Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need some help about my dog

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Need some help about my dog
on: November 01, 2013, 04:35:17 AM
Well the subject says it all, I don't know what to do. We have a Large golden retriever, and he turned 11 two months ago. For awhile now he's been totally different, just not there, I don't know how to explain it, sometimes he'll want to play, high five you, sneak up and try to get you to hand you a snack under the table, and roll around on the floor, but at other times he will just lay there, ignore you, go outside do his business, and not even want to walk around, just sit there and want to go back in! He's also gotten to the point where we have to keep him blocked off in one area if we ever go out to keep him from accidentally doing anything on anything, same goes for keeping him from chewing himself, he has to wear a mask, or he'll chew himself raw, his skin has gotten very dry and we've tried just about everything to get it remoisten but nothing seems to work. And His legs have also gotten worse. We don't want him to have to keep going threw any more problems but at the same time we don't want to have to put him down, we don't know what to do, and I'm asking all of you what would you do? And one last thing, as many of you know we have other problems and don't have the money to have to have all these test and other things done :facepalm:  Thanks, JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Need some help about my dog
Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 07:27:52 AM
Very tough decisions to make in a situation like that.  :( 

One thing I have to say is that I feel it should be judged by the dogs quality of life. If you think he is suffering everyday than I would put him down. If you think he can live a somewhat longer life comfortably (with treatments and  medication) then that's a option, but that comes at a cost and a quite heavy one at that. Not sure if you know this, but there lifespan is 10-12yrs so hes getting close anyways.

No matter what decision you make it will be a tough one. Where here for you if you need anything.  :salute:
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 11:33:45 AM
The average life expectancy of a Golden Retriever is around 11 years. Possibly, he is getting old and showing it. Have you brought him to see a veterinarian yet?
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 11:43:21 AM
This is a very hard thing to go through, and I feel your pain.  The last thing you want is for your fur baby to suffer, so that possibly leads to a very difficult decision. 

Do what's best for him, even though it might be the most hurtful for you and your family.  In the end you will feel better that you didn't let him suffer.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 12:48:40 PM
Sounds like he could be suffering from an allergy on top of getting old. 

Are there any plants he comes in contact with that might be causing it. We've got an English Pointer that is quite sensitive to Ivy, and gets very itchy and scratches for days when he goes anywhere near it. 

Or maybe a change in diet might help.  A cheaper low allergy diet for short term use (just to see if it helps) is chicken meat and rice.  A lot of people swear by the BARF diet (bones and raw food IIRC).

Even things like a change is laundry soap can trigger allergies in dogs (or people) that are sensitive to it.

Another possibility is boredom, does he get enough physical and mental stimulation ?  Even older dogs  need some.

As derekmac says, you need to look at your dog's quality of life (short term and longer term), and do what is best for your dog.  I had to euthanise my much loved 13 year old doberman a couple of weeks ago as she was progressing rapidly to end-stage heart failure.  It hurt like hell at the time (and I have tears in my eyes from thinking of her as I type this), but it was absolutely the right thing to do and the right time to do it.  Animals can't tell us what they want, so it is up to us humans to do what's best for them.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 02:28:49 PM
Ah man, I hate that term, "Quality of Life" and no I don't think his is to good, since we moved he has to be hooked up any where we go or anytime we step out of the building, unlike before he was never on one. The only play time he gets is inside, oh this is killing me even typing this, any other dog I've been near was either one of my parents, or some other family's, we've had him since he was 7months old, we adopted him because the other family wanted him put down, on top of that they were horrible to him, they left him out in the ran or inside locked in a box half his size, they even blew drugs in his face! We got him before our second son so every time someone asked how many kids do you have we said three boys, we were so worried how he was going to react when we brought our second son home, so we brought a blanket in let him sniff it, had no prob, so we brought him in, let him sniff him, and gave him a big lick! So we put him down and he wouldn't even let my mother go near him, lol oh was that funny, cause my wife's mother went over and picked him up out of the chair! Oh I think we know what the answer to the whole question is, but I just don't want to hear it, let alone even write about it, oh this is killing me! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 02:28:57 PM
Sounds to me like a thyroid problem.  It is probably best to see a very though.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 03:11:08 PM
you'll know when it's time !
I think you already do, but when the time is right you will just know it. just don't beat yourself up about it, and don't look at it from 'your' viewpoint. it WILL be hard, it is the biggest downside to owning dogs, they don't live as long as us. if you've given him a good life that is to your credit, and i'm sure he's loved you for it. but you have to make the decision and choose his time to pass. domestic dogs rarely 'fade away peacefully while sleeping', his instincts will keep him going for as long as it is possible, that's millions of years of evolution at work. doesn't make it the kindest way to go. YOU OWE IT TO HIM to make the tough choices that he can't .
this is very simplistic to write, and is still the second hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life. I do not envy you the job and am not looking forward to the next time I have to do it.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 04:18:40 PM
We spoke to his vet and have decided that it's time, :cry: he has a appt today at 3:30, and since we walk every where, he will be going for his last walk. We just can't see having him suffer anymore, and as much as I don't want to let him go, it's in his best interest :facepalm: JR

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 04:25:26 PM
So sorry.

sent from my mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 05:08:15 PM
I feel your pain. But rest assured, that he'll be in a better place, with no suffering.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 05:15:02 PM
Sorry to hear that JR!  Give him lots of hugs and love and make him feel at peace as much as you can.

We'll all be thinking about him, and you and your family.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 05:23:37 PM
we're here for you  :cry:
cry and let it out ! but don't be sad cos you're doing it for your buddy, and he's better off this way. Mother nature isn't so kind, wild animals don't have it so good, if he wasn't so well looked after (by you) he'd have a rough ride ahead.
be strong for your 'friend', if the Vet says ''it's time" then trust him, they don't say it lightly.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 05:34:15 PM
SAD

I Have A 19 year old mutt I can't put to sleep.

I know its time for awhile now.

I just can't do it.

she's almost blind and deaf but still gets around. I love my meko I can't do it.
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 06:29:44 PM
I went through this a month ago with one of my boys. I'm very sorry. I agree with what Taxi Dad says, cry it out. It helped me tremendously.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 06:52:11 PM
I went through this a month ago with one of my boys. I'm very sorry. I agree with what Taxi Dad says, cry it out. It helped me tremendously.
Well, while on the phone with the vet, they asked if weather or not we would be in the room while it takes place, but of course, so I'm sure the water will start flowing from both of us, then of course the next step, the kids! JR

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 08:09:03 PM
I'm very sorry man... It's tough. I had to put my dog down last year. She was 14, and my best friend growing up.

Time heals the wounds, but it gets difficult at times. Sometimes, there just isn't much else to do when they get very sick.

My condolences sir. Godspeed to the puppy.
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #17 on: November 01, 2013, 09:18:54 PM
You are doing the right thing by your dog, don't lose sight of that fact.  One thing I found helps is to remember the good times and all the fun you had together. 

It will be tough, but hang in there, and don't be embarrassed about crying, vets are used to it (our vet was even crying with us).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #18 on: November 01, 2013, 09:22:02 PM
I'm sorry to hear this JR.  :(  I had to put my first dog down, she was having siezures and the meds they had given her for them made her a zombie.  I couldn't bear to see her suffer like that.  We lost my second mutt two years ago after 11 years.  I cried like a baby both times.  It really does suck, but remember that he won't be suffering anymore, and remember the good times.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
  • Pitbulls are people too
Reply #19 on: November 01, 2013, 10:55:12 PM
 Im really sorry bro.
[

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: November 02, 2013, 02:39:26 AM
Thanks guys, I've posted another page with a few pics as well. JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%