Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Recalls Uppercut

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Gerber Recalls Uppercut
on: September 25, 2013, 03:51:15 AM
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Re: Gerber Recalls Uppercut
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 01:52:03 PM
The Parang by BG was recalled too.
Leatherman

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 02:08:34 PM
Seems that its only the sheath..

Consumers should immediately cover and store the Uppercut knife in a safe area out of the reach of children. Contact Gerber Legendary Blades for instructions on returning the sheath for a free replacement sheath.
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 03:03:59 PM

The Parang sheath is made with Nylon, and from youtube, it looks like how the parang is secured in sheath might not be the best design.  But I wonder the uppercall neck knife, the sheath looks kydex...is it because it was too loose and would the laceration wound was due to misuse?

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 05:39:24 PM
:facepalm:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 05:58:28 PM
Looking at pics online there's no obvious reason why it should be recalled. The only thing I did think is that the retention is based on two little lugs on the side of the sheath that clip under the blade.

Maybe - and this is pure speculation - there is the potential for someone to be holding the sheath over where the clips are, and the blade edge to protrude down through the slit at the side of the clip and cut a user when they thought their fingers were safe ....? Clipping behind the blade on the face (ala hartsook/smidgeon) rather than at the side does seem safer to me.

Aside from that, I can't see where the potential issue may lie. All we know is this has come from one injury that didn't need stitches :shrug:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 06:59:02 PM
Looking at pics online there's no obvious reason why it should be recalled. The only thing I did think is that the retention is based on two little lugs on the side of the sheath that clip under the blade.

Maybe - and this is pure speculation - there is the potential for someone to be holding the sheath over where the clips are, and the blade edge to protrude down through the slit at the side of the clip and cut a user when they thought their fingers were safe ....? Clipping behind the blade on the face (ala hartsook/smidgeon) rather than at the side does seem safer to me.

Aside from that, I can't see where the potential issue may lie. All we know is this has come from one injury that didn't need stitches :shrug:

You've got to give credit to a company who are prepared to go to a lot of time and expense doing a recall over the fact one guy who cut himself.  Not saying it should have happened, or that a better design would have been the thing to have in the first place, but many another company would have just brushed this under the carpet.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 07:09:51 PM

You've got to give credit to a company who are prepared to go to a lot of time and expense doing a recall over the fact one guy who cut himself.  Not saying it should have happened, or that a better design would have been the thing to have in the first place, but many another company would have just brushed this under the carpet.

Maybe they don't have many items that I do like, but I definitely can respect a company that stand behind their products, and at the least they still care.

In this video, the owner of a gerber parang shown how the parang is secured inside its sheath, I don't like it all that much--if the snap button got snagged open in the wild, it is possible to get cut:

Gerber Bear Grylls Parang recall vs replacement

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 02:41:36 AM

The Parang sheath is made with Nylon, and from youtube, it looks like how the parang is secured in sheath might not be the best design.  But I wonder the uppercall neck knife, the sheath looks kydex...is it because it was too loose and would the laceration wound was due to misuse?

It said that the Parang was recalled because it was loose between the handle and the blade.
Leatherman

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 03:18:28 AM
true. My first BG parang broke at that part where the tang meets the handle - either due to bad heat treating or poor steel composition - the next one i got worked like a charm
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 05:10:00 AM
true. My first BG parang broke at that part where the tang meets the handle - either due to bad heat treating or poor steel composition - the next one i got worked like a charm

Yikes, that's just plain bad QC or design.  :facepalm:

But glad to know at least they are willing to fix the problem.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 05:27:22 AM
Then there was the Gerber hatchet with the knife in the handle.  Apparently the knife would come flying out at you if you swung the hatchet too hard.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2011/Gerber-Legendary-Blades-Recalls-Combo-Axe-Due-to-Laceration-Hazard/

One of my personal favourites.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 05:59:17 AM
Then there was the Gerber hatchet with the knife in the handle.  Apparently the knife would come flying out at you if you swung the hatchet too hard.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2011/Gerber-Legendary-Blades-Recalls-Combo-Axe-Due-to-Laceration-Hazard/

One of my personal favourites.

I remember seeing this tool as well, and I wonder will many folks oversea selling this item ever know there is a recall for these products.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%