Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tekut Fairy, Ganzo G2020 and some knock-offs

Corwyn · 16 · 3736

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Tekut Fairy, Ganzo G2020 and some knock-offs
on: February 15, 2014, 06:48:57 PM
Hi all,

Saw a knife, fell in love, ordered it from China, but added stuff to it... bear with me for my story of Chinese exposure.

TEKUT LK5035A Fairy
My precioussss....

PROS:
Absolutely gorgeous
Flawless quality
Good linerlock system
Incredibly sharp
No bladeplay
Working serrations

CONS:
A bit small (and it's the biggest one in the range)
Handle is a bit flimsy

I made my first order to China just for this knife, and I had medium expectations...
However I was amazed.. it is just an amazing knife, the rainbow colours are amazing, the locking system works great, and it is ridiculously sharp. None of my brand-name knives came this sharp. It can shave hair off my hand or cut paper just by touching it... such an underrated little knife.
Will be getting a Pecker and a Dapper in the next order.

Ganzo G2020-S
I bought it as you guys drove me crazy with multitools and I wanted to try one, cheap & black blades even better. Maybe I should have started with a name brand for my first MT, because I was underwhelmed by this one.

PROS:
Looks amazing
Loved the box and sheath
Pliers is really good for medium tasks
No lateral play
Good grip

CONS:
Very small
Knife is blunt
Two tools wont open without using a screwdriver
Another two tools will only open together
Tool selection is really bad
The small tools feel flimsy
The plier only opens a bit

It is a great looking multitool. Very tiny, Great box, great sheath, folds nicely. The grip is good (though the plastic feels cheap). The black Oxide tools look great, and the little plier doesnt open much but it's tight and strong and just right for small tasks.
The tools themselves are a mess though... very small and flimsy, hard to open, they link together. Such a shame.. you could see someone tried really hard to make this little multitool great and than they put these subpar tools on.
Buy only for looks, as a fancy pliers, or if you have the patience to oil/cut/sharpen the tools. Was expecting more from Ganzo.

12-in-1 Credit Card Size Pocket
Ok, I did it.. I bought a Vic knock-off on purpose. I always considered Swisscards to be too expensive for what they do, but was curious about them so if I already ordered from China I spent 3$ on a knock-off and it actually isn't as pathetic as I imagined.

PROS:
Everything works
Scrissors is quite good
Pen works
Quite cheap

CONS:
Knife is unsharpened
Plastic feels soo cheap
Screwdriver is a pain to take out and feels flimsy
Looking glass bearly works
Scrissors is a pain to put back in

Not bought in the same order, but got a nice cheap switchblade yesterday 3$ at the flea market, the little brother to my previous purchase. Same strong spring, decent cutting edge and no bladeplay. Also it didn't smell like raw iron like its bigger brother. A nice little toy to keep in the drawer and flip ocasionally. I'm collecting these as I'm quite sure they will be banned soon so gotta catchém all.

In short, 4 cheapo toys, 3 of them mediocre, but interesting, one of them, a real gem.
Next month I will be making another order to China, two more Tekut beauties a Hobo Knife and some more miscellaneous toys.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 06:55:45 PM by Corwyn »
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Tekut Fairy, Ganzo G2020 and some knock-offs
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 01:50:41 PM
Nice little catch you got there. As for the Swisscard knockoff, I believe the blade not being sharp may not be an issue, as the blade on these is more considered a letter opener than a working knife.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 03:18:44 PM
As much as I hate the knock offs,those faux SwissCards would be handy to gift to the Multitool deficient ...
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 06:48:06 PM
I do think you need to get yourself a decent MT. :D  That does look a well made knife though and the "swiss" card looks OK as well. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Romanoat

• Fixin' things in jersey...
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 03:32:43 AM
That tekut fairy reminds me of my Kershaw leek. I'm gonna have a look at it when I get off the damned couch...

us Offline abd1959

Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 12:15:59 PM
I always wondered how the Ganzo multitools were. Ganzo knives are pretty good and I have a few, but I think I will stick with the better known MT's.

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 10:19:02 PM
i'd get that tekut in a heartbeat!
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

ca Offline Dem

Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 12:04:00 AM
I always wondered how the Ganzo multitools were. Ganzo knives are pretty good and I have a few, but I think I will stick with the better known MT's.

I have a G-301, which I think is their current top of the line. It's very similar to a gerber suspension, but has no phillips driver (instead, it has a post for mounting an included bit driver.) Fit and finish wasn't perfect but it was adequate, and the tool itself is surprisingly durable even if it has the same issues Suspensions have (internal tools are a bit small compare to the size of the tool as a whole)

While it's actually completely adequate as an MT, I don't know why you'd pick one over a suspension at the same price. That way you'd get a Phillips driver without having to lug around the bit kit, as well as access to a good warranty. Still, it's something I don't feel bad about having in the glove box of my car.

Chinese knives have impressed me quite a lot, though.

Dem

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 10:49:34 PM
Well I'm not impressed. :td:
SAW

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 11:26:12 PM
Tekut makes some pretty decent stuff.  I wouldn't say what I've seen/handled/owned has blown me away, but the quality is solid for the price paid.

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 11:51:07 PM
Can I ask where did you buy them?  I like those tekus

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 06:19:59 PM
I got it from here:
http://www.fasttech.com/product/1603701-tekut-lk5035a-fairy-stainless-steel-folding-knife

It's a really nice knife and it looks great
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 10:52:46 PM
I would skip the Ganzo tools - when I saw the low-res photos of the G202B model and its price, I was interested in that one. But when I read the detailed review and saw the hi-res shots of its tools, I decided to skip it.
That MT is full of childish, tragic "mistakes" that ruin the whole tool. Some of the tools are unusable - they look like they were made by playing children. There is no excuse for the badly made screwdrivers, awl or a mini-saw. Those Chinese manufacturers have A LOT to learn.

20-30$ for the tool that tries to be something it is not? No, thanks.

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 12:46:24 PM
OK, I mixed up some model names from Ganzo.  :oops:  :facepalm: The bad model I was talking about wasn't the G202B, it had some similar but different name, I can't remember now. That one was just a waste of money. It had the ~4 cm wood saw, unusable fat awl and the useless "philips" "screwdriver". The G202B model seems quite better, but I would still be cautious.

ca Offline Dem

Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 10:54:26 PM
The g2xx and 3xx series are fine, but they have no onboard phillips driver (they do come with a bit kit) so I'd consider the suspension (which is very similar, especially to the 3xx) a better tool by far. Especially once you take warranties into account.

Sawman, don't like the SRM 710?

Dem

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69