Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Schrade ST1 variations

J-sews · 15 · 8570

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Schrade ST1 variations
on: May 11, 2008, 03:15:17 AM
The ST1 Tough Tool was produced in the USA from 1997 until Schrade shut down in 2004. There are a suprising number of variations in the tools considering the short time they were in production. We recently talked about it in this thread HERE. After buying and borrowing a number of different Tough Tools I've managed to identify these four variations here:

JAWS:
The original Series 1 tools had jaws produced by stamping six different pieces out from heavy gauge sheet metal then laminating them together with rivets. Fine and coarse serrations were then cut into this sandwich of jaw plates, no doubt an expensive operation. Wire cutter area was also cut after stamping. Note stylized SCHRADE logo and right-side-up USA logo.

Series 2 tools appeared sometime before 2000 (based on a photograph in the 2000 Field & Stream ad) Jaws were still produced from six pieces riveted together, but the pieces had changed somewhat. Now the center sections were investment cast, while only the outer four plates were stamped steel. Serrations were still cut after assembly. Wire cutters however were cast in from the start, eliminating some cost. Note plain SCHRADE logo and upsidedown USA logo.

The entire jaw was cast solid on the Series 3 tools. Somewhat humorously, fake rivet heads were also cast into the jaws. (even though they serve no function) Jaw serrations were also cast in instead of cut in afterwards. By eliminating the rivets and the "sandwich" construction, number of pieces for a complete plier head was reduced from ten down to only two. Plus no more labor involved in assembly, riveting, and cutting serrations. Cost savings must have been considerable.

After Taylor Brands acquired the Schrade name, production of the ST1 was resumed in China. These Series 4 Tough Tools resemble the American made models in appearance only. Close examination makes it clear that none of the dies or tooling from the original plant is being used to manufacture today's tools. Jaws remain entirely cast, with heavy burrs on a number of inner surfaces. The SCHRADE logo is now cast in place. Also note the flush plier pivot.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Schrade ST1 variations
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 04:25:19 AM
Thanks a lot Bob, I always wondered about the variations! It's amazing how companies can go down hill to save a buck!
B

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 04:30:03 AM
Yeah nice pics Bob the first 2 pics were definately best quality, while the l;ast you can visibly see is of much less quality. Sad to see such a nice tool degrade like that.

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 06:14:37 AM
If it don't say USA,stay away!!!

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 07:41:13 AM
Excellent!

Thanks for taking the time and energy to put this together. I have a series 2 but will be on the lookout for other ones now that we have some more information on the subject.

You washed your hands after handling the series 4, right?  :P

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 01:44:33 PM
Excellent!

Thanks for taking the time and energy to put this together. I have a series 2 but will be on the lookout for other ones now that we have some more information on the subject.

You washed your hands after handling the series 4, right?  :P

Washed AND disinfected!  :P

This Chinese version is sooooo bad. The sheet metal on the left handle is warped and distorted. Two of the knife blades don't fold into it properly. Chinese solution? Simply bend the tips of the blades over until they do fit. ::)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 03:51:54 PM
Wow- it actually hurts to look at that!

Have you identified any other generational differences between the various incarnations?  It might be interesting to see the other goodies- it's obvious quality went downhill after Schrade went out of business, but how is the Gen 3 quality overall?  Do you think the difference between cast heads and laminated heads changes the quality any?  The change makes sense if there's no appreciable loss of quality/strength but it's cheaper to manufacture.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 06:10:06 PM
That really is awful >:(
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2008, 06:23:51 PM
Thanks for that Bob, it was very interesting.  :)

That chinese one is shockingly awful isn't it.  :-\
I'm back!!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 06:58:27 PM
It really is a POS! Bob, how much did you pay for it?/! I saw a Chinese made one at Kmart yesterday.. It didn't look AS bad as yours though!  ???
B

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 09:22:04 PM
It really is a POS! Bob, how much did you pay for it?/! I saw a Chinese made one at Kmart yesterday.. It didn't look AS bad as yours though!  ???

They don't look that bad, but trust me, they are. I'm embarrassed to admit that I paid $14 for this one.  :-[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 09:29:08 PM
........it's obvious quality went downhill after Schrade went out of business, but how is the Gen 3 quality overall?  Do you think the difference between cast heads and laminated heads changes the quality any?  The change makes sense if there's no appreciable loss of quality/strength but it's cheaper to manufacture.

Def

Oops, guess I should clarify. In my opinion, the overall quality of Series 1 thru 3 made in USA tools are all quite good. Changing from labor-intensive laminated plier jaws to investment cast ones did not take away anything from the tool. If anything it made the ST1 more comparable to multitools from Leatherman and Gerber and everyone else who ALWAYS used cast plier heads.

......Have you identified any other generational differences between the various incarnations?..... 

As a matter of fact there is an entire Encyclopedia page devoted to just that topic: https://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=ST1+Tough+Tool+variations

Does anyone have an ST1 model with features other than what is listed?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 09:31:28 PM by J-sews »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 12:46:52 AM
It looks like mine is a second generation model:

http://www.multitool.org/miscellaneous-tools/large-tools/schrade-st1.html

I'll have a closer look and let you know if there are any other variations on mine, but mine has seen better days so if they are subtle, they may not be visible.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 04:53:53 PM
If anybody is interested if have one T1 Tough Tool series 3 for trade, is used but not abused.
I'm looking for a Black Oxide CORE or SWISSTOOL.
PM me or drop me a line to jfcm44@hotmail.com

Thanks.
Enjoy!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 07:16:15 PM

They don't look that bad, but trust me, they are. I'm embarrassed to admit that I paid $14 for this one.  :-[
At least you've SAVED a few of us $14 mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD