Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sheffield 3-Piece Gift Set review (#9802)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Sheffield 3-Piece Gift Set review (#9802)
on: October 24, 2013, 08:04:53 PM
This is a quick look at the Sheffield 3-Piece Gift Set that I purchased locally at Walmart for about $20.

The set comes with a full size multitool, a mini multitool, a lock blade knife, and a sheath for the full size tool.

I'll start off with the multitools.

Strangely, these tools have virtually identical tool sets, and those tools all function more-or-less the same on each. So here goes with the similarities.

Tool retention is VERY weak on these. That means, setting all other factors aside, virtually all of the screw drivers fold if you sneeze at them. The exception is the combo screwdriver/bottle opener on the smaller one, where it's center line of force tends to hold it open a bit under force. All of the other drivers, on both tools, are built to push them toward the closing side under force. The awls on both suffer this fate as well. Terrible. All of the flatheads are overly rounded, some comically so. The Philips heads, while also rounded, will slot in screws, and don't cam out under VERY light force. Their rounding issue is really irrelevant compared to their folding issue.

The plain edge blades on each tool were not paper-cutting sharp. The serrated blades are VERY aggressive, and the teeth catch on pretty much anything more stout than cardboard. They DID however, chew right through corrugated cardboard.

The files on each are better-than-average for cheapo tools. For instance, they would file my nails. That's not always true for cheap tools.

The bottle opener on the small tool cut tears in the cap, instead of lifting it. The combo can/bottle opener on the larger tool worked very well as bottle opener. However, neither would work if both handles were closed, as the tool body was in the way. They only worked half-open. I fitted the can opener to a can's rim, and on the first test pull, the hook slipped off the can's rim. I suspect that if I was hungry enough, I could make it more or less by force of will to work, but I simply do not care enough, and called it a fail.

The pliers are decent on each. Not as precise as name-brand tools, but not terrible. There was very little play in the plier pivot on either. I tentatively tested the frankly bad-looking wirecutters on the small tool versus a paperclip, and it was effortless. So, feeling emboldened, I tried 12-gauge copper wire, and it was nearly effortless. Same with the larger tool. However, there's a notch at the base of the cutters which i ASSUME is supposed to be a hard wire notch, but it doesn't close all the way when the pliers are closed, so any wire shoved into that notch won't cut. Strange and tricky.

The larger tool weighs 6.4oz. The smaller weighs 2.8oz..

The set comes with a semi-rigid sheath for the larger tool, similar to the case for the Kobalt multitool. It is fairly well made and sturdy looking with a snap closure, and vertical or horizontal carry options (although your belt would have to be pretty slim to fit the horizontal option).

The final piece in the set is a lockblade knife.

This is honestly the best thing about this set. It comes paper-cutting sharp, and has a belt clip made for right-handed tip-down carry, with no options for changing that. Opening and closing is strangely butter-smooth. The detent holding it closed is slight, but enough to feel that the blade won't accidentally open, and the lockup while open is rock solid with no play. The liner lock is easy to disengage (right-handed).

So, do I feel this tool set is worth it?

No.

I'm not going to mess around here. The main tool is not as good as the Husky multitool from Home Depot, which costs $10. I had a cheapo Coast I got for $5 that was better than the small tool here. I'd rather spend $10 and get a Bear Grylls mini multitool on sale. The knife is not bad, but worth maybe $5 by itself at most. I have to admit, I kind of like the look of the tools. The black painted aluminum with bare texturized areas as highlight look pretty nice, but looks are about the least of my priorities when it comes to MTs, and as most of the functions on these tools suck, I'd steer anyone clear from purchasing them.

So, there you go. I wasted my money, so you don't have to.

us Offline Yalius

Re: Sheffield 3-Piece Gift Set review (#9802)
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 07:21:55 AM

So, there you go. I wasted my money, so you don't have to.

This really ought to be your motto. Have we ever noted how much we appreciate your sacrifices for our benefit?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 01:18:39 PM
Thanks!  :tu:

I think mostly I do this so maybe first-time tool buyers will have a review to read so they can get an idea of how these stack up with other bargain-priced stuff.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 10:53:27 PM
Even sadder update on this sad tool set...

This is a picture of the small MT. The piece of metal that acts as a backstop for the plier head jumped out of the groove in the plier head, and now the pliers are basically useless. Folding it back in doesn't fix the problem, because the actual metal tab is bent out. I'd have to take the tool apart, and bend it back into place, and since it would just happen again, I'm not going to bother.

The amount of force I was applying at the time was frighteningly low. Complete garbage.
 :facepalm:

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 01:01:32 AM
Epic fail.  Great review and follow up.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 01:18:27 AM
I'd be taking those pieces of smurf straight back for a refund. Here in Australia goods have to be of "Acceptable Quality" to be legally sold.
The definition is...

Goods of an “acceptable quality” are:
• fit for the purposes for which goods of that kind are commonly supplied
• acceptable in appearance and finish
• free from defects
• safe and durable.

I'd say your purchase there fails to meet three of those points for the MT's.

Hope you have some similar provision in law.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 02:23:11 AM
That's too bad, I like the looks of them and they look like they have a very nice tool makeup!

Great review! :)

00 Offline freginold

Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 05:33:13 PM
Sorry to post on an old review, but I just saw this one.  Great review, thanks!  It's a shame they don't function better 'cause they really do look kind of neat.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 02:55:37 PM
Thanks, freginold. And don't feel bad about resurrecting old threads. It's common and accepted here.

Once you've been here for a while, you'll see a years-old thread pop up, and the sometimes hilarious spurt of purchases of a sort-of forgotten tool as folks get excited about it again. It's kind of neat.

As for this set, though, well... I still have the knife. :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD