Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Detron's review AND observations of his new Swiss Champ!

detron · 58 · 8574

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Detron's review AND observations of his new Swiss Champ!
on: September 18, 2013, 04:17:33 AM
Before I get to it, let me say that I understand the school of thought of minimalist carry,  I want a Victorinox compact pretty badly, however, for the most part, I am a greedy EDC'er.

so here we go.

so my amazon box arrived today, and this was not my only purchase, so it was a good sized box.
inside the box I see my other items and a Victorinox that must be too small.  that's right, in the box, it looked tiny, and I thought I received the wrong thing.    :facepalm:

I should point out that I bought a Super Tinker on a blister, and all of my other purchases before this were from the flea market, and ebay.

now that we have survived the 30 second nightmare we can continue to play with this cool toy.

Common info

This tool has the standard level of excellence you would expect from Victorinox,  The Loup (Magnifying glass) to me is not as nice as the older ones I have, but the function is more than sufficient.

SIZE

OK, yeah this is a big SAK, It is listed as being 33mm wide, as is the Cybertool 41.
BUT, I think it is about 1mm thinner than the CT41.

in the two pictures below, I lined up the blue CT41 and the red Swiss champ, and you can notice that the two SAKs are lined up on one side, and the CT41 sticks out a little further on the other

I know some people are considering the Champion, so I made this visual comparison as well.  In case it matters, my Champion is from the mid 80's.  to my limited knowledge, they newer ones are still the same width.

The Tool Itself

Closed Swiss Champ

Deployed tools  (yeah the phillips is hiding, it has it's own pic following this one)

The Magnifying glass

the magnifying glass does seem cheap compared to the older ones I have, but the functionality seems to be OK

The File

For MT.O users who have both a Supertool 300 and a Rebar, you will understand when I say all of my other SAKs have a file and this new one has a rasp! I feel like one pull across a finger nail would lead to a finger with a bleeding quick

Also, look at the teeth on the saw, super sharp, and it is almost as if it was sharpened in one direction only, and the teeth are almost burrs of furry.

Question for the SAK experts of MT.O

I noticed the liners and dividers on my brand new tool look like they are showing some form of oxidation (looks like chalk on the bottom, top, and ends)
I know it is probably nothing, but thought I would ask.

Final Thoughts

I love it very much, and though I wanted black (red was $16 cheaper) the red looks great and I am very content with the color.

the tool layout is great and though this is a beefy tool, I use a pocket clip hanger and do not mind carrying this (Assumption made on the fact I carried the CT41 for years)

If I discover any other non-standard uses, or further info I think will be useful to the members here, I will add on to this thread.

thank you for reading!  and feel free to correct any that is wrong.

Detron

If I can help, let me know 

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Re: Detron's review AND observations of his new Swiss Champ!
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 04:29:00 AM
Great review  :tu: I'm glad you are pleased with your new Champ  :D
SAW

us Offline detron

Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 04:33:47 AM
I wish I had a DSLR camera, these review pictures would look soo much better.  however not bad for a cell phone.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 04:39:28 AM
the magnifying glass does seem cheap compared to the older ones I have, but the functionality seems to be OK

(...)

I noticed the liners and dividers on my brand new tool look like they are showing some form of oxidation (looks like chalk on the bottom, top, and ends)

Can you see if you got the latest style of the mag glass, that comes in two pieces, glass lens and transparent plastic frame? Or is it the previous new version, one piece clear plastic?

About the question: the newer liners are no longer nicely finished as the older ones used to be. That's what you see there. I'll try to find a photo of mine to show.

:cheers:

us Offline detron

Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 04:44:37 AM

(...)

Can you see if you got the latest style of the mag glass, that comes in two pieces, glass lens and transparent plastic frame? Or is it the previous new version, one piece clear plastic?

About the question: the newer liners are no longer nicely finished as the older ones used to be. That's what you see there. I'll try to find a photo of mine to show.

thanks for explaining about the liners, though that is sad to hear.

as far as the mag glass, I think it is the glass inside of plastic holder, I can spin it inside the holder, and tapping it with a brass pin sounds different on the glass than on the plastic holder.  I am very happy it is not the plastic lens, but I still like the older holder that my mid 80's Champion has.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 05:00:25 AM
That's good, the all plastic one is horrible in my opinion (others like it). And the plastic "lens" part scratches and fogs way too easily. Big deal to have the lens in glass again, even with the same kind of frame.

Here's what I promised. Two Craftsmen, old and new, you can see which one is which:

us Offline detron

Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 05:04:43 AM
That's good, the all plastic one is horrible in my opinion (others like it). And the plastic "lens" part scratches and fogs way too easily. Big deal to have the lens in glass again, even with the same kind of frame.

Here's what I promised. Two Craftsmen, old and new, you can see which one is which:

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks Marius,  and I do agree that they should still polish them the way they use to.  it looked much nicer.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 05:38:35 AM
good job Detron.   too bad about the liners not being finished. im looked at my mag glass on my explorer to see if its glass in plastic or completely plastic and bummer its all plastic, thanks comis for pointing that out.   
Esse Quam Videri

Offline HighlandPark

Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 08:24:06 AM
great pics, detron! thank you for the review.
i understand you bought the swiss champ after having edc'ed the cyber tool 41 for a long time.

just wandering:  :think:
why did you change?

to me basic difference is fish scaler vs. all the bits and this is why i carry the 41.
i swapped the red scales for black ones, too.

cheers! HP

us Offline detron

Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 02:57:05 PM
great pics, detron! thank you for the review.
i understand you bought the swiss champ after having edc'ed the cyber tool 41 for a long time.

just wandering:  :think:
why did you change?

to me basic difference is fish scaler vs. all the bits and this is why i carry the 41.
i swapped the red scales for black ones, too.

cheers! HP

HighlandPark,

all of these enablers around here make me want way more than I need.   they are cool, and I enjoy the hobby as much as the tool itself.

basically, I did not have a swisschamp.  that is the best answer I can give

EDIT
and I can start a fire with a magnifying glass  :tu:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 03:03:41 PM by detron »

us Offline detron

Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 04:56:35 PM
Also to further expound on HighlandParks question, if my CT41 had a magnifying glass, then I would carry it all of the time

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 05:10:04 PM
Excellent review Detron :tu:  I appreciate that comparison pic with the Champion :salute:  It is a fair amount slimmer really.  The SwissChamp is definitely too thick for my liking though, and probably the Champion would be as well since it adds 2 layers to the Ranger, which is thick enough to me.  If I really wanted to simplify and reduce the number of SAKs in my EDC rotation, then I would get the Champion and replace my Yeochamp and Ranger.  Still a bit tempted to get a Champion at some point though :think:
K-Tibbs

us Offline detron

Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 05:15:38 PM
Excellent review Detron :tu:  I appreciate that comparison pic with the Champion :salute:  It is a fair amount slimmer really.  The SwissChamp is definitely too thick for my liking though, and probably the Champion would be as well since it adds 2 layers to the Ranger, which is thick enough to me.  If I really wanted to simplify and reduce the number of SAKs in my EDC rotation, then I would get the Champion and replace my Yeochamp and Ranger.  Still a bit tempted to get a Champion at some point though :think:

Fair points, and Like I said I know there are multiple schools of thought, and none are wrong, they are just different.

the one thing I will say about a Swiss Champ and similar tools is that it can go in a small sheath (OR SKINTH!!!) and be sufficient to leave a leatherman behind (NOT AS AN EVERY DAY PRACTICE).

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 05:20:04 PM
I still love the swiss champ too!

My mind has been mulling over building a fancy one that has all the tools (well probably minus fish scaler) of the swiss champ but slimmer.  If I did Ti scales I wouldn't need the outer liners, and could use thin scales.  I could also replace the soft Al liners with thin Ti that would be half as thick but stronger.  Someday I'll get around to it. :D

Thanks for posting your write up!
Cheers
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline detron

Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 05:33:15 PM

My mind has been mulling over building a fancy one that has all the tools (well probably minus fish scaler) of the swiss champ but slimmer.  If I did Ti scales I wouldn't need the outer liners, and could use thin scales.  I could also replace the soft Al liners with thin Ti that would be half as thick but stronger.  Someday I'll get around to it. :D

Cheers

Syph, since I know you are a mod master, I have a quick question for you.

I know plus scales have a slot for the ball point pen, and looking at translucent scales it looks like I could add a similar slot on the other side.  do you know if this is true or not?  I could store a paracord needle, or pencil lead, or even a match in there.

thanks!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 06:05:20 PM
That would be cool if you could get a Swisschamp to the size of a Champion! :D

Cheers

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 06:07:15 PM
When did this change happen??

[/quote]

[/quote]

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 12:50:49 AM
The liner edges on Vic's vary from batch to batch, and even from time to time IMO. Some of them are clean and neatly pressed out, others are just  :cry:
I have sanded and polished some of my Vics, then polished the liners, but it's a lot of work. And depending on how the liners are aligned with the springs it may be difficult to impossible to complete within a reasonable time.......or SAK disassembly.
That said, I just got a new Compact as a Warranty replacement from Vic, and the liners are about as good as they could be.
YMMV.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 01:28:21 AM

this is my champ plus (left ) and ranger (right ) it is wider for sure but i found it a comfortable carry though we all carry different. 

010.JPG
* 010.JPG (Filesize: 90.07 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 02:45:03 AM
I really don't worry about the liner edges being a bit rough. It's a tool... for cutting etc. Not an art piece.
SAW

us Offline detron

Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 03:23:54 AM
I really don't worry about the liner edges being a bit rough. It's a tool... for cutting etc. Not an art piece.

I agree and dissagree,   it is a tool,  yes, but I seem them as functional art. It will not keep me from buying more,  it just is a little odd since My flea market ones were so Shiney,  then my brand new one was not

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 03:50:55 AM

this is my champ plus (left ) and ranger (right ) it is wider for sure but i found it a comfortable carry though we all carry different. 

Thanks for that pic Aloha :salute:  The Champ really isn't a whole lot thicker when looking at them together like that, but I bet it feels thicker for sure.  I could feel the difference between my Ranger and Yeochamp the first time I held the Ranger, and it's probably only like 1mm thicker ::)  I'm sure it would carry fine with a lanyard belt loop method that I picked up from Colt1911 a while back.  Or a clip, but I don't have a good one yet.  It would actually fit in the same little change pocket in my work pants that I currently use for SAK carry, but it just may seem too bulky of a piece to put in my pocket like that.  You watch though, I'll probably end up with one eventually >:D
K-Tibbs

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 10:22:52 AM
Great, now I can't wait to get myself one...  :bnghd: Soon, very soon... :D

Great review, though :tu:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline detron

Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 03:31:53 PM
Thanks to everyone who read my review,   and thanks to those who were able to answer some of my questions.

People's appreciation makes it easier to invest the time to do a review

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 03:52:24 PM
Yep, nice review mate  :tu: Personally the fish scaler and pliers do nothing for me so I've avoided the urge (several times  :P). I did once get one for a friend though, and he absolutely loves it  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 04:08:04 PM
Also to further expound on HighlandParks question, if my CT41 had a magnifying glass, then I would carry it all of the time

Absolutely this!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 06:11:23 PM
So when did the mag glass change from all plastic to plastic shell with glass mag?

us Offline detron

Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 06:30:59 PM
So when did the mag glass change from all plastic to plastic shell with glass mag?

I am not sure,  but it was not to long ago,   I also would like a time frame on that.    Curiosity has a death grip on me

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 06:44:50 PM

I am not sure,  but it was not to long ago,   I also would like a time frame on that.    Curiosity has a death grip on me

Yeah, the new glass mag glass is part of the reason I'm tempted to get an Explorer again, but there's probably no guarantee it would be a brand new mag glass version, or left over stock of the other plastic version.  The only way to be more sure I suppose, would be to wait a while longer before getting one, which isn't a problem for me right now anyway due to lack of funds.
K-Tibbs

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 07:23:19 PM

Yeah, the new glass mag glass is part of the reason I'm tempted to get an Explorer again, but there's probably no guarantee it would be a brand new mag glass version, or left over stock of the other plastic version.  The only way to be more sure I suppose, would be to wait a while longer before getting one, which isn't a problem for me right now anyway due to lack of funds.

Amazon seems like a safe bet.  Ive bought both explorers and swiss champs from amazon.com (via steve :D ) and they have all had the new glass.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85