Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kids talking about joining military service,,

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Kids talking about joining military service,,
Reply #90 on: July 01, 2017, 03:28:10 AM
Good stuff. If I were him I would try to learn a trade which can be easily transferred to the civilian world.
He's thinking law enforcement, better yet k9 division.. thus, after serving can transfer into police or something of that nature..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #91 on: July 01, 2017, 03:33:40 AM
Good stuff. If I were him I would try to learn a trade which can be easily transferred to the civilian world.
He's thinking law enforcement, better yet k9 division.. thus, after serving can transfer into police or something of that nature..
JR

Cool. I was thinking more engineering/avionics but he may not have any interest in that sort of thing... it's surprising how many facets there are to the Air Force.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #92 on: July 01, 2017, 03:58:03 AM
JR

Cool. I was thinking more engineering/avionics but he may not have any interest in that sort of thing... it's surprising how many facets there are to the Air Force.
You just never know, as a special class that he took through school he took construction(the basics of carpentry, roofing, and other stuff) he did very well and liked it, the other was auto-mechanics, which he might take this year coming up, idk. It's kinda as if he's trying to out weigh the other to fig out which way to go, trying to fig what's going to be better in the long run.. yet also likes the k9 law, so this years going to be a rough one!
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #93 on: July 01, 2017, 02:21:08 PM
Canine is a rough way to go.  Dogs are only "good" for a few years at best, and it is hard to retire them.  Many officers will transfer to another division when the dog needs to retire since the idea of giving up a partner and pet at the same time is difficult, especially if replacing it with a new one.  The older dog often has problems suddenly being left behind and replaced by a younger dog.

And it's all even worse if/when the dog is injured (or worse) in the line of duty. 

Canine seems great on TV and in movies, but it really does take its toll on a person.  Having a holster ed attack dog is perhaps the most bad ass thing you can do, but they wear out quickly, and even in their prime you worry terribly every time they are deployed.

I was a canine officer in my early days and I worked with kennel dogs and my own dogs and they all had their own challenges. 

But, if he wants to do it then by all means, go for it.  It is a very good feeling to know that no matter what, your partner ALWAYS has your back, cannot be corrupted and will never be distracted when he's needed.

And, even better, it's totally ok if he sleeps with your wife, which isn't something that can be said about human partners!   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #94 on: July 01, 2017, 05:33:49 PM
Canine is a rough way to go.  Dogs are only "good" for a few years at best, and it is hard to retire them.  Many officers will transfer to another division when the dog needs to retire since the idea of giving up a partner and pet at the same time is difficult, especially if replacing it with a new one.  The older dog often has problems suddenly being left behind and replaced by a younger dog.

And it's all even worse if/when the dog is injured (or worse) in the line of duty. 

Canine seems great on TV and in movies, but it really does take its toll on a person.  Having a holster ed attack dog is perhaps the most bad ass thing you can do, but they wear out quickly, and even in their prime you worry terribly every time they are deployed.

I was a canine officer in my early days and I worked with kennel dogs and my own dogs and they all had their own challenges. 

But, if he wants to do it then by all means, go for it.  It is a very good feeling to know that no matter what, your partner ALWAYS has your back, cannot be corrupted and will never be distracted when he's needed.

And, even better, it's totally ok if he sleeps with your wife, which isn't something that can be said about human partners!   :ahhh

Def
I don't think that's one thing the kids really thought of, I think he's just looking at the bright side, we've only "really" lost one pet and that took a big hit at home. Yet every pet we have had always went to the wife, the one dog we had was funny, I could not even touch the wife with one finger and she could go "ouch" and he'd start attacking me, yet she could start slapping me, "ouch" and he'd still come after me!
  The kid wants a dog of his own, first of no, not only do I have to pay for the dog, "he says he will" but then I have to pay for all vet stuff then $300 to get him on record for where we live "I'll give you the $$" but then another $30 a month for rent. But he thinks it's going to be his dog, since he's going to take care of it, it's going to keep go to him, lol, um no. Who's going to care for it while he's at school, then at work? But I would come home in between and do everything, yeah right, both me and the wife would get stuck. And since we'd be caring for it more it's going to start going to us for everything.. then he'd get mad, stop caring for it and it's now ours.
    So now he's thinking being a military dog and totally cared for by him, it's "his"? So are you saying they only get sent out once or twice into service? And would be left home after so long?
JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%