Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Travel friendly

Rs217 · 20 · 2491

us Offline Rs217

• Please send coffee
Travel friendly
on: September 25, 2013, 12:30:31 AM
Hi friends,

Are there any threads about TSA friendly SAKs? If not, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: Travel friendly
Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 02:52:10 AM
Other options include the Wenger Air Traveler or Swiss Clipper AT:

http://www.wengerna.com/air-traveler-16912

http://www.wengerna.com/swiss-clipper-at-16918

Finally, while obviously not a SAK, Leatherman makes a play for the air travel market with their Style PS.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 08:03:11 PM
FWIW, my mum's had some pretty inoffensive and well within the law nail scissors confiscated in the past - I wouldn't push it.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 11:22:30 PM
 I agree with the above statement. I have said it here before and I will say it again- DO NOT take anything on a plane did you don't absolutely have to take with you.

TSA agents have far too much latitude in determining your fate and its not worth getting charged or put on a no fly list over your desire to have a nail file,  screwdriver or small knife blade with you.

Def

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Rs217

• Please send coffee
Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 01:41:39 AM

I agree with the above statement. I have said it here before and I will say it again- DO NOT take anything on a plane did you don't absolutely have to take with you.

TSA agents have far too much latitude in determining your fate and its not worth getting charged or put on a no fly list over your desire to have a nail file,  screwdriver or small knife blade with you.

Def

I'm worried you're right. I would love having a PS in my pocket, but every time there'd be a risk of losing it. Maybe I should stick to checked luggage....sigh....

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 01:45:31 AM
I agree. Stay with checked luggage for anything you are not willing to part with. Why would you need to carry it on your person anyway on a plane?
T

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 02:07:32 AM
I took my PS with me through multiple airports and was not even questioned about it. I for one will always carry a PS with me when I travel. Carry at your own risk though.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 02:10:19 AM
I agree. Stay with checked luggage for anything you are not willing to part with. Why would you need to carry it on your person anyway on a plane?

Last flight I wen't on a older lady could not get her peanuts open so I asked if she could use scissors. She said she wishes she had a pair. I pulled out the scissors on my PS and she cut her peanuts open and thanked me.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 02:12:44 AM
I have wished very much that I had a nail file or scissors while traveling. When I got storm stayed in Chicago a few years ago I tried to buy a phone charger at the airport but couldn't get it out of the packaging without some kind of cutting implement.  It was frustrating, especially considering none of the stores were allowed scissors either.

Surrendering an item is frustrating as well, but there is a very good chance that if you argue with them about it, or even appear to be belligerent in their opinion, you could find your future very limited.

Yes it's wrong that they treat people that way, but you simply will not win trying to fight it on site. 

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 02:16:40 AM
I agree. If I where questioned about it I would "try" calmly to explain I am not carrying anything prohibited and if they insisted I give it up I would fully comply and let them take it.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 02:27:00 AM
I have carried my Wenger Swiss Clipper AT on more than one flight.  It has been inspected very closely, with some TSA agents even opening each tool to be sure there were no knife blades, but no one has tried to confiscate it yet.  I would never carry anything that had significant monetary or any sentimental value, but to me it is worth the risk that I might lose a run-of-the-mill tool to be able to carry something rather than nothing.  If they do decide to take it, you have to be able to shrug it off and not cop an attitude, as that (not the SAK) is what can really get you in trouble.  (Note this same logic doesn't apply to firearms, explosives, etc.)  YMMV, though.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 02:38:01 AM
Why do we need SAKs during a flight?
Leatherman

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 02:43:46 AM

If you are traveling without checked luggage,  it would be nice to have something

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

If I can help, let me know 

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 02:49:21 AM

There have already been two examples given in this thread:  opening a phone charger (OK, that was technically in the airport) and opening a package of peanuts.  I'll add personal grooming, trimming loose threads, tightening glasses screws, and because I feel sad and naked without a pocket tool... :P

Edit:  Good point about traveling without checked bags, too.  Didn't see that before I posted.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 02:51:11 AM by nate j »

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 02:52:10 AM

There have already been two examples given in this thread:  opening a phone charger (OK, that was technically in the airport) and opening a package of peanuts.  I'll add personal grooming, trimming loose threads, tightening glasses screws, and because I feel sad and naked without a pocket tool... :P

Edit:  Good point about traveling without checked bags, too.  Didn't see that before I posted.

I'm allergic to peanuts. :(
Leatherman

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 02:56:07 AM

I'm allergic to peanuts. :(

Well, I suppose you can scratch opening bags of peanuts off the list, then... :D
Not the only reason one might need a SAK mid-flight, though.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 02:58:13 AM
I hate having crud under my fingernails.  It bothers me even more when I'm just sitting there with little to occupy my mind so I would really appreciate having a nail file with me.

But I'd rather have dirty fingernails than not be allowed to fly again.

Def

us Offline RoboYeti

Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 05:00:04 AM
I have taken my Wenger Air Traveler on about 6 flights. The only time it was inspected was when I was randomly selected to be given "special attention". Even then the guy looked at it for about 4 seconds and let it pass.

I always open all the tools when it passes through the x-ray machine, so they can see that there are no blades on their display. Since they never mention it, I'm not sure if they are aware it has no blades, or if they are just asleep and don't notice it at all.

I got the Air Traveler because I am a Wenger fan (and it was on clearance on their website). I mostly use the scissors, which are very impressive for the size. However, I think the tool would be greatly improved if it had a reasonably sized screwdriver, rather than just an eyeglass screwdriver. I wear glasses, but I've never needed to adjust them.

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 04:49:12 PM
I used to be an aircraft technician, and it is real frustrating to know that it would take less than a minute to fix the door on the overhead that keeps popping open - if I had a #2 Phillips screwdriver. Or the seat that isn't locked down properly could be - if I had a large slot screwdriver. But of no, I might want to "go all psycho" and try killing someone, so having tools isn't allowed. They will serve my dinner with stainless steel cutlery, but a screwdriver or multi-tool is too dangerous...

And what if someone else try's something stupid? We are supposed to trust that there is an "Air Marshal" on the passenger manifest and they will save us all. Sure... Can I request Bruce Willis? I'll take my own safety as my own responsibility, thank you. "Excuse me Grandmother, if I could please borrow your 12" steel knitting needles for a few moments..."

But these are just 2 of a number of reasons I fly as little as possible.

Sent from my iPad2
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21