Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I think I prefer the Non-OHO trekker

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
I think I prefer the Non-OHO trekker
on: October 30, 2013, 04:35:28 PM
I already had a OHO trekker and I ordered in a Non OHO one for comparison that came in today.

- I like the feel in hand better
- I like the look of the blade better
- the blade tip profile is better. My OH one is blunt.
- More comfy when using other tools.
- Only comes in Non serrated blade

The con of course is that its non one hand opening, but I have 2 hands, so the tradoff is ok for me.  I definitely prefer the liner lock version to the slider scale lock though.  I LOVE that nice beefy lockup on the blade and cap lifter. 

Cheers!  :salute:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: I think I prefer the Non-OHO trekker
Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 04:44:03 PM
Nice looking SAK.

sent from my mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 05:43:21 PM
For non-emergency purpose, I totally agree with you that the opening hole for OHO might be a little overrated. 

I guess the only reason why I still want a OHO Trekker(in fact, I wish the blade on my Spirit is OHO) is because I had this weird fear for falling thru the ice, and the only thing that might help to haul my sorry axx back out is my OHO blade.  :P

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 07:01:42 PM
Why do you prefer the liner lock to the side lock?

I've seen others say that too, but they don't have any examples of when the side lock has failed them where the liner lock would not.

The scale on the side lock versions is thicker, that is one thing.

How often do you need a saw? I for one, NEVER need it, so if they made a OHO Adventurer or Super Tinker or Climber, I'd have that one instead.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 07:50:19 PM
Why do you prefer the liner lock to the side lock?

I've seen others say that too, but they don't have any examples of when the side lock has failed them where the liner lock would not.

The scale on the side lock versions is thicker, that is one thing.

How often do you need a saw? I for one, NEVER need it, so if they made a OHO Adventurer or Super Tinker or Climber, I'd have that one instead.

Agree on the saw, when I recombine the 111mm size for an EDC Im not keeping the saw.

The liner lock is better (in my opinion of course :D ) then the slide lock for these reasons.

-  Much stronger, a steel liner is significantly stronger than the metal pin of the scale lock
-  Cosmeticallly I prefer the back scale to not have that cutout in it for the button
-  The liner lock gives you the awesome large cap lifter and its locking!  Great pry tool
-  Most importantly though the blades are not the same size.  The liner lock blade is bigger than the scale lock version.  It feels like the difference between the 91mm SAKs and the beefier 93mm size.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 07:53:31 PM
Here's a shot comparing all 3 111mm blade types.

I dont know if you can tell from the pic, but the OHO blade tip is blunt compared to the non OHO.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 12:30:10 PM
I agree that Vic OHO blades come with a blunt tip. I took the time to examine some in a shop (thankfully, they know I can be a nut and they don't mind). I think they come this way so they can be turned into combo edge blades with less cost. However, that blunt tip is  :poh: awful on a plain edge IMO. It was one of the the reasons I started this poll: http://forum.multitool.org/swiss-forum/the-vic-111mm-pe-poll/msg702800/#msg702800 ( :facepalm: I realise now that I left the OHO plain edge option out)

About the slide-lock, I like it but I feel it can be compromised by a strong percussion on something hard or even a sufficient amount of dirt.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 02:54:52 PM
I agree that Vic OHO blades come with a blunt tip. I took the time to examine some in a shop (thankfully, they know I can be a nut and they don't mind). I think they come this way so they can be turned into combo edge blades with less cost. However, that blunt tip is  :poh: awful on a plain edge IMO. It was one of the the reasons I started this poll: http://forum.multitool.org/swiss-forum/the-vic-111mm-pe-poll/msg702800/#msg702800 ( :facepalm: I realise now that I left the OHO plain edge option out)

About the slide-lock, I like it but I feel it can be compromised by a strong percussion on something hard or even a sufficient amount of dirt.

That makes perfect sense! One blade with extra tip room for serrations.  I was wondering why the tip was so aweful on these.  Not hard to reprofile, but I wish I didnt need to.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 02:42:06 PM
I think Victorinox blunted the tip on purpose, to try to minimize liability. It would be hard to accuse them in court of making a weapon knife with a blunt tip. (unless it's as big as a machete)

Remember My First Victorinox and the Jr. Wengers? The Swiss seem to think that blunting the tip of a razor sharp knife magically makes it safer.  :rofl:

As for re-profiling, it is a pain in the neck. To do it properly requires grinding on the front and back of the blade, and the re-beveling and re-sharpening later takes forEVER. I bought my OHO Trekker NS just so I didn't have to go through that again with my Soldier. (I'd made a whittling blade out of the small spearpoint previously on a Hiker, and it was a long and tedious job to re-sharpen)
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 02:48:36 PM
I think the older OH blades did not have a blunt tip though :think:

I did not know about the size difference between the non-OH blades (liner lock and slide lock). Interesting :tu:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 04:44:42 PM
I got in another non OHO model today, well 2 of them. The parachutist. They were on sale for $28 which is good.  Basically a non OH trekker with serrated blade in place of saw.  One is coming apart today for photo shoot, and getting modded with scissors added back.  I wasnt going to keep the serrated blade, but its growing on me now. :D

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 09:28:27 PM
Yep the opener layer is beefier on the liner locks as well.  They use the can opener from the alox 93mm SAK, and not the thinner 91mm.  The cap lifter is very large as well.

So for me the ultimate 111mm mod will have to at least contain the liner lock blade and opener layers.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 03:33:24 PM
Syph, how do the liner lock Vics compare with the Wenger Rangers? I recall that you thought the Wengers were more robust.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 03:40:52 PM
Syph, how do the liner lock Vics compare with the Wenger Rangers? I recall that you thought the Wengers were more robust.

Pretty similar.  What I liked more about the wengers is that if you're right handed you dont have to move your thumb over the blade to release the lock.  Then wengers have the upper hard for over all strength because they have all steel liners and steel pins.  The Vics have brass pins and aluminum liners still. 

So in a test for destruction the Wenger should still win, but Im not about to prove it. :D

I suppose that if I remade a 111mm Vic with Ti liners and steel pins, that just might be the ultimate. :D

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 03:44:12 PM

I suppose that if I remade a 111mm Vic with Ti liners and steel pins, that just might be the ultimate. :D

:ahhh   :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

you'd have to sign me up for one of those.  :D

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 02:49:56 AM

The Vics have brass pins and aluminum liners still. 

I always thought the liners (at least the locking ones) were steel!!!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 03:33:17 AM

Only the liner lock is steel, the rest are aluminum. 

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 04:14:12 AM
Oh just get an outrider and gain the scissors :D

00 Offline WWW

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 03, 2013, 04:14:16 PM

Only the liner lock is steel, the rest are aluminum.

Ahhh OK!! I got a little confused  :P, thanks for clarifying!!  :salute:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #19 on: November 03, 2013, 04:26:44 PM
Oh just get an outrider and gain the scissors :D

Thats pretty much what Im building, but with a liner lock and not the slide lock.  Well no saw either.  Just blade, scissors/phillips and openers.   ;)

http://forum.multitool.org/the-mod-squad/my-turn-for-111mm-fun/msg796394/#msg796394

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20