Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MUT justification?

Offline wellgate

MUT justification?
on: September 24, 2013, 12:28:49 AM
I have a selection of LM Multitools: wave, juice, Skeletool, squirt, style and micro.i have my heart set on a MUT. Is it really suitable for everyday civilian use, and can it do things the other tools cannot. I'll probably do what a lot of people do: buy on emotion and justify with fact...:-)

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Re: MUT justification?
Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 12:38:38 AM
It has a hammer, so that's one reason to get it.

It does have some things that you'd probably never use, like the punch and scraper, but you could always look at getting it modded if you wanted.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 12:41:48 AM
A MUT is not really useful in EDC because it has a lot of useless functions.
Leatherman

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 12:43:34 AM
I can't say anything...at the UK meet I said I really couldn't see the point in a firearm specific MT in the UK. Ten minutes later a set into 50ft-trads rifle with a modded PST  :facepalm:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 07:09:11 AM
It looks hard.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 09:15:48 AM
I ordered mine because I want it, only justification you need :D

There's some more discussion about the subject here
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:18:10 AM by Aleph78 »
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 09:35:14 AM
I can't say anything...at the UK meet I said I really couldn't see the point in a firearm specific MT in the UK. Ten minutes later a set into 50ft-trads rifle with a modded PST  :facepalm:

:D :D :salute:

The MUT is not a tool that appeals to me at all. If you want one, get one - but I wouldn't consider it "civilian EDC" personally

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 12:11:13 PM
Lack of imagination only limits the tool. There are so many wonderful uses for those weapon specific tools that aren't just for weapons, I think you will enjoy your MUT.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 08:03:55 PM
It has a hammer. This is a good thing. It has slots for lots of screwdriver bits. This is a good thing.

That do?

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 08:24:14 PM
it is awfully pretty  :drool:
(what other reason does one need?)

00 Offline Kukamunga

• drool, *drool* for cool multitoolz
Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 08:48:27 PM
Lack of imagination only limits the tool. There are so many wonderful uses for those weapon specific tools that aren't just for weapons, I think you will enjoy your MUT.

I agree.  I've got a MUT EOD.  Have used the C4 punch for starter drill holes, the bronze scraper for an untold number of things, the hammer - as a hammer [OK; with what is the obvious limited use, but still - hammer away...], wire cutters, crimper, knife very frequently, saw, driver constantly [extended bits are great], pliers - of course.  Have even used the cutting hook a couple of times, but can honestly say I've never used the bolt-override tool nor the wrench that comes with.  Uh, and the tool that does get the most use so far: congratulations to the bottle opener!  Oh, and the cleaning rod "adaptor" screwholes I've used - just for that purpose [and keep a cleaning brush in the sheath] - very useful...

What I love about the MUT are what I love so much about - well, multitools in general [but leatherman tools in particular] is the great use of space.  Everything is 'on board' and the little details that are so functional - and it meshes well together.  As a Batman fan, I first took notice of the MUT on something like the Tool Guyd site where the tagline was something like, 'Hey, Batman - check this out!'.  It just looks cool and the functions are truly great.

The MUT EOD is currently my EDC and has been for a while.  I love it.  Weapons specific tools are not just for the military and gun nuts people anymore!
...nothing in his pockets but knives and lint...

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 09:14:14 PM
If it doesn't cut into any important budgets, just come to terms with the fact it's an irrational desire and buy the thing.

If you actually need the money in question, just come to terms with the fact it's an irrational desire and don't buy the thing.

Simple. :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 09:33:21 PM
I agree with everything said  :facepalm:

now that's said I say go for it.  I don't need a gold rebar but I saw it and I wanted it and while I can say it wont ever be used I find great joy in carrying it and showing it off.  it didn't break any budget or put me out so the justification is it makes me happy and trips people out when I flash it.  seems like the MUT will be of use to you and chako nailed it with imagination is limitless to its uses.  Stealth007 has one I believe as well and im not sure if he uses it for weapons.  anyway enough rambling from me.  steinar has some great points as well, like I said I agree with everything said.  good luck deciding   
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 10:13:39 PM
Oh you know you waaaaaaant it!  :D

Kind of like this; no one needs one, but everyone will want one.  :pok:

us Offline Rs217

• Please send coffee
Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 10:28:23 PM

I agree.  I've got a MUT EOD.  Have used the C4 punch for starter drill holes, the bronze scraper for an untold number of things, the hammer - as a hammer [OK; with what is the obvious limited use, but still - hammer away...], wire cutters, crimper, knife very frequently, saw, driver constantly [extended bits are great], pliers - of course.  Have even used the cutting hook a couple of times, but can honestly say I've never used the bolt-override tool nor the wrench that comes with.  Uh, and the tool that does get the most use so far: congratulations to the bottle opener!  Oh, and the cleaning rod "adaptor" screwholes I've used - just for that purpose [and keep a cleaning brush in the sheath] - very useful...

What I love about the MUT are what I love so much about - well, multitools in general [but leatherman tools in particular] is the great use of space.  Everything is 'on board' and the little details that are so functional - and it meshes well together.  As a Batman fan, I first took notice of the MUT on something like the Tool Guyd site where the tagline was something like, 'Hey, Batman - check this out!'.  It just looks cool and the functions are truly great.

The MUT EOD is currently my EDC and has been for a while.  I love it.  Weapons specific tools are not just for the military and gun nuts people anymore!

This is now talking me into wanting one :facepalm: 

00 Offline Kukamunga

• drool, *drool* for cool multitoolz
Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 01:21:49 AM
This is now talking me into wanting one :facepalm:

Well, then: everything is going according to plan!   >:D

Btw, I definitely understand if one were to balk at the cost of these mothers; they're great, but are a little on the pricey side.  Sure I'm not revealing anything to anyone you didn't already know, but...I took the crumbs my credit card company feed me [depending on how much I use it, ad nauseum] and converted them to Amazonian dollars.  So...MUT EOD only cost about apx. $50 after taking, in my case, $100 off.  It's really half a dozen, etc. - but for those that live in immediate gratification land.  You know...
...nothing in his pockets but knives and lint...

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 07:52:07 AM
The hammer was very handy... And works quite well. The strap cutter with replaceable blade is nifty, and who doesn't like the wire cutters. It also has the largest most aggressive saw. Also it was fun to see the "wtf is that?!!" Look on someone's face when you whip the mut out to hang a small picture.;)

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 06:09:51 AM
The hammer was very handy... And works quite well. The strap cutter with replaceable blade is nifty, and who doesn't like the wire cutters. It also has the largest most aggressive saw. Also it was fun to see the "wtf is that?!!" Look on someone's face when you whip the mut out to hang a small picture.;)

I'm glad I'm not the only one :think:
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 09:53:33 PM
Mmmmmm, MUT.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 10:01:42 PM
I don't know why, but I like collecting military tools... so MUT, SOG Powerlock EOD, Gerber MP600 DET ( Which i still have to get)...
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00