Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Suggest my next Leatherman

gdc · 37 · 3236

Offline gdc

Suggest my next Leatherman
on: September 17, 2013, 04:12:55 PM
Hi all:

I am a long-time LM user and I got ahold of a Leatherman TTi this year.  Main attractions were the blades accessible w/o opening the pliers and the premium blade steel.  It is a great tool but it is really heavy.  I don't need the saw or the file.  I find that carrying it with the pocket clip pulls my pants down.  Even in a backpack (small one I take mountain biking) its weight is notable as compared to my SOG Paratool.  The paratool has its own limitations, of course. 

I had previously looked at the Skeletool but was not impressed with the knife blade.

I will keep the TTi for my daily kit bag--it is a great tool--but I was wondering if any of you LM gurus have suggestions.  I am not an expert on their whole line.

Thanks,

us Offline Shotgundoug13

Re: Suggest my next Leatherman
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 04:16:45 PM
Surge or OHT
Leatherman tools: Surge, Kick, Freestyle, Wingman, Style CS, C33LX, REBAR, OHT, Supertool 300, Wave
Victorinox tools: Alox Farmer, Classic SD
Gerber tools: Flik

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 05:06:43 PM
If the tti is too heavy for you, have a look at the Juice-series. The S2 is a good option if you're okay with it's limited toolset.

Also take a look at the Gerber Balance. Loved by quite a lot of people here on the forum, it has about the same toolset of the Juice S2, but in a very different form.

I'm not sure what you don't like of the Skeletool's blade, personally, I like it a lot, though I'd prefer the CX's one.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 05:22:13 PM
Surge or OHT 

:rofl:  (seeing as the OP finds a TTi too heavy).

If you can live without outside opening tools and premium steel blade maybe a LM PST (or PST II if you want scissors), then maybe go the modding/swapping route to get exactly the tools you want.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 05:23:52 PM
Now we're talking modding, you could also try the 'slim charge'. I think Metropolicity once made one, took off the saw and file "layer" leaving you with two knife-blades.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 06:02:07 PM
If you can give up the outside opening blades, the REBAR is a great choice. It's small, light weight and has all the tools minus scissors.  :tu:
SAW

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 06:23:02 PM
If the tti is too heavy for you, have a look at the Juice-series. The S2 is a good option if you're okay with it's limited toolset.

Also take a look at the Gerber Balance. Loved by quite a lot of people here on the forum, it has about the same toolset of the Juice S2, but in a very different form.

I'm not sure what you don't like of the Skeletool's blade, personally, I like it a lot, though I'd prefer the CX's one.

:tu: Good suggestions  :) Also, check out the Buck X-Tract Fin, Gerber MP400 or possibly even a LM Wingman

Some of these suggestions I really like, others don't work for me but might work for you

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 06:50:05 PM
From what you have said in the OP you want:

Outside opening blade
good steel
pocket clip (?)
lightweight

With all that in mind I'd suggest.......:think:.......give me a sec.......nope I've got nothing. :shrug:

It's the high grade steel that's a real problem, basically the LM Charge is just about the only game in town if that's a must.  A few I'd suggest you look at are the LM Wingman, Sidekick, Juice S2 and the Gerber Octane.  But I STRONGLY suggest you go and have a physical look and play with them in a store, all of these tools have their fair share of fans and detractors, enough that I couldn't suggest them in good faith without mentioning it.

Best of luck. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 07:28:11 PM
Now we're talking modding, you could also try the 'slim charge'. I think Metropolicity once made one, took off the saw and file "layer" leaving you with two knife-blades.

Here's a link to the 'skinny Charge' ;)

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,38807.0.html

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 07:31:22 PM

Outside opening blade
good steel
pocket clip (?)
lightweight

With all that in mind I'd suggest.......:think:.......give me a sec.......nope I've got nothing. :shrug:

It's the high grade steel that's a real problem, basically the LM Charge is just about the only game in town if that's a must.  A few I'd suggest you look at are the LM Wingman, Sidekick, Juice S2 and the Gerber Octane.  But I STRONGLY suggest you go and have a physical look and play with them in a store, all of these tools have their fair share of fans and detractors, enough that I couldn't suggest them in good faith without mentioning it.

The Skeletool CX meets all those requirements. The 154CM steel that Leatherman uses for their blades is excellent. It may not have quite the same edge retention as S30V, but it's easier to sharpen.  :)

gdc -- you mentioned that you didn't like the Skeletool's blade. Are you referring to the combo edge blade made of 420HC steel on the "regular" version of the Skeletool? Or was there something you didn't like about the 154CM plain edge blade on the CX version?

I love my Skeletool CX, in case it wasn't clear.  :D

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 07:34:35 PM

Outside opening blade
good steel
pocket clip (?)
lightweight

With all that in mind I'd suggest....... :think: .......give me a sec.......nope I've got nothing. :shrug:

The Skeletool CX meets all those requirements. The 154CM steel that Leatherman uses for their blades is excellent. It may not have quite the same edge retention as S30V, but it's easier to sharpen.  :)

gdc -- you mentioned that you didn't like the Skeletool's blade. Are you referring to the combo edge blade made of 420HC steel on the "regular" version of the Skeletool? Or was there something you didn't like about the 154CM plain edge blade on the CX version?

Oh, how would I love one of those... :dd:

us Offline Shotgundoug13

Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 09:21:45 PM

Surge or OHT 

:rofl:  (seeing as the OP finds a TTi too heavy).

If you can live without outside opening tools and premium steel blade maybe a LM PST (or PST II if you want scissors), then maybe go the modding/swapping route to get exactly the tools you want.
My fingers got ahead of eyes. I would recommend a Wingman for outside opening tools. PST is a great option too.
Leatherman tools: Surge, Kick, Freestyle, Wingman, Style CS, C33LX, REBAR, OHT, Supertool 300, Wave
Victorinox tools: Alox Farmer, Classic SD
Gerber tools: Flik

gb Offline Philby

Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 09:33:59 PM
Go old school, get a PST or PSTII.  I carry my PSTII everywhere, for me it's the only serviceable multitool that's small enough for a pocket. 

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 11:08:53 PM
If you want a light and compact tool, you should go with either the Juice S2 or the Juice CS4.
Leatherman

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 03:18:54 AM
i guess the real dilemma seems to be do you NEED pliers or blade? it sounds like blade is more important so the skele cx is a great balance of 154cm blade and a good set of pliers plus the bit.  i have the regular ss skele and love it, i also just got a paratool and because size wise its very near the skele i love it too.  skele has more carry options vs paratool and you mention mountain bike so you can always use the carabnier to attach it to your pack. 

ive always wondered why not just get a great main blade for those who demand high end steels and a simple yet effective MT for everything else.  light main blade option seems easier then pair it with a juice. how about a spyderco native CPM s30v at under 3oz and a LM juice s2 both nearly the same weight as the paratool or skeletool?     
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 10:25:17 AM
i guess the real dilemma seems to be do you NEED pliers or blade? it sounds like blade is more important so the skele cx is a great balance of 154cm blade and a good set of pliers plus the bit.  i have the regular ss skele and love it, i also just got a paratool and because size wise its very near the skele i love it too.  skele has more carry options vs paratool and you mention mountain bike so you can always use the carabnier to attach it to your pack. 

ive always wondered why not just get a great main blade for those who demand high end steels and a simple yet effective MT for everything else.  light main blade option seems easier then pair it with a juice. how about a spyderco native CPM s30v at under 3oz and a LM juice s2 both nearly the same weight as the paratool or skeletool?     

I think the manufacturers are missing the potential of bladeless multitools in an ever confusing world of changing regulation. It also gives potential for pairing with blade of choice, of which there are thousands of variations on the market

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 11:29:07 AM
I think the manufacturers are missing the potential of bladeless multitools in an ever confusing world of changing regulation. It also gives potential for pairing with blade of choice, of which there are thousands of variations on the market 

The only mainstream  manufacturer that makes it easy for the less-skilled and/or less well-equipped would-be modder is SOG (including Paladin).  They make a wide variety of components that can be swapped (without needing special tools) to suit most people (including bladeless MTs).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 12:32:26 PM

The only mainstream  manufacturer that makes it easy for the less-skilled and/or less well-equipped would-be modder is SOG (including Paladin).  They make a wide variety of components that can be swapped (without needing special tools) to suit most people (including bladeless MTs).

Unfortunately (aside from the pliers) the tools on the SOG tend to be a bit crap :P (which is why I added the file and scissors from a PST II to mine)

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 06:41:54 PM

the Skeletool only weighs 5 oz., and the Juice S2 weighs in at 4.4 oz.  you're going to have a hard time finding a knife/tool pairing that weighs less than the Skele, unless you go to a keychain-size MT and/or a much smaller knife.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 06:55:11 PM

Outside opening blade
good steel
pocket clip (?)
lightweight

You're quite right of course Breezy, but as the PO said they'd tried the Skele and didn't like it I suppose I'd discounted the CX in my mind.  Good catch mate. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 08:42:33 PM
You're quite right of course Breezy, but as the PO said they'd tried the Skele and didn't like it I suppose I'd discounted the CX in my mind.  Good catch mate. :)

Thanks Gareth :)  I certainly can't blame the OP if they are turned off by the CE blade of a regular Skele, but the CX seems like a good fit.

also, the CX is one of my favorite MTs, so I guess I get a little defensive on its behalf sometimes.  :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 12:44:06 AM

the Skeletool only weighs 5 oz., and the Juice S2 weighs in at 4.4 oz.  you're going to have a hard time finding a knife/tool pairing that weighs less than the Skele, unless you go to a keychain-size MT and/or a much smaller knife.

my thinking was along the lines of the OP not liking the Skele and i figured that included the CX too.  at 4.4oz for the Juice S2 and 2.65oz for the FRN Spyderco Native, OP would have needs met for "nearly" same weight as a Skele.  i too feel Skele CX is best choice as i mentioned but again OP didn't care for it.  just my thoughts.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 01:20:17 AM

my thinking was along the lines of the OP not liking the Skele and i figured that included the CX too.  at 4.4oz for the Juice S2 and 2.65oz for the FRN Spyderco Native, OP would have needs met for "nearly" same weight as a Skele.  i too feel Skele CX is best choice as i mentioned but again OP didn't care for it.  just my thoughts.   

don't worry, I understand the point you were trying to make.  :tu:  the OP commented that they didn't like the Skeletool because of the blade, so I was hoping they were referring to the regular version and maybe hadn't considered the CX yet. I was simply trying to point out just how lightweight the Skeletool is in hopes that the OP would consider the CX.  ;)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 01:33:07 AM
it is a great option the Skele CX with good blade steel and slim light weight carry.  i have the SS Skele myself and love it as i don't require more in a blade. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 09:43:00 AM
I must admit I quite like the blade on the Skele .... it's the rest of the tool I can't stand  :rofl:

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 01:51:47 PM
I must admit I quite like the blade on the Skele .... it's the rest of the tool I can't stand  :rofl:

Too bad it's serrated on the normal one...
Leatherman

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 01:55:01 PM

I can put up with that a lot better than the pliers and driver  ;)

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 01:57:47 PM

I can put up with that a lot better than the pliers and driver  ;)

:rofl:
Leatherman

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 05:41:04 PM
I don't think there are many LM options for you in this case, other than the Skeletool like others mentioned.  It also depends on if you need scissors.  I myself am not a fan of the Skele overall, except for the OHO blade.  The pliers and the rest of the tool doesn't do much for me.  The Rebar is a good choice, but it lacks scissors, and has the saw and file, which you said you don't need.  The Juice S2 is good as well, but not OHO.  The PST/PSTII is a good choice if locking tools is not a necessity.  Basically, I'm just echoing the common advice already given by others, but I thought I would chime in anyway ;)  Good luck and let us know what you choose :salute:
K-Tibbs

Offline gdc

Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 11:07:49 PM
Thanks all for the comments.  I love the "skinny charge."  Very cool. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%