Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why Wenger?

detron · 20 · 1690

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Why Wenger?
on: October 30, 2013, 03:11:29 AM
I LOVE Vic SAKs,

I have a couple of Wengers, but to me they are just not the same. (I do like the Yellow Evo though)

Can you point out why you like Wenger?  Have I developed a bias before giving Wenger the chance it deserves?

Thank you for your help
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Re: Why Wenger?
Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 04:19:28 AM
faster more efficient can opener on the Wenger.   I like Victorinox better too though

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 04:21:24 AM
Have I developed a bias before giving Wenger the chance it deserves?

I think that you answered your question with this :)

I got late into Wenger when they released their EvoWood line. I don't regret getting any of the Wenger SAKs I got after that. I now have almost a full set of their old Professional series, almost all EvoWods, lots of Rangers, both old and new, several vintage 85 mm and few new, small alox, many SIs, couple of old Soldats. I like them all. And there are are many other Wenger models that I would like to get my hands on.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 04:24:46 AM
There's a lot to like about them. Better pick one up while you still can.

the Ranger series are bigger, and have a more elegant liner lock: press on the shield to release.

The 85 mm normal ones are available with a locking blade

The pliers and scissors have a much more durable springless mechanism that uses the backspring.

Self locking inline screwdrivers.

Slip joint pliers.

Nail files instead of a duplicate blade on most of them.

Evo scale shape is nice to some.

Some unique tools are available. Like a precision watchmaking screwdriver set and bike specific tools.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline detron

Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 04:26:42 AM
Thanks Luna and Marius,  EDIT and Smaug.

I imagined I had built up a bias, just like Chevy or Ford, or Mac or PC, Android or iPhone.

I will have to carry the Wengers for a while and try to be unbiased.

thanks again

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 04:56:59 AM
I find the 85mm Wengers ride better in the pocket than the 91mm Vics. Victorinox does offer a few 84mms, but the Wenger selection of tools in that size is much greater, including readily available models with scissors.

I prefer Wenger's can opener because it is similar to ones I grew up with on my old Scout knives; however this and the scissors are rather contentious issues here. Also prefer the nail file over the second blade. Greater utility, but again contentious.

In terms of finish Victorinox may have a slight edge; and Wenger at one time back in the 1960s was having some quality control issues which may still affect their perceived value. However I carry, use, and like both brands.

Like a number of other members here I prefer the older Classic handles to the modern Evos, but again tastes vary. My EDC for a number of years has been a Wenger Traveler.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 08:51:03 AM
The idea used to be that Wenger made the more modern/different/innovative designs and Victorinox was more traditional, though Victorinox did make some unusual tools too.

So depending on what you needed it was possible that your speSmurfpillsed needs could only be satisfied by Wenger.

Now, of course, this is all history.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 09:06:26 AM
Have I developed a bias before giving Wenger the chance it deserves?

I think that you answered your question with this :)

Agreed  :D

The pliers and scissors have a much more durable springless mechanism that uses the backspring.
Self locking inline screwdrivers.
Nail files instead of a duplicate blade on most of them.
I find the 85mm Wengers ride better in the pocket than the 91mm Vics. Victorinox does offer a few 84mms, but the Wenger selection of tools in that size is much greater, including readily available models with scissors.

These ^^ are also plus points for me too

Also, I like Wenger's can opener as a general tool not just for opening cans. The standard awl really is more of a punch, but the can opener works as a drilly, diggy, pokey, scrapey thingy when you don't want to risk messing up a blade or driver.

The cap lifter is more efficient too, as well as the tweezers and toothpicks being less likely to come out accidentally

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 09:15:41 AM
There's a lot to like about those Wengers. The file instead of the small blade, the sharp little opener.

What I don't get is their design decisions of late. They over design stuff. They sell a million different types of knife - but finding one that isn't ugly as hell is really hard work.

And they're more expensive than Victorinox. I've actually sat down, determined to buy a Wenger - and each time I've ended up shrugging my shoulders, saying Why?!

The wooden handle stuff is great... I might take a look at that again. But still... expensive.

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 09:17:21 AM
And the snow camoflage ... great idea. Drop your knife in the snow and it's gone. Duh.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 09:20:06 AM
Wengers tend to be quirky and innovative . Love having the nail file,better can opener,interesting scissors and pliers.

Things like the Minigrip are fun takes on the whole MT idea
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 02:44:58 AM
I can only repeat what the previous posters have said. :D

In my opinion much better pliers that open wider than Vics. Larger tool selection in a smaller format. Not small as in less effective, but as in easier to carry. ;) The can opener is very sharp (ask Nhoj :P ) and excellent for opening clamshell packages and the scissors will never go dull. They might not have the same strong snap as the 91mm do, but those are larger and therefore have larger/stronger springs.

I have about the equal amount of Vics and Wengers in my SAK selection, but it's one of the Wengers that most often finds it's way into my pocket. :cheers:

I may be bias the other way around though as my first two SAKs were Wengers, and I EDCd a Wenger Forester for 12 years every day. It served me very well and survived mostly unharmed. ;)

us Offline detron

Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 05:17:54 AM
Thanks everyone.  I appreciate explanations as I might actually now try to clear my mind, and try the tools as tools and not a stigma'd tool.

I now have high hopes on increasing my EDC rotation.

Thanks!

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Why Wenger?
Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 11:48:22 AM
The can opener is very sharp (ask Nhoj :P )
Oh no someone remembered that! :D There are actual scars on my fingers now. :facepalm: The first time I did it was almost to the bone and probably could have used a stitch or two and took weeks to heal. Those things are dangerous!

But on a different note Wengers are great saks. Their smooth back springs feel so nice.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 11:50:32 AM by Nhoj »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 12:03:03 PM
Wenger were my first SAKs. I couldn't find any Victorinox in my city at the time.

Here are my very first SAKs...all Wengers.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

it Offline basilio

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 12:22:16 PM
Nice picture Chako!
----
As for me, I like to research and discover a new (old) model almost every week.
At the moment only Wenger gives me this opportunity because of their innovations and basically for lack of information available.
Wenger made so many variations that I think I will be busy for years.... :D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 12:24:07 PM by basilio »

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 02:40:37 PM
All i know is that after having my first wenger, if i have to choose between a vic and a wenger i choose wenger.

If i have to give a reason, i love that the ranger series when adding bigger pliers stuck to the sak concept of being a knife first and the other tools second. So my ranger 90 is an amazing oho knife, with lots of great tools.

I guess i just prefer the wenger approach on things. Now i agree vic look more refined but i dont want refined, in the end its just a matter of preference.  :tu:

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 03:01:09 PM
I like the 85 mm frame and the scissors.

Swiss Army knives .

CHEERS

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 04:43:10 PM
I got a Recruit at first and it was great till i found my Wenger evo S10 ( locking main blade ) and that became my go to main knife.  The can opener never really got use as such but as other have commented it has many uses.  I like the way Wenger houses their toothpick and tweezers for reasons stated. 
I also have a Wenger evo grip 11 and when i picked this up and later compared it to my recruit i immediately noticed the main blade had more belly and it had a thinner ( spine ).  I then looked at the my other Wengers and sure enough their blades have more belly. I dont have many SAKs but i really enjoy the evo grip series of Wenger and i really like my S10.     
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 08:50:53 AM
Wenger tend to be a little quirky. many of their models have subtle variations that don't even appear to be "official" some times. I have an old Wenger that actually is "almost" several models but not quite exactly any of them. The closest fit I have found is a "pre magnifier, Tool Chest. but even then id doesn't fit 100% with the description i found.

The best thing about Wenger is that you are spoiled for choice of 85mm knives with scissors. How many 84mm Vic's with scissors are there? not many and they usually command a premium price.

Things I prefer about Wenger are the belly in the main blade, it just works for me. I actually prefer their scissors and pliers, even if they do bob up and down. And I have a soft spot for then because my first SAK that I got when I was 13 was the big Wenger mentioned above.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%