Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Aloha's Survival Kit SOS Set and Sweet gift from DETRON!!!!!

Aloha · 31 · 3317

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Ok so let me first say DETRON is an exceptional guy.  Many of you already know this and it bears repeating, Detron is an exceptional guy  :salute:

I have been looking to get the Victorinox Survival Kit SOS Set which would finally get me my swisschamp.  I looked around and saw how expensive they were and i figured as with everything i would eventually get one at a good price.  I was chatting with Detron by pm and he asked how my search was going and i told him i put it off for now and he said he found a great older one so do not get one.  he said he found an older swisschamp and after he checked it out it was headed my way  :ahhh.  needless to say i was surprised by his generosity and a bit overwhelmed.  i knew id eventually get one so for him to be actively seeking one out on my behalf was pretty awesome.

in the mean time i scored a Survival Kit SOS Set sans the SwissChamp that was pretty complete and in great shape.  while i awaited this incredible gift from Detron i was really taken back by his utter kindness.  this guy is the real deal and while admittedly we have chatted and become buds as a result prior to this amazing gift he is a true example of what MTo is about and why we all love this place so much. 

im pretty lucky that Detron chose me to befriend and let me be clear the swiss champ is great and now holds a special spot in my slowly growing SAK collection his friendship is the true gift.  thank you buddy.

here is my Survival Kit SOS set and beautiful older Swisschamp thanks to Detron.   

016.JPG
* 016.JPG (Filesize: 102.49 KB)
017.JPG
* 017.JPG (Filesize: 109.33 KB)
006.JPG
* 006.JPG (Filesize: 89.34 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Aloha's Survival Kit SOS Set and Sweet gift from DETRON!!!!!
Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 07:28:24 PM
i took out most of the original contents and replaced it with more FAK items.

i added a straight pin, another safety pin, green spy capsule ( ibuprofen ), a few extra bandaids ( plasters ), little capsule grey top is Neosporin, sanitizing jell, zip ties, cotton tip swabs, a few sheets of paper, i forgot to picture mini pen.  i left the sharpening stone and sewing kit. everything fits great and is less bulky than i thought.     
011.JPG
* 011.JPG (Filesize: 94.74 KB)
012.JPG
* 012.JPG (Filesize: 96.03 KB)
013.JPG
* 013.JPG (Filesize: 72.11 KB)
014.JPG
* 014.JPG (Filesize: 82.97 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 07:40:29 PM
my sweet swisschamp, now this beauty doesn't have a place for the pin by the corkscrew.  it has the slimmer pliers and the key ring by the corkscrew.  it also has the older scissors with the screw and the inline driver is a bit different as well; it is pointier and less bulbous than later ones.  missing is the hook and the awls eye is a bit higher and closer to the nail knick. the cork screw has a groove running down it and even the metal saw/file is a bit different than later ones. im sure there are other subtle and not so subtle differences and all this has been detailed but this is my first swiss champ and a special one at that. 
003.JPG
* 003.JPG (Filesize: 89.68 KB)
004.JPG
* 004.JPG (Filesize: 87.26 KB)
005.JPG
* 005.JPG (Filesize: 80.71 KB)
007.JPG
* 007.JPG (Filesize: 99.46 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 07:48:37 PM
interestingly enough while this gorgeous gal was on her way across the US i was excited and a bit bummed about having found one at the fleamarket before she arrived.  i held off posting about it and pm'd Detron letting him know she would have a mate when she arrived.  while the one i found is an older as well it is no way as special to me as Detrons gift. 

you can see in the picture some of the differences mentioned ( Detrons awesome gift is on the left ).

Thank you again Derton for such a beautiful example of generosity and kindness and for friendship. 
008.JPG
* 008.JPG (Filesize: 94.96 KB)
009.JPG
* 009.JPG (Filesize: 106.92 KB)
010.JPG
* 010.JPG (Filesize: 100.67 KB)
018.JPG
* 018.JPG (Filesize: 88.85 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 07:55:36 PM
 :clap: :clap: :clap:
Good one Detron!  The forum thanks you for your kindness!  :cheers:
SAW

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 07:59:58 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Good one Detron!  The forum thanks you for your kindness!  :cheers:

AGREED!!!!!!!
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 08:09:47 PM
Nicely done Detron!  :salute:

Aloha:  Nice setup!   :tu:  you could get a set of Plus scales for it for pretty cheap and then you could add the pin and a pen!  That would add to your setup!  I will look around and see if I have a spare set of the Plus scales and if I do, I will let you know.  No charge of coarse! :)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 08:15:56 PM

Aloha:  Nice setup!   :tu:  you could get a set of Plus scales for it for pretty cheap and then you could add the pin and a pen!  That would add to your setup!  I will look around and see if I have a spare set of the Plus scales and if I do, I will let you know.  No charge of coarse! :)

the "newer" i got at the fleamarket actually has the plus scales with pin/pen but SirMike thank you so much for your kind offer.  im gonna leave the older one as is and now that i have 2 swisschamps the one i got myself will be put to use while the gift goes into full retirement and display mode.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 08:26:50 PM

the "newer" i got at the fleamarket actually has the plus scales with pin/pen but SirMike thank you so much for your kind offer.  im gonna leave the older one as is and now that i have 2 swisschamps the one i got myself will be put to use while the gift goes into full retirement and display mode.

Okay, sounds like you have a plan! LOL 

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 08:42:02 PM
Nice on ya Detron!!  You truly are a great member in this great community!  :salute:

Congrats Aloha for getting you kit together!  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 08:43:26 PM
i like how the gifted swisschamp didn't have the pin hole.  its kinda cool to me and when i found the other one and compared the two i was even more intrigued at the differences.  Detron also was a big help in pointing out many differences.  thank you very much for you offer. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 08:47:12 PM
Nice on ya Detron!!  You truly are a great member in this great community!  :salute:

Congrats Aloha for getting you kit together!  :cheers:

i truly love this kit.  i thought it would be so bulky ( how dare me with my super huge work kits  :whistle: ).  i wanted something as a go to on off days and have everything in a neat package.  it rides so comfy and light that i really enjoy having it at my side.   
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 09:23:44 PM
 :nothingtoadd:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 09:59:06 PM
Ok,   before everyone thinks TOO highly of me,  my gift was a gift back.

Aloha007 was the  philanthropist who sent me that  awesome SwissTool.

He asked me not to tell anyone,  but since he mentioned my gift,  I must also point out how He gave the first SELFLESS gift.

I was very happy to find something to repay the favor with,  that I knew he wanted.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 11:54:52 PM by detron »
If I can help, let me know 

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 10:02:45 PM
Nice one detron  :salute: enjoy the champs there a great sak  :tu:

us Offline detron

Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 03:41:35 AM
Here are the pictures I took before sending this to Aloha,  thought they may add some different views for anyone interested.  this was a super clean example of a (I believe) a first generation SwissChamp. 1985-1986.

Just to show how shiny

Notice no crimper, and straight handle instead of curved

Notice the generation 1 plier hinge

just showing magnification

inside is very clean,   I used a small paint brush to get the pocket dust out, but no other cleaning

sorry,  I love looking through the mag glass

see the lack of pin hole, and some pocket dust.

angle looks odd, but they are both on the desk, and this shows how much longer your Phillips is than the one on my Brand new (2013?) SwissChamp

Plier thickness comparison  (My 2013 SwissChamp is on the right)

side by side, and a good comparison of the Phillips length.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 04:05:42 AM
thanks Detron for posting these.  i love the pictures and it really shows the differences i clumsily tried to explain.  this is indeed a super clean example of this beautiful swiss champ. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline detron

Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 04:11:31 AM
I am happy it found a GREAT home.

here is how I feel about my SwissTool

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 04:19:35 AM
haha ive been looking over my new to me Japanese PST and there are some differences in the plier and drivers.  i need to take some pictures and see what the PST experts think.  how has the swisstool been working out? ive been using the heck out of mine and love it more and more each work day.  my wave still sees quite a bit of work and while i like the swisstool i cannot abandon my wave.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline detron

Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 04:25:15 AM
haha ive been looking over my new to me Japanese PST and there are some differences in the plier and drivers.  i need to take some pictures and see what the PST experts think.  how has the swisstool been working out? ive been using the heck out of mine and love it more and more each work day.  my wave still sees quite a bit of work and while i like the swisstool i cannot abandon my wave.   

The SwissTool is great, it is in a MOLLE sheath (Leatherman sheath  :rofl:) attached to the MOLLE straps on my backpack.  it is in there most of the time, the time it is not my Surge is there.

I carry my Charge daily on my hip, and my bag is always handy.

I love playing with it, My job does not need a MT or SAK as much as I wish it would.  But I feel amazingly prepared every day!

us Offline detron

Reply #20 on: November 01, 2013, 07:33:26 AM
I must say that the "buddy" you found for the SwissTool I sent you looks very nice too!  not a bad find at all!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #21 on: November 01, 2013, 11:07:21 PM
Nice gestures and gifts from both of you. I assumed that it was Aloha who gifted the Swisstool. It's nice to see things like this here. Give a tool and gain a friend. :salute:

us Offline detron

Reply #22 on: November 02, 2013, 04:59:50 AM
Nice gestures and gifts from both of you. I assumed that it was Aloha who gifted the Swisstool. It's nice to see things like this here. Give a tool and gain a friend. :salute:

Yes, the hardest part was not saying who it was, I thought the giver should be acknowledged, but he requested anonymity, so I was silent (was hard to do!).

Aloha is a great guy and I wish him the best in everything going forward in life.

This forum is full of great people, and that cannot be stated enough.

Here are things that I have notice that re-enforce  just how awesome this place is.

It is more fun to hold a give-away than play in a give-away

Helping other people (no matter how big or small) generates more happiness than opening a brand new SAK.

No one has ever made me feel stupid, even if I did something stupid.  (I make myself feel stupid enough though  :rofl:)

Ferrari owners do not make fun of Pinto owners, and often are supportive of the Pinto's appeal
( take Chako for example, an amazing collection, and takes the time to share through photos.  never once has Chako made me feel insignificant, and he compliments other peoples collections)

I value the comments and information given here at a higher level that any other information from a forum.  People care, people here are FAMILY, and I truly feel I share their emotions both good and bad

:MTO: :hatsoff:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #23 on: November 02, 2013, 05:55:13 AM
Ah, my man Detron.  I second everything Aloha has said here.  Very generous guy, and willing to help in any way he can.  He epitomizes what makes this place great, as do so many of the members here.  I love reading these types of stories.  I too can personally attest to Detron's generosity, and I witness frequent examples of kindness and generosity here.  While I haven't put on my own giveaway (yet ;)), or gifted anything to anyone, I try to contribute in any way I can as I consider this place like a sort of digital home away from home.  I've made a few friends here, and look forward to making more :tu:  You guys rule :salute:
K-Tibbs

us Offline detron

Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 06:04:24 AM
Ok,   before everyone thinks TOO highly of me,  my gift was a gift back.

Aloha007 was the  philanthropist who sent me that  awesome SwissTool.

He asked me not to tell anyone,  but since he mentioned my gift,  I must also point out how He gave the first SELFLESS gift.

I was very happy to find something to repay the favor with,  that I knew he wanted.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: November 02, 2013, 06:39:26 AM
I did ask Detron to not mention where he got the ST from as I like to give "because" and for no other reason.  suffice to say it was hard to give him this tool as he didn't want to accept it.  we are simply following tradition here on MTo that has been long developed way before we came.  this place is exactly what has been said " a family " to those of us who frequent this place.  Im glad to follow tradition and Monrogue its about contribution and conversation that makes all the difference.  heck I wouldnt contribute or log on as often as i do if I was just here for information and giveaways.  im sure you feel the same way as im sure most feel this way. 
its a nice break from my day to come have some fun conversation and peruse all the new threads and maybe help someone. Detron is a cool dude and im not bad  :tu:
he got a great tool and i scored a killer one as well.   
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 06:43:20 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline detron

Reply #26 on: November 02, 2013, 06:49:55 AM
Detron is a cool dude and im not bad  :tu:

Not Bad??!??!?!   Not Bad???!?!?!

You  are awesome!  you are constantly selfless and it brightens my day when I see your posts.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #27 on: November 02, 2013, 06:58:47 AM
Well I am always more than happy to engage in the conversation, as are the both of you with your near record breaking pace to the No Life Club ;)  Although I do ramble in a lot of my analytical posts :D  As you said Aloha, this place is a nice break from normal daily life where we can come to read others' stories and whatnot.  This place wouldn't be nearly as fun if it was just a straight up informative site without all the awesome comraderie :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline detron

Reply #28 on: November 02, 2013, 07:03:10 AM
Monrogue,

You too have been very helpful and a joy to converse with.  the Charge AL is awesome, but it is extra awesome because every time I grab it, it reminds me of one of my friends on MT.O

OK,  back to the real topic,  sorry for hijacking the thread

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #29 on: November 02, 2013, 07:14:03 AM
Thanks Detron, I appreciate your kind words, and Aloha's as well.  You two are among the many I enjoy here, and are always good conversation :salute:  Hey, aren't we up a little late?  I'm not sure what time it is for you fellas, but I suppose it's about time for me to hit the sack...
K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD