Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Detron's review AND observations of his new Swiss Champ!

detron · 58 · 8573

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Re: Detron's review AND observations of his new Swiss Champ!
Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 07:32:40 PM
So when did the mag glass change from all plastic to plastic shell with glass mag?

I am not sure,  but it was not to long ago,   I also would like a time frame on that.    Curiosity has a death grip on me

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, the new glass mag glass is part of the reason I'm tempted to get an Explorer again, but there's probably no guarantee it would be a brand new mag glass version, or left over stock of the other plastic version.  The only way to be more sure I suppose, would be to wait a while longer before getting one, which isn't a problem for me right now anyway due to lack of funds.

Amazon seems like a safe bet.  Ive bought both explorers and swiss champs from amazon.com (via steve :D ) and they have all had the new glass.

Oh that's good to know, thanks Syph :salute:  I only ever see the red scaled version there though, and I want something different I think.  I wouldn't mind onyx scales, and I think I can get one like that on Ebay, but I'm not sure of the mag glass version.  Either way, by the time I may or am able to get one, they may all be glass :)
K-Tibbs

us Offline Donald

Reply #31 on: October 09, 2013, 02:37:55 AM
I enjoyed the illustrated review Detron. Thanks.

Thanks also to Marius for the comparison pics and pointing out that there is a new type of magnifying lens. I had not heard that. Perhaps because I had been "away" with computer problems.

I purchased my SwissChamp from a seller on eBay because it had the old style magnifying lens and the price was right. I thought it had a generic belt pouch, but it turned out that it was actually the standard  Victorinox leather Zermat pouch. Further, the "used" knife was probably in better shape than several new ones I have purchased. I was quite pleased. I posted some pictures in this Swiss Forum thread http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=36629.0

I find it makes an excellent knife to keep around my desk as it always has what I need, scissors, a small blade, pliers for removing a staple when I need to uncurl it rather than use my usual staple remover, etc. It saves opening the drawer to pull out a pair of larger scissors. Further, they seem to get a lot of use cutting off clothing tags for my daughters.

I think this tour de force of the knifemaker's art has been supplanted to some extent by the pliers-centric type of multitool, but I always wanted one, and it is a fine tool. I do recall reading a post by a BSA leader who carried it as part of an SOS pouch kit and felt that he thus always had what he needed to handle troop emergencies. In college (1972-1976) I had a friend who always had on his belt in a Zermatt pouch whatever the equivalent would have been then. (a Champion??)

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #32 on: October 09, 2013, 02:50:56 AM
Did anyone find out about when the mag glass change took effect and does anyone know if the mag power changed also.

I guess I should also wonder if the glass mag glass breaks, can one order one as a replacement??

Just curious but if no one knows, maybe I can email Victorinox customer service and find out. :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #33 on: October 09, 2013, 02:57:48 AM
A few months prior to june this year. Syph007 discovered it in June. I believe the mag glass power staid the same.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,45331

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #34 on: October 09, 2013, 03:09:21 AM
How heavy is the Swisschamp?
Leatherman

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #35 on: October 09, 2013, 03:11:08 AM
about 6.5 ounces
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #36 on: October 09, 2013, 03:54:20 AM
about 6.5 ounces

Even less if you carry it on a P-7 clip in front pocket.  LOL 

It carries very well that way! :D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #37 on: October 09, 2013, 03:58:26 AM
Also to further expound on HighlandParks question, if my CT41 had a magnifying glass, then I would carry it all of the time

To expound on detron's post,  I'm trying to figure out a mod where I could have the driver AND the magnifying glass... :think:

us Offline detron

Reply #38 on: October 09, 2013, 03:59:28 AM
about 6.5 ounces

Even less if you carry it on a P-7 clip in front pocket.  LOL 

It carries very well that way! :D

Ok,   it is plastic,  but the source is cheap!

Air freshener vent clips for the car.

I bought 4 for a dollar.

It is plastic,  but strong enough to hold 2 hammers.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

here is my super cheap clip,  has been working fine for a few months or so

« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 04:04:06 AM by enki_ck »

us Offline detron

Reply #39 on: October 09, 2013, 04:00:17 AM
Also to further expound on HighlandParks question, if my CT41 had a magnifying glass, then I would carry it all of the time

To expound on detron's post,  I'm trying to figure out a mod where I could have the driver AND the magnifying glass... :think:

I would not mind even if it was in the scale and removable!!  :pok:

EDIT,
and thanks for even considering it

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: October 09, 2013, 04:05:18 AM
Fixed the img links to proper sized ones, hope you don't mind. ;) Cool tip too.

us Offline detron

Reply #41 on: October 09, 2013, 04:12:19 AM

ever notice how big this void is?  grab a Cybertool and look.  it might be big enough for all kinds of things, but a mag glass might fit.  I do not have a loose one to test with

us Offline detron

Reply #42 on: October 09, 2013, 04:14:30 AM

thanks,  on my post where i stole them from they were just thumbnails, I copied image location, and posted with the image button.  guess I should slow down and see what happens next time.  however, thank you very much

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: October 09, 2013, 04:19:02 AM

thanks,  on my post where i stole them from they were just thumbnails, I copied image location, and posted with the image button.  guess I should slow down and see what happens next time.  however, thank you very much

Lowering the thumbnails img second number by one should give you the full sized picture.

us Offline detron

Reply #44 on: October 09, 2013, 04:31:22 AM

Lowering the thumbnails img second number by one should give you the full sized picture.

nice tip!  thanks!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #45 on: October 09, 2013, 05:25:16 AM

Seems like a CT 29 to start with and an Explorer for parts would work!  Yes, No, Maybe? :D

us Offline detron

Reply #46 on: October 09, 2013, 05:30:43 AM

Seems like a CT 29 to start with and an Explorer for parts would work!  Yes, No, Maybe? :D

I like ALL of my CT41, if the swisschamp had the CT layer, or if the CT41 had the mag glass I would be super happy.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #47 on: October 09, 2013, 06:03:10 AM

I like ALL of my CT41, if the swisschamp had the CT layer, or if the CT41 had the mag glass I would be super happy.

Yeah, I agree.  I would like to see a CT layer on anything like a climber, explorer (remove opener layer), and maybe a Champ Plus (also remove the opener layer). :)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #48 on: October 09, 2013, 09:16:57 AM

I would not mind even if it was in the scale and removable!!  :pok:

EDIT,
and thanks for even considering it

I'm sure someone did a mod where they paired the LED light with the older mag glass in one layer  :think: Aside from that there are a couple of other easily carried options, Fresnel lens in the wallet, or a True Utility Eyeglass attached to the key ring

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline victordomingos

Reply #49 on: October 09, 2013, 11:30:18 AM

I wish I had a DSLR camera, these review pictures would look soo much better.  however not bad for a cell phone.

You can use the magnifier as a macro lens placing it over your phone camera ;-) I use it like this all the time to get further detail from small objects.

Offline victordomingos

Reply #50 on: October 09, 2013, 11:35:01 AM

Can you see if you got the latest style of the mag glass, that comes in two pieces, glass lens and transparent plastic frame? Or is it the previous new version, one piece clear plastic?

When did Victorinox started building those new lenses with glass over plastic? I have an Explorer and I really need to check if it is glass or plastic (I think I got the plastic version).

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: October 09, 2013, 11:47:09 AM

I love my CT41. But super happy for me would be finding the XLT.

Offline victordomingos

Reply #52 on: October 13, 2013, 01:26:41 PM
I just found that my recently bought Explorer still has the plastic lens. Should I start crying in a desperate way? :-)

us Offline detron

Reply #53 on: October 13, 2013, 07:31:41 PM
I just found that my recently bought Explorer still has the plastic lens. Should I start crying in a desperate way? :-)

I know that is disappointing,  but better a plastic lens than no lens.

I do with there was a different part number or package identifier if the lens is glass versus plastic

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #54 on: October 13, 2013, 08:04:55 PM
One nice thing about threads like this, it inspires me to carry things that haven't seen use in a while.  My SwissChamp is in my pocket today.  :)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline detron

Reply #55 on: October 13, 2013, 08:06:18 PM
One nice thing about threads like this, it inspires me to carry things that haven't seen use in a while.  My SwissChamp is in my pocket today.  :)

:twak:  all of your babies deserve a breath of fresh air

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk now Free

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #56 on: October 13, 2013, 08:09:27 PM

Everything sees some use here, even limited editions.  :o  No shelf queens in this house, I assure you.  It's just that there seem to be a lot more babies around lately than there used to be.....  ::)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline detron

Reply #57 on: October 13, 2013, 08:12:47 PM

yeah, this place creates a larger number of babies.

the only SAK I have that I do not carry, is my McKinley.  I know it is not that rare or valuable, but it is the closest thing I have to a rare SAK.  (and I do not like partially serrated blades)
it is my only Camo SAK, and I wish I had others

Everything sees some use here, even limited editions.  :o  No shelf queens in this house, I assure you.  It's just that there seem to be a lot more babies around lately than there used to be.....  ::)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD