Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What do you think of the One-handed Trekker, Non-Serrated?

Smaug · 49 · 9381

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
I cannot contain my excitement, so I must come and share here.

I've had an Adventurer (basically, a Tinker with a locking blade) since the late 80s or early 90s. I like it, but don't carry it much, due to its length being hip pocket-hostile and my lack of commitment to carry it in a pouch.

Later, I picked up an 07 Soldier. I like it, but I sometimes don't like the serrated blade. For example, when trying to smoothly slice a piece of plastic wrap or cutting up or peeling fruit. I also miss the toothpick. Lastly, the serrated blades have just never sat well with me. Although they can be sharpened, I FEAR sharpening them, because it is a hassle and quite time-consuming. It's like a bought some fancy Porsche on which I'm afraid to change the oil.

Of course, for my suburban everyday carry needs, the saw is useless, but there doesn't seem to be a OHO model without that, but with it absent or with scissors instead.

I may just geek up a little and carry this to work in a belt pouch or pocket hanger rig. Will I last, or will I fade back to my trusty Rambler?

So there's my story. Now onto yours.

Do you like your OHO Trekker NS? Any surprises, good or bad? How do you like it compared to an '07 Soldier?

P.S. - Anyone else feel like they should make a new model, with the grippy grips, with T&T, pen, and pin; with a heavy-duty Wenger-style shears instead of the saw? That would be a runaway best-seller, I think.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: What do you think of the One-handed Trekker, Non-Serrated?
Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 06:10:40 PM
I have a nonserrated OH trekker and its awesome, they should all come that way.  I dont EDC it so I cant say Ive used it much though. I also find the saw useless, but its got the cutout backtool layer so I dont know how to get rid of it, unless I made custom scales.

I just ordered a liner lock non serrated non OH trekker as well.  Sometimes I dont like the hump of the blade in hand when using other tools.  So I'll have that to compare.

trekker.JPG
* trekker.JPG (Filesize: 92.21 KB)
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 06:22:27 PM
Love the OHO Trekker blade.  My biggest complaint with them is the backside Phillips.  It's held in by a thin aluminum liner and brass pin.  I sheared the pin off trying to loosen the cover on the brake MC on my Multistrada.  Now yes, there was a bit of corrosion (like brake fluid will do) but it shouldn't have sheared off like that.

I fixed the Phillips with a steel pin, but it sort of soured me on the design.  I like the Wenger Rangers because of the 1/4 bit driver set up in them.

Linky to the problem:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,22526.msg416330.html#msg416330

Followup experiment.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,22565.msg417176.html#msg417176

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 06:26:22 PM
+ 1 for the OHO, its my weekend hiking companion, wouldn't go without it.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 06:33:57 PM
I'm not a fan of the OHO 111mm knives. As mentioned before, the hump is uncomfortable when using other tools. The Wenger Rangers are much better in that respect, so I'd suggest looking at equivalent models in that line up  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 09:16:06 PM
Love the OHO Trekker blade.  My biggest complaint with them is the backside Phillips.  It's held in by a thin aluminum liner and brass pin.  I sheared the pin off trying to loosen the cover on the brake MC on my Multistrada.  Now yes, there was a bit of corrosion (like brake fluid will do) but it shouldn't have sheared off like that.

I fixed the Phillips with a steel pin, but it sort of soured me on the design.  I like the Wenger Rangers because of the 1/4 bit driver set up in them.

Nate, thanks for the heads-up on that.

I've never had that problem either, but I've also never applied serious torque on a 111 mm Vic T-handle.

On 91mm Vics, I've applied plenty of force, but I find the driver head slips out of the screw head before that happens.

It seems they didn't figure on anyone applying that much force, and maybe also didn't plan on the extra torque the longer handle could provide.

I wonder if the Leatherman Crater C33t would fare any better? I've got one, and it seems quite sturdily built:

-Jeremy
-Aristotle

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 11:46:17 AM
I have a OHT PE, and love it, even though it doesn't fit in my EDC-lineup at all. The blade is quite awesome, I think :) But the saw is useless for me, personally.

I'm now thinking on buying a Nomad. :whistle:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 02:58:07 PM
If you can get a NS one, then you should buy it. :tu:
Leatherman

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 04:33:52 PM
The 111mm OHO Non-serrated Trekker is my personal favorite backup knife for any outdoor activities.  Here is what I think of its pros and cons

Pros:
1) Liner lock with additional backspring--if the liner lock fails, you could still use it like an ordinary SAK
2) Flick open is super easy
3) Large screwdriver/Bottle opener is my light prybar and backup ferro rod striker(need very minor mod to that)
4) Wood saw also is an impromptu ferro rod striker
5) Excellent price/performance ratio, think about what 50-60 USD(or less if you subtract the tools) will get you in folder-universe, and I think this is a good bargain.

Cons
1) Liner lock closes differently from traditional liner lock

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 04:52:21 PM
I'm not a fan of the OHO 111mm knives. As mentioned before, the hump is uncomfortable when using other tools. The Wenger Rangers are much better in that respect, so I'd suggest looking at equivalent models in that line up  :salute:

Do you find yourself using the other tools SO much or for so long that the OHO hump on the blade actually becomes uncomfortable? For me, if I need to use a screwdriver or saw THAT much, I just get a proper one. The SAK tools are more for odd jobs to save me a trip on foot somewhere...

I have a couple of Rangers. One has the same tool set as the Soldier, (73?) but it is out of the question for front pocket carry without a pocket hanger, and quite a lot thicker too. But the lock release on the blade is better; easy to snap the blade closed.

The other one is the Electrician model, with their excellent pliers, but not OHO.

Maybe I will make a lanyard the correct length to use these biggies as pocket carry...
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 04:55:59 PM
The 111mm OHO Non-serrated Trekker is my personal favorite backup knife for any outdoor activities. 

Why 'back-up?' Lots of folks feel that a big fixed blade is needed for outdoor activities, but I don't see why. For the times when one would use the big blade as a hatchet, one could simply use the saw on the Trekker. No?

As for the liner lock working the opposite way, I don't see that as an issue. Just takes some getting used to, if one is used to tactical folders. To me, it is quite acceptable if it takes longer to CLOSE the knife, as long as it can be opened quickly. ;)

Thanks all for your comments!
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 04:58:31 PM
If you can get a NS one, then you should buy it. :tu:

Are they hare to find in Canada? I found mine on felinevet's shop at edcsource.com. ($35) They also have it in stock at Amazon. They're less common than the serrated ones, and the camouflage serrated ones seem to be especially popular, but not unobtainable either.

I carried my '07 Soldier yesterday evening. One thing that I don't like about it is that not only are the serrations only sharpened from one side, but also the plain edge part of the blade. Make me want to grind it all off and start over again, but I can't bear to butcher the knife like that. Maybe one day, I will get fed up and go through with it...
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 08:55:56 AM
I have both the NS Trekker & the OHO NS Trekker.
They are both really good but the non-OHO one is more comfortable when using the other tools, though the OHO has a blade that you can open with one hand.  Between the 2 of them the best would depend on whether you like being able to open the blade with one hand or whether the two handed opening is fine by you.  Personally I'm a bit undecided and they are both really nice SAKs.

The one thing that I'm sure of is that I prefer my blades sharp and plain edged (non-serrated).
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 09:08:29 PM
The 111mm OHO Non-serrated Trekker is my personal favorite backup knife for any outdoor activities. 

Why 'back-up?' Lots of folks feel that a big fixed blade is needed for outdoor activities, but I don't see why. For the times when one would use the big blade as a hatchet, one could simply use the saw on the Trekker. No?

As for the liner lock working the opposite way, I don't see that as an issue. Just takes some getting used to, if one is used to tactical folders. To me, it is quite acceptable if it takes longer to CLOSE the knife, as long as it can be opened quickly. ;)

Thanks all for your comments!

The 111mm Trekker is my favorite outdoor backup because it is foldable and I could simply put it in a large survival kit/my pocket and be able to use(vs a really short fixed blade which virtually has no cutting edge and is awkward to hold).  It is also one of the tools that I often take with me, if I am without my MT on short hikes on paved roads.

The only reason I won't solely rely on that is because I like the idea of my tool being able to stand up to  extreme abuse that it might possibly take, if the need ever arises(namely outdoor survival situation).  Personally, I am just more biased towards a good ~5" fixed blade, which I could baton/light pry/chop/strike ferro rod with.  When it comes to survival, to me, it's all about the calorie game; and a little bigger fixed blade just may save some precious calories when the situation becomes desperate.  :o

Nevermind the lock, I actually do appreciate it since it allows my left hand to close it so easily.  ;)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 09:11:10 PM
I have both the NS Trekker & the OHO NS Trekker.
They are both really good but the non-OHO one is more comfortable when using the other tools, though the OHO has a blade that you can open with one hand.  Between the 2 of them the best would depend on whether you like being able to open the blade with one hand or whether the two handed opening is fine by you.  Personally I'm a bit undecided and they are both really nice SAKs.

The one thing that I'm sure of is that I prefer my blades sharp and plain edged (non-serrated).

I purposely made a video about to easily opening with one hand, and closing with one, for the 111mm trekker, hope this will be of reference:

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 01:25:28 AM

Do you find yourself using the other tools SO much or for so long that the OHO hump on the blade actually becomes uncomfortable? For me, if I need to use a screwdriver or saw THAT much, I just get a proper one. The SAK tools are more for odd jobs to save me a trip on foot somewhere...

I have a couple of Rangers. One has the same tool set as the Soldier, (73?) but it is out of the question for front pocket carry without a pocket hanger, and quite a lot thicker too. But the lock release on the blade is better; easy to snap the blade closed.

The other one is the Electrician model, with their excellent pliers, but not OHO.

Maybe I will make a lanyard the correct length to use these biggies as pocket carry...

They have the NS OHT at the Victorinox store at Toronto Premium Outlets and at Le Baron Outdoor Products in Markham.
Leatherman

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 01:31:23 AM

Thats exactly how Im carrying my workchamp and its been fine so far.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 04:04:15 AM
Oh, following up to my earlier comment about comfort while using tools other than the OHO blade...

I've found that the only one that gives any discomfort while in use due to the OHO blade hump is the saw, which requires quite a firm grip while using, and sometimes, some extended use too.

One trick that helps a lot with that is to put one's index finger THROUGH the deployment hold of the OHO blade, rather than on top of the blade. It's still not ideal, but better, and gives some good grip for the pushing and pulling action that's needed while using the saw.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

Offline marcclarke

Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 02:43:55 PM
I detest mine. The liner lock is  backwards. What an incredibly stupid design decision by the Victorinox design team. Not recommended.

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 03:29:15 PM
I detest mine. The liner lock is  backwards. What an incredibly stupid design decision by the Victorinox design team. Not recommended.

I detest this post. The liner lock is designed to Swiss knife laws. What an incredibly stupid decision to judge this out of another country. This post not recommended for reading.   ::)

And let me add: Show me any other knife with a locking screwdriver/prybar with a comparable width and we can discuss design criterias further.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 03:53:01 PM
RT1969... maybe a little more tact next time? We'd really rather avoid pointless antagonism.

However, I think there's a valid point.

I only ever had the semi-serrated version, but loved the liner lock.

Then again, I'm left handed, and felt like someone finally made a lock that made sense. :D

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 03:58:09 PM
I really love my serrated Trekker... I'm thinking of getting a non serrated sentinel just for chopping veggies in the kitchen.

The way around the liner lock pushing the wrong way is to pretend you're left handed. Seriously. Just put the knife in your left hand and you can open it and close it like crazy one handed. Might chop the tip of your little finger a few times but you soon learn.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 04:14:34 PM
The liner lock is designed to Swiss knife laws.

Ah, I didn't know that. It does seem an incredibly daft bit of design (unless you're a Lefty, in which case you've found your SAK, eh Lynn?) I'm just glad there's a reason for it.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 04:29:14 PM

Nate, thanks for the heads-up on that.

I've never had that problem either, but I've also never applied serious torque on a 111 mm Vic T-handle.

On 91mm Vics, I've applied plenty of force, but I find the driver head slips out of the screw head before that happens.

It seems they didn't figure on anyone applying that much force, and maybe also didn't plan on the extra torque the longer handle could provide.

I wonder if the Leatherman Crater C33t would fare any better? I've got one, and it seems quite sturdily built:

The c33t is a fantastic knife. I had the serrated version and it would cut through nearly anything. I kick myself for misplacing that a few years ago.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 06:38:21 PM
Is the Blade on the OHO non serrated Trekker chisel grind ;ile the serrated version?

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: January 04, 2014, 06:47:11 PM
"like"

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #26 on: January 04, 2014, 06:49:24 PM
Is the Blade on the OHO non serrated Trekker chisel grind ;ile the serrated version?

iirc, no, I believe it's ground the same way as other Vic PE blades.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #27 on: January 04, 2014, 10:40:18 PM

Nope its ground like a normal blade.

us Offline burnside

Reply #28 on: January 04, 2014, 11:59:46 PM
If I were to get a trekker, it would definitely be the non serrated version. I would opt for the non-OHO because I'm never in a rush to deploy my knives, and mostly for the better ergonomics when using the other tools. I also think it looks better overall without the opener hump although I don't really care too much what it looks like as long as it works great.

A one hand opener can be very useful if your other hand is busy (especially if you are working on a job that requires both hands at all times), but I personally don't mind not having this feature because it rarely comes up that I'm ever in such a situation. If I were going to buy a one hand opener knife, I would probably go for a Vic non serrated Sentinel.

I've been thinking of picking the non serrated trekker (non-OHO) for a little while now.   :cheers:

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 05, 2014, 12:40:45 AM
Funnily enough I found a Black Ice Trailmaster for cheap, which I sold for a good profit on ebay. This was my first encounter with a Trekker/ Trailmaster. I opened the blade once - and immediately knew I had to have one of these, in regular stainless steel. Sod the colour of the metal - The action of thumbing open that fat blade and hearing it click firmly into place is the best thing about it.
I will be getting a non serrated, non-OHO sentinel - never had the opportunity to grope one yet - so it will be interesting to compare the two. The only question is whether to get one here, cheap at 16.50 euros, or from Italy, where they have them in that awesome black oxide colour, for more money, of course. I know, I know, it's just a gimmick but blimey the all-black sentinels look cool.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%