surge 2013
Reply #30 on: October 03, 2013, 02:11:56 PM
Wayhey! More dishonest attempts at free upgrades.  ::)

Just as disgusting as the smurfs who buy a piece of crap tool off ebay and send it in for warranty to end up with an as new tool for $10. And folks wonder why Leatherman are focussing their efforts into one piece tools to try and stay alive.  >:(

Don't forget that people actually make videos and post them on Youtube about doing that.
Then you factor in the loss inflicted by their local representatives around the world screwing up and folks at LM should really get paranoid. No wonder that now we have rumors and reports of people getting bad service or no service

Agreed. It seems some people really try hard to screw over the company they claim they are fans of. It seems to be an escalating trend too as more and more people consider it fair game and even an entitlement to abuse the warranty. No doubt when it becomes unsustainable and the company is eventually forced to drop the products, it'll be blamed on bad management rather than a growing social trend towards ripping off manufacturers  ::)

If a tool breaks when it shouldn't, I'll send it in - if I break it through misuse or buy something that is already wrecked, that's my responsibility not the manufacturer's. My morals wouldn't let me defraud the manufacturers that way, but some folks seem to have no problem with that at all, nor the fact they are putting people's livelihoods at stake doing it

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: October 03, 2013, 02:17:17 PM
Exactly. Although it is sad that a company doesn't outright try to see who is trying to scam them since people who are genuinely sending tools for warranty get screwed over and no one bats an eye. Actually that is a big reason why I am not a fan of LM
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #32 on: October 03, 2013, 03:21:59 PM
I don't care why the tool broke, I'm sending it in because I paid for 2-3 of'em when I purchased it  :rant:
SAW

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #33 on: October 03, 2013, 04:19:45 PM
If you thought it was two or three times the price it should have been, why buy it in the first place?  ::) It doesn't mean you're entitled to free tools, or make having the paying for other peoples neglect an honest thing to do. That's like saying to think Mercedes cars are overpriced but you're going to buy one because you're entitled to a couple of free ones in case you crash it or fail to maintain it, or you should get a couple of spare iphones in case you drop one.

If you buy one - that's exactly what you are entitled to ... ONE! If you think it's overpriced - don't buy it!

If someone claims for something they are not entitled to, whether the organisation honours they claim or not - it's dishonest. It doesn't matter if it's a $10 junker off ebay, or a result of abuse/misuse. The honest thing to do is man up to the fact you bought a pile of crap (and deal with the seller if appropriate), or accept the tool broke as a result of the operator not the manufacturer, and either fix it yourself or buy another. Anything else is wrong. I don't give a crap whether you call it fraud, theft, or just warranty abuse - it's deceitful, and it's hurting both the company and it's employees/agents regardless of how you try and justify it to yourself.

This is not just all angled at you Steve, I know there's a growing social trend towards these fraudulent claims, but I am quite surprised and disappointed that you seem to think it's acceptable to rip people off like that

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline sawman

Reply #34 on: October 03, 2013, 04:50:09 PM
Who's ripping off who...  ???
SAW

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #35 on: October 03, 2013, 07:35:11 PM
Although it seems the sentiments are aimed at the social trend as opposed to an individual, I should say that metsfan is certainly not one who takes advantage of Leatherman's warranty, or the warranty service of any other manufacturer for that matter. Having known him many years and knowing his affinity for Leatherman and propensity to spend a lot of money on them just to have them around, the picture being portrayed just doesn't fit his profile. He doesn't attempt to get free upgrades at all, and if a tool is released that he or I like, we buy it outright and more often than not we buy local.

Both he and I appreciate and respect the warranties of good companies, namely LM, Vic, and Kai. While it's not Leatherman, we both have a fairly close relationship with some people Kershaw/ZT/Kai and some of our chit chats are about people who abuse the warranty departments. Our sentiments towards that kind of behavior isn't positive, and it seems that some jest is putting about a different image than I feel is real.

That being said, I have been told by people at Leatherman (both at trade shows and over the phone) that they are happy to repair or replace a tool that breaks for whatever reason. When the answer to warranty questions is the same across different employees, I take that as how to treat it. If my Charge breaks for whatever reason, they tell me to send it in and they take care of it however they see fit. That's as far as I'm willing to think about it, and I don't see a reason to feel bad about that.

As for upgraded models, metsfan has had his broken Charge TTi replaced with one of the newer scales after sending it in for repair. It wasn't a desired outcome, as I remember him not liking the new design at all.

On the topic of the Surge, I think the ST300 pliers are ugly and not precise enough for me, so I'm not interested anyway.
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #36 on: October 03, 2013, 08:13:48 PM
I agree with both of you guys but I agree with the new guy more. Sorry, Al. :P

While I hate seeing people buying broken tools off of eBay just to send them in to LM for a new tool this isn't the case here. metsfan already has a Surge, his own. And we don't know in what shape the thing is. Maybe something is broken on it and he's just wishing he'd get a new style if he sends it in. I see nothing wrong with that. If I buy a drill and it breaks after 2 and a half years of use and it has a 3 years warranty, I'll take it in for warranty work. If it can't get fixed, I'll expect a new one. Same goes for a fridge, washing machine, car, cell phone, ... After all I paid for the security the warranty brings. Would you buy a drill that didn't come with warranty? I wouldn't. If I drive over it with my car or drop it down a shaft I'll buy a new one though. ;)

If a tool fails at a job it was designed to do sending it in is a sure thing. Abusing the warranty on the other hand isn't. I agree with Al that there is a trend online where people do so regretfully. We don't see kindly to that here though.  I think the point Steve was trying to make is that the price of a warranty return is calculated into the initial price of a Leatherman, Swisstool, ... I'm sure bending steel for handles and punching out blades and sharpening them doesn't cost $60+. But that doesn't mean we should exploit the honest service Leatherman and other manufacturers provide for us and only use it if the tool actually fails at it's designed job.

Just my 2 cents, pennies, eurocents, lipas, fillers, ... :D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 08:16:33 PM by enki_ck »

us Offline sawman

Reply #37 on: October 03, 2013, 08:37:04 PM
I agree with both of you guys but I agree with the new guy more. Sorry, Al. :P

While I hate seeing people buying broken tools off of eBay just to send them in to LM for a new tool this isn't the case here. metsfan already has a Surge, his own. And we don't know in what shape the thing is. Maybe something is broken on it and he's just wishing he'd get a new style if he sends it in. I see nothing wrong with that. If I buy a drill and it breaks after 2 and a half years of use and it has a 3 years warranty, I'll take it in for warranty work. If it can't get fixed, I'll expect a new one. Same goes for a fridge, washing machine, car, cell phone, ... After all I paid for the security the warranty brings. Would you buy a drill that didn't come with warranty? I wouldn't. If I drive over it with my car or drop it down a shaft I'll buy a new one though. ;)

If a tool fails at a job it was designed to do sending it in is a sure thing. Abusing the warranty on the other hand isn't. I agree with Al that there is a trend online where people do so regretfully. We don't see kindly to that here though.  I think the point Steve was trying to make is that the price of a warranty return is calculated into the initial price of a Leatherman, Swisstool, ... I'm sure bending steel for handles and punching out blades and sharpening them doesn't cost $60+. But that doesn't mean we should exploit the honest service Leatherman and other manufacturers provide for us and only use it if the tool actually fails at it's designed job.

Just my 2 cents, pennies, eurocents, lipas, fillers, ... :D
I agree. I just don't consider it fraud to take full advantage of a warranty. LM happens to offer one of the best in the industry and I feel that is part of the overall inflated cost of their products.  :tu:
SAW

00 Offline Kukamunga

• drool, *drool* for cool multitoolz
Reply #38 on: October 03, 2013, 09:02:58 PM
So is my head out of the noose here on this moral issue?  Or do I need to send LM apx 100 hand written 'I will never vicariously take part in Warranty Fraud''s??   :P  Or is the preference a kind of stand in the corner 'Blair Witch' thing?

Am I clean?  I feel clean.  Well, relatively.   :D
...nothing in his pockets but knives and lint...

hr Offline styx

Reply #39 on: October 03, 2013, 09:36:21 PM
You're in the clear. Don't worry LM warranty department doesn't have a clean slate when it comes to how they handle some things
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #40 on: October 03, 2013, 10:23:43 PM
HAVE THEY COME OUT YET?
Leatherman

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #41 on: October 03, 2013, 10:37:04 PM

HAVE THEY COME OUT YET?
Check your CapsLock..

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #42 on: October 03, 2013, 11:26:42 PM
You're in the clear. Don't worry LM warranty department doesn't have a clean slate when it comes to how they handle some things

I thank thee.  Well, I know when I sent in my MUT...eh, maybe a year ago...it took them about 2-3 months before I saw a replacement.  All I'd heard previously was turn-arounds within a week, possibly two.  Uh, no.  Still, they did come through.  OK - well, they sent it back without the belt clip.  Then they came through with that.  And that was that!   ;)

One would suppose that's not their biggest issue.  At any rate, I cracked on with the MUT regardless.

us Offline metsfan

Reply #43 on: October 04, 2013, 01:34:49 AM
Well to clear this up...

I currently own 2 Surges...it was 3 but I lost one at work.  My oldest one reads 0806.

Leatherman is a company that I love.  Period.  Scamming them doesn't even compute to me.

I've sent in a Surge at least 10 times over the past few years.  All for legitimate issues.  Broken parts, damage through use but none of it has been intentional.  I know I'm not scamming them and that's all that really matters.  And the surge I use just got back from warranty actually, a week ago in fact.  Why?  The torx screw by the scissors side pliers base loosened on its own and the scissors came apart.  Sent it in and they gave me new scissors.  Now eventually I'll send in a surge and I'll get the newer model...I don't think that's scamming LM at all.

Anyway, I thank sticktodrum for speaking to my character.  I've loved LM for way too long to screw them over.

Oh and here's proof of how much I love them...

So let's get back to talking on how excited we are for the new surge!
:)

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #44 on: October 04, 2013, 07:23:34 PM
So let's get back to talking on how excited we are for the new surge! :)

Hooray!   :D

I've also got a Genus now, two Juice XE6's, and just bought a second MUT off of [everyone's favorite] eBay.  The last bought out of sheer frustration playing the New Surge Waiting Game [coming to a town near youuuuu...].  So, I suppose you could say I'm an LM fan as well.   :salute:
LM STUFF II.jpg
* LM STUFF II.jpg (Filesize: 380.43 KB)

Offline BassClefJeff84

Reply #45 on: October 04, 2013, 09:37:34 PM
I should be getting my surge back from warranty on Tuesday or Wednesday as it just shipped yesterday.  Couple broken parts over the 3 years I carried and used it everyday.  I bought a super tool to replace it on the belt a few weeks ago and I think I'll stick with it because I like the spread of tools on it a lot better. That, and I kinda "retired" the surge because it is the camo one from gander mountain and has a lot of sentimental value.  I'll post a good pic or two when it gets back from warranty. I think it is a beautifully worn and weathered tool that will still be perfectly capable but I think the bookshelf or chest will be a good place to retire it for many years until I decide to pass it on to a deserving person that would keep it in good service for many more years.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

uploadfromtaptalk1380915441938.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1380915441938.jpg (Filesize: 57.6 KB)

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #46 on: October 12, 2013, 08:19:48 PM
I stumbled upon this article and thenm I remebered this forum post. Here it is:
http://toolguyd.com/leatherman-surge-multi-tool-2013/
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #47 on: October 12, 2013, 08:45:15 PM
On the same page I also saw this link of the Leatherman trade show expo.

What you guys are saying is shown here. Even the new blade changer - that it will be alble to accept thinner than standard blades. They said around August time.

I am just wondering. Someone (Was it Evil? Maybe someone else - I cannot remember) modded a Surge by adding the ST300 head. But the cam safety pins had to be removed because the Surge could not closed completely. So I guess They have modified it a bit or made the in handle tools narrower. Anyway I think the new Surge will kick butt.
Regards
Johan

LEATHERMAN: Charge TTi; Super Tool 300; Surge; Pulse; Squirt P4; Micra; MUT STD; Bit Adapter; Universal Bit Adapter; Bit Extender; Leatherman Bit Kit; SOG: Powerlock (S60); Pocket PowerPlier (S44-N); Paratool (S31-N); CrossCut (CC51-CP); Rebar.
Lightsaver LS805 Commando; LED P7 & P5 (EDC); Maratac AAA (EDC Backup); Maglite Solitaire LED.
Cold Steel Lawman; Cudeman 8" & 10" Bowie. 4 Joseph Rogers, 4 Opinel; Buck 110 & 112 & 503.
www.johancrous.co.za

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #48 on: October 13, 2013, 10:00:02 AM

What you guys are saying is shown here. Even the new blade changer - that it will be alble to accept thinner than standard blades. They said around August time.

I am just wondering. Someone (Was it Evil? Maybe someone else - I cannot remember) modded a Surge by adding the ST300 head. But the cam safety pins had to be removed because the Surge could not closed completely. So I guess They have modified it a bit or made the in handle tools narrower. Anyway I think the new Surge will kick butt.

Maybe Evil did it, too, but I'm positive Metro did it  :whistle:  Even made a bluntnose version of it, too, if I'm right... Or was that a Wave? :think:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

za Offline Jors

• Johan Crous
Reply #49 on: October 13, 2013, 07:40:25 PM
Here is the new blade changer. I wonder if that will fit in the Charge. If I just could figure out how it is working, maybe I will be able to make one that will fit into the Charge TTi / Wave:

In the second photograph there is something new added. I assume it is a tensioner for when you add a jigsaw blade that is thinner than those of the Surge. Well designed.
I think this new one may bee too thick for the charge, but I may be wrong.
But I am right now too lazy to dug out my first generation Surge to measure.
Regards
Johan

www.johancrous.co.za

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #50 on: October 13, 2013, 10:51:51 PM

Maybe Evil did it, too, but I'm positive Metro did it  :whistle:  Even made a bluntnose version of it, too, if I'm right... Or was that a Wave? :think:

Didn't Baja do it too?  Is it Baja820 or some moniker like that?  Memory doesn't really serve, right?   :P  I believe he took SuperTool a plier head and put it on an existing Surge.  Also a grad A polisher and has a tremendous singing voice.  Eh, no - perhaps the latter is someone else.

At any rate...so, will LM announce tomorrow??  Aren't Mondays the big announcment day in LMland?  Or, perhaps next year, eh?  Thffffpppppt!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: October 13, 2013, 11:20:20 PM
Evil was the first to do the Surge/ST300 swap and Metro did the first Wave/Rebar swap a couple of years later.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #52 on: October 14, 2013, 05:11:21 AM
Evil was the first to do the Surge/ST300 swap and Metro did the first Wave/Rebar swap a couple of years later.

I believe DaveK was the first to post pics of the head swap here Oct 2009, then evil510 with the handles closed June 2010, followed by Metropolicity Oct 2011 and myself Dec 2011.

Re the Wave/Rebar, Metro created The Black Tide May 2012 and then blunted the Rebar head June 2012.

My Surge/ST300 went to the blunt side a year later in June 2013. I can't remember so Metro will have to confirm when he blunted the ST300 head.

Helpin with wrappin in the truck outside the post office earlier this morning.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: October 14, 2013, 12:33:31 PM
Thanks for checking the dates. :cheers:

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #54 on: October 19, 2013, 12:33:04 AM
So...with friends in low places, I found out you can get the new Surge [BO only it seems] at Moontrail:

http://www.moontrail.com/home.php?cat=375

They've listed it as "Surge (black)" - as opposed to "Surge (black) 2012"

Btw, per LM's Facebook page, perhaps some of you have noticed someone posting there from Vietnam with the new Surge [SS] in new packaging.  Interesting.  Anyway, evidently it's finally going to happennnnnnnnnnnn...here in the good 'ol USA.

Have fun.   >:D :angel: :cheers:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: October 19, 2013, 12:46:16 AM
This one?

So hopefully we'll be seeing them soon now. :cheers:

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #56 on: October 19, 2013, 02:20:37 AM
This one?

(Image removed from quote.)

Yessssss sir - that one.  To be fair, I believe the post may have included some thanks to Tim Leatherman proper, but what does that mean?  Perhaps he dropped in to Vietnam exclusively to keep international relations copasetic over there.   :D  Hooray!  Glad Vietnam got it first.  Flipping 'A'!   :P

But still - cheers; mine's coming Wednesday.   :cheers:  Better  be good...

I've already got a real covert mission all scoped out and ready to go.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #57 on: October 19, 2013, 02:39:25 AM
This one?

(Image removed from quote.)

THE NEW SURGE!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:
They're not in Canada yet. I have an excuse to buy one because I don't have any HD MTs.
Even if I don't need one it looks awesome!!! They should have a full sized version of this.
Leatherman

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #58 on: October 19, 2013, 04:50:00 AM
Yessssss sir - that one.  To be fair, I believe the post may have included some thanks to Tim Leatherman proper, but what does that mean?  Perhaps he dropped in to Vietnam exclusively to keep international relations copasetic over there.   :D  Hooray!  Glad Vietnam got it first.  Flipping 'A'!   :P

But still - cheers; mine's coming Wednesday.   :cheers:  Better  be good...

I've already got a real covert mission all scoped out and ready to go.

Tim has been traveling the world lately as some of our members here can vouch for with their signed LMs and pics with him. Russia and Norway are the two that come to mind to me.
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

gb Offline BigMatt

Reply #59 on: October 19, 2013, 11:16:44 AM
FINALLY something is moving.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30