Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Dual Pro / Dutch army knife question

styx · 8 · 1540

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Dual Pro / Dutch army knife question
on: September 20, 2013, 08:33:07 PM
I'm considering this one over the Soldier 08 model as it would fill a very particular role that no other knife in my collection could really fill.
The main issue is how comfortable it is since it has 2 one hand opening blades
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Re: Dual Pro / Dutch army knife question
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 08:56:22 PM
Not comfortable at all, in my opinion. The eyelet of the closed blade sticks out too much and it can be problem when holding the knife in the hand. There are other 111 mm models with dual blades. I would personally choose the Rescue Tool for its excellent serrated blade which to me looks better overall than the OHO serrated blade.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 09:04:16 PM
I don't have one, do want one... But I'm really annoyed by the dual serrated blades...  :facepalm:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

hr Offline styx

Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 07:57:40 AM
Personally I don't mind the looks but the comfort in use is an issue. Considering that the curves serrated blade would be used hopefully in rare situations that isn't an issue. but the main blade would get all the usual use.

The Rescue tool is filled with things that I don't have any use for and it's quite a bit expensive. For now it's back to the drawing board and to see what Mrs Clause will do

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 02:27:27 PM
There is also the older OH Rescuer which is cheaper than both the Rescue Tool and the Dual Pro/Dual Pro X. Not as nice (no DD scales) but functional:

http://www.edcsource.com/Victorinox-OH-Rescuer-Swiss-Army-Knife--Free-US-Shipping,name,116549,auction_id,auction_details

[edit] significantly cheaper only than the Rescue Tool as the Dual Pros can be both found at only $10 more or so.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 02:32:41 PM by Marius »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 08:38:46 PM
Personally I don't mind the looks but the comfort in use is an issue. Considering that the curves serrated blade would be used hopefully in rare situations that isn't an issue. but the main blade would get all the usual use.

The Rescue tool is filled with things that I don't have any use for and it's quite a bit expensive. For now it's back to the drawing board and to see what Mrs Clause will do

Take a look at equivalant Wenger Rangers. The OHO "hump" is less obtrusive, and the saw being longer helps efficiency too. Unless you've got large hands keep the number of layers to a minimum as the scales are quite fat and make the wider knives (with pliers etc) very chunky

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 09:00:06 PM
You're in ZG, right? You can go to Maestral Centar near Kvatrić and check which model you like best in person. They have good prices too.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.210888218950456.66974.209927205713224&type=1

hr Offline styx

Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 09:39:23 PM
Yep I'm here and I know 'em. I think they know me already for checking out a lot of things as well lol

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%