Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Most interesting unanticipated use

Offline FredKJ

Most interesting unanticipated use
on: May 08, 2008, 07:20:18 PM
Here's something I was curious about everyone's experiences.  Multipliers and SAKS have many tools on them designed for specific purposes.  Often we find a use they were never intended for.  So what is you most interesting unintended use for an impliment?  I know because of the angled design of the blade on my can opener on my Wenger being short and strong it works well for opening clam shell packages and ripping open boxes.

Offline Hoghead

Re: Most interesting unanticipated use
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 08:03:10 PM
A ex-navy diver that I was working with used his PST pliers as a fork.

We were traveling over the road on the engine of a freight train. He pulled his lunch out of a cooler and mentioned that he didn't have a fork or spoon. I offered a spoon, but he declined and said he would just use his Leatherman. I told him the spoon was clean but he refused again.

He pulled out a old PST opened the pliers and used it like a fork to eat his lunch. It looked like he had done it before because he was pretty good at it. I wonder if it was a trick he learned in the navy.

This was a few years ago and no I haven't tried it. I tend to think of eating motor oil when I think of eating off a multitool. I don't use motor oil on my EDC Charge, so it's just a mental image. I guess I would try it if I was desperate, but I'm always prepared so it's not going to happen.

Offline FredKJ

Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 08:35:24 PM

We were traveling over the road on the engine of a freight train. He pulled his lunch out of a cooler and mentioned that he didn't have a fork or spoon. I offered a spoon, but he declined and said he would just use his Leatherman. I told him the spoon was clean but he refused again.

He pulled out a old PST opened the pliers and used it like a fork to eat his lunch. It looked like he had done it before because he was pretty good at it. I wonder if it was a trick he learned in the navy.

This was a few years ago and no I haven't tried it. I tend to think of eating motor oil when I think of eating off a multitool. I don't use motor oil on my EDC Charge, so it's just a mental image. I guess I would try it if I was desperate, but I'm always prepared so it's not going to happen.

Sounds like chopsticks.  Hope he doesn't use it to fix his toilet plumbing as well.

Offline Hoghead

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 09:57:05 PM

Sounds like chopsticks.  Hope he doesn't use it to fix his toilet plumbing as well.

He ate with the pliers in the closed position, as if he were holding a grain of salt in the pliers while eating.

I assume he used it for everything just like the rest of us, except he also used his for a eating utensil.

I did like that he was thinking outside the box.   :salute:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 10:04:56 PM
I've never thought of using an MT for eating before :o

Oddest use I've had was using the can openner and bottle opener on a Camper as an improptu wallet!, a mate of mine had given me a ten pound note, but I didn't have my wallet on me so I folded the note and used the openers to hold the note in place between the liners :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 10:13:38 PM
I use the LM can opener the other day to clean between the planks so that I could waterproof the deck,I've never used it to open a can after 25 yrs.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 10:24:29 PM
Using my SURGE as a hammer! But, Vic tools aren't like that.. They try to fit as many functions onto one implement..
B

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 02:49:08 AM
I use the awl of my Supertool as tooth pick.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 02:05:05 PM
I use the awl of my Supertool as tooth pick.

I use the one on my SI for that too.  :D

Probably not a good idea though. :-\
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79