Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tool Uses?

Offline toollearner

Tool Uses?
on: May 08, 2008, 03:30:22 AM
I just got my multitool in the mail today and since it's my first one (and I don't often use these type of tools), I wanted to ask you guys what the following tools are used for:

Reamer
Wire Scraper

And for those of you who know the Victorinox SwissTool RS, where is the Wire Crimper? The manual points to the very top of the left handle but I'm not sure how to access it. Thanks!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Re: Tool Uses?
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 03:44:18 AM
The reamer/awl is used for poking holes mainly...in plastic, cardboard, etc.  You can also "drill" it into  wood to make a dent before you drive a screw.

The wire scraper is just that...a wire scraper!  Use it to take the insulation off wire.  I use the wire cutters to cut the insulation, but some prefer that scraper tool.

The crimpers are actually the reverse of the plier heads...under that main plier pivot you'll see both halves of the metal come together when you close the tool...put the thing to be crimped between those two parts and squeexe.
[

Offline toollearner

Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 04:08:30 AM
The reamer/awl is used for poking holes mainly...in plastic, cardboard, etc.  You can also "drill" it into  wood to make a dent before you drive a screw.

The wire scraper is just that...a wire scraper!  Use it to take the insulation off wire.  I use the wire cutters to cut the insulation, but some prefer that scraper tool.

The crimpers are actually the reverse of the plier heads...under that main plier pivot you'll see both halves of the metal come together when you close the tool...put the thing to be crimped between those two parts and squeexe.

Thanks for the explanations. Oh that "wire scraper" confused me because it also says that there is a "wire stripper" which I thought was for taking off the insulation. Is it just another way to do it?

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 06:34:40 AM
are the wire scrapper and stripper two seperate things?

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 06:40:28 AM
Welcome to the forums toollearner,and hope you enjoy your MT as much as the rest of us do.

Offline toollearner

Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 07:56:03 AM
Yeah they are listed as two separate things.  ???

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 08:29:14 PM
In all honesty, I would say the SwissTool doesn't have a crimper. I strongly believe that Vic was trying to add another function. You could crimp just as well with the pliers!
B

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD