Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

30 day Climber Challenge

Smaug · 124 · 10850

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Re: 30 day Climber Challenge
Reply #30 on: November 05, 2013, 07:50:18 AM
The Climber is one of my favorite SAKs, and I don't think I would have a problem completing a 30-day challenge with it.  It won't be the next 30 days, though, as I have firm plans to try out my Victorinox Cigar Cutter for its specific purpose next weekend.

Are you going to be a dad Nate? If so, congratulations!
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #31 on: November 05, 2013, 08:15:30 AM
Day 3:

• The LED tail light I installed a couple days ago needed an angle adjustment. Out came the Climber's handy "Phillips" and had 'er done in about 20 seconds.
  • I typically use the reamer to cut the foil on the wine bottles that don't have a tab for this purpose. Pictured here is a bottle of Gallo, which uses plastic shrink wrap instead of foil. Shrink wrap is much tougher, but still no match for the Climber's reamer.
  • The trick to successfully using a SAK corkscrew is to screw it in down to the HILT. It's kind of short, so one needs the full length of it, or one risks "corking" the wine. (ripping out only part of the cork, after which, you're "screwed") Then, stand up, hold the bottle between one's knees and by the bottles neck with the off hand, and pull strongly and steadily using one's shoulder muscles. (not arm, or your arm will go flying when the cork lets go...
  • Time to partake in some libation...
20131103_103116.jpg
* 20131103_103116.jpg (Filesize: 258.37 KB)
20131103_122222.jpg
* 20131103_122222.jpg (Filesize: 164.6 KB)
20131103_122336-1.jpg
* 20131103_122336-1.jpg (Filesize: 156.45 KB)
20131103_122408-1.jpg
* 20131103_122408-1.jpg (Filesize: 187.29 KB)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #32 on: November 05, 2013, 08:24:56 AM
Day 3 (1st pic) and beginning of Day 4 (the other three)

• De-tagged a head band. I use this under my bike helmet to keep my ears warm on these chilly Chicago mornings on the ride into work
  • Got a package today. Unfortunately, it had a pull strip, so I didn't really have a reason to use the Climber. :(
  • ...and the package contained? Yep, a Wenger Traveler I picked up from feebay for $18.50 shipped. I'm on my 30-day Climber Challenge, so this one's going to have to wait until December to see some use or pocket time. I must. be. strong.  :-\
  • The knife is new, but someone already started to cut the clamshell package. I continued this cut with the Climber's razor-sharp small blade until I'd cut around the corner and could extract the knife from that God-Forsaken packaging.

1st impressions of the Traveler are: (yeah, another list is coming)

• Perfect pocket carry length at 85mm
  • I like the diameter of the lanyard ring, but I don't like how the ends of it aren't cleverly overlapped so as not to feel sharp and catch on threads
  • No #2 Phillips. I think I'll grind off the tip of the can opener and make this into a flat Phillips at some point
  • I don't like the Eddie Bauer script. Shoulda held out for a non-branded one, I guess.
  • Can you make out the price on that tag? I think it says fifty bucks! Woo, it is a rich man's knife! That Eddie Bauer signature is worth something after all, it seems.  :D
20131103_190705-1.jpg
* 20131103_190705-1.jpg (Filesize: 184.74 KB)
20131104_174757-1.jpg
* 20131104_174757-1.jpg (Filesize: 141.92 KB)
20131104_174852-1.jpg
* 20131104_174852-1.jpg (Filesize: 222.52 KB)
20131104_175132-1.jpg
* 20131104_175132-1.jpg (Filesize: 241.94 KB)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #33 on: November 05, 2013, 08:30:49 AM
Day 4, continued:

• I received another package today. This one had that paper tape, which is so satisfying to slice through with a razor-sharp SAK small blade. "SSHHHHHHHT"
  • This one contained a Roku box. A great way to stream movies from WiFi, when one finds his BluRay player is very slow at it. Only $60 at Amazon. I just finished watching Season 2, Ep. 2 of 'Sherlock' on it in HD
  • After unboxing that, I had a hard time getting a grip on the edge of the 'condom' that protects the glossy plastic finish of the enclosure  ::)
  • ...then used the scissors to cut open the bag for this cable. 'turns out I didn't need to, as this cable provides strictly standard definition picture quality. That'll become a spare for some other day, some old piece of equipment
20131104_174936-1.jpg
* 20131104_174936-1.jpg (Filesize: 133.96 KB)
20131104_175039-1.jpg
* 20131104_175039-1.jpg (Filesize: 228.94 KB)
20131104_182120.jpg
* 20131104_182120.jpg (Filesize: 164.45 KB)
20131104_182244-1.jpg
* 20131104_182244-1.jpg (Filesize: 253.17 KB)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #34 on: November 05, 2013, 08:37:37 AM
Day 4, continued:

• Finally, I used the small blade (again) to release the included AA batteries for the Roku's remote. That shrink wrap can be tricky without a nice sharp knife.
  • Cousins. Here's the Traveler next to the Climber+. The Traveler has better scissors and toothpick, and adds a nail file/#1 Phillips to the tool set. The Climber+ adds pen, pin, eyeglass screwdriver, hook, and usable #2 Phillips tip to the can opener. It also adds an honest-to-goodness reamer, instead of just an awl. (an awl's no good at boring holes, while a reamer can be pushed into service doing that.)
  • Not shown is when I used the can opener tip to remove a couple of screws to take off the cover to a transformer enclosure on a carbonator at work today.

I think the most dangerous part of this SAK-collecting hobby is getting all the implements opened at once, then closed for pix.
20131104_182911-1.jpg
* 20131104_182911-1.jpg (Filesize: 171.9 KB)
20131104_175711-1.jpg
* 20131104_175711-1.jpg (Filesize: 178.64 KB)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 08:40:49 AM by Smaug »
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #35 on: November 05, 2013, 02:55:39 PM
Busy days for the Climber.  It is amazing how often we can actually have use for one of these things, even for just some quick, small tasks :tu:
K-Tibbs

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #36 on: November 05, 2013, 06:14:17 PM
The Climber is such a great SAK! I wanted to join this, but I would of ended up cheating. :facepalm:

I really enjoy these threads and can't wait till the next update.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #37 on: November 05, 2013, 06:46:28 PM
Great challenge!  :popcorn:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #38 on: November 05, 2013, 06:54:26 PM
The Climber is such a great SAK! I wanted to join this, but I would of ended up cheating. :facepalm:

Same here.  Seeing all these 30 day challenges really tempts me to try one myself for probably my Vic Ranger Plus.  However, like you, I worry I'd end up cheating.  I don't think I can bring myself to stick to just one SAK for a month, without switching it for another or adding items as I'm used to carrying 2 or 3 items most days.  Also, I don't think mine would be all that exciting because, despite how many items I carry, I really don't use them much, and I'd likely not be able to take pics most times at work (might get some funny looks in a bank ;)). 
K-Tibbs

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #39 on: November 05, 2013, 07:02:22 PM

Same here.  Seeing all these 30 day challenges really tempts me to try one myself for probably my Vic Ranger Plus.  However, like you, I worry I'd end up cheating.  I don't think I can bring myself to stick to just one SAK for a month, without switching it for another or adding items as I'm used to carrying 2 or 3 items most days.  Also, I don't think mine would be all that exciting because, despite how many items I carry, I really don't use them much, and I'd likely not be able to take pics most times at work (might get some funny looks in a bank ;)).
They catch you with a knife in the bank and they'll bury you under the jail.  :pok: :pok:
SAW

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #40 on: November 05, 2013, 07:22:25 PM
Yeah, taking pics of knives Ina bank may not be the best thing to do. :D

I think I could carry the Climber everyday, but I'd need an MT to go with it, something I don't mind beating on some.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #41 on: November 05, 2013, 08:09:39 PM
A good amount of what I need a SAK for at work is simply opening packages/boxes.  And to be honest, the majority of what I need is a large and small blade, and scissors, but I like having all the other tools as they do occasionally come in handy, both at work and home.  I too prefer to have a MT/SAK combo at the very least.  I'm sure I could manage just fine with only one of them, but it would be an adjustment ;)

As for pics, people would just look at me funny, and some may not share my appreciation for what I'm doing ;)  A lot of the times that I would need my SAK, I'd likely be alone and could take pics as long as I had my phone on me, but most times I don't.  There are other times though, that I'd be in the lobby dealing with a delivery, and coworkers and customers alike would find it strange of me to take a pic of what I'm doing. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #42 on: November 05, 2013, 09:01:15 PM

Alrighty then, Monrogue. Your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to not carry so much junk. You shall choose your favorite 58mm or Executive, and carry that only for a week. (we'll start you easy) Maybe a Classic with some of the fancy scales? Or the trusty Rambler? Manager? Midnight Manager? Minichamp? etc. In a bank job, you shouldn't need more than what is provided on a 58mm SAK.

The REAL challenge for you will be to stick with only that after you leave work.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #43 on: November 05, 2013, 09:35:22 PM

Alrighty then, Monrogue. Your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to not carry so much junk. You shall choose your favorite 58mm or Executive, and carry that only for a week. (we'll start you easy) Maybe a Classic with some of the fancy scales? Or the trusty Rambler? Manager? Midnight Manager? Minichamp? etc. In a bank job, you shouldn't need more than what is provided on a 58mm SAK.

The REAL challenge for you will be to stick with only that after you leave work.

Oooohhhh...that may be a toughy ;)  I'm not sure I could drop down to simply a 58mm (don't have any anyway) or the Executive (do have that one).  I'm not going to completely deny that the Executive wouldn't prove to be sufficient for the most part though.  I think if I were to attempt to only carry one item, it would have to be a full size SAK or MT.  I have 3 SAKs to choose from there, and 6 MTs.  Man, I could probably spend a lot of time just going over the minutia of each one and what I'd want to have on me all in one item.  You've really got me thinking though...I would be interested to see how it would go for me to stick to one item for a month.  And like you said, sticking to it after work would be a challenge as well.  I'll have to give this some serious thought :think:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Surgery
Reply #44 on: November 05, 2013, 10:01:47 PM
Today, my Climber went in for minor surgery; akin to a human having his tonsils removed. ;)

On all 84, 85, and 91mm one, two, and three layer SAKs, I eventually conduct this mod: remove the lanyard ring and grind down the nub. This makes it rounder on that end of the SAK; no protrusions to poke into one's leg.

These are pocket sized knives, no need for a lanyard. I did the same mod on my Rambler, as I found I don't like having it on my keys. Makes them too bulky.

Here he is, recovering from surgery. ;)

So far today, I've not used it yet, except for the toothpick, which I use every day. This is why I don't care much for alox SAKs. What good is extra durability if it hasn't got the right tools?
ClimberNoNub.jpg
* ClimberNoNub.jpg (Filesize: 116.04 KB)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: November 06, 2013, 05:22:58 AM
The Climber is one of my favorite SAKs, and I don't think I would have a problem completing a 30-day challenge with it.  It won't be the next 30 days, though, as I have firm plans to try out my Victorinox Cigar Cutter for its specific purpose next weekend.

Are you going to be a dad Nate? If so, congratulations!

Well, I'm already the proud father of a ten-year-old and a five-year-old, but I don't believe we have any imminent additions to the brood in process, as it were.

With regard to this weekend, there is nothing truly momentous planned, just a little get-together around a bonfire etc.  I know at least one other person there will be delighted to have a cigar with me, I don't get cigars too often, I've already bought them, and I'm looking forward to trying out my Vic Cigar Cutter for the first time is all.

Keep up the good work on the 30-day Climber challenge.  This thread is becoming a great read.   :tu:

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #46 on: November 06, 2013, 12:57:11 PM
Oooohhhh...that may be a toughy ;)  I'm not sure I could drop down to simply a 58mm (don't have any anyway) or the Executive (do have that one).  I'm not going to completely deny that the Executive wouldn't prove to be sufficient for the most part though.  I think if I were to attempt to only carry one item, it would have to be a full size SAK or MT.  I have 3 SAKs to choose from there, and 6 MTs.  Man, I could probably spend a lot of time just going over the minutia of each one and what I'd want to have on me all in one item.  You've really got me thinking though...I would be interested to see how it would go for me to stick to one item for a month.  And like you said, sticking to it after work would be a challenge as well.  I'll have to give this some serious thought :think
Do it, do it, do it, do it  :pok:
::)  :cheers:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #47 on: November 06, 2013, 03:14:45 PM
Oooohhhh...that may be a toughy ;)  I'm not sure I could drop down to simply a 58mm (don't have any anyway) or the Executive (do have that one).  I'm not going to completely deny that the Executive wouldn't prove to be sufficient for the most part though.  I think if I were to attempt to only carry one item, it would have to be a full size SAK or MT.  I have 3 SAKs to choose from there, and 6 MTs.  Man, I could probably spend a lot of time just going over the minutia of each one and what I'd want to have on me all in one item.  You've really got me thinking though...I would be interested to see how it would go for me to stick to one item for a month.  And like you said, sticking to it after work would be a challenge as well.  I'll have to give this some serious thought :think
Do it, do it, do it, do it  :pok:
::)  :cheers:

It's very tempting Firiki.  I can't do it this month, or maybe even a couple weeks beyond that as it's wreath season here and I help my dad and stepmom with their wreath business.  I carry the Rebar while I'm working there (which is outside of my normal job also), so I'd have to commit to the Rebar if I were to do this, but there is already a Rebar challenge ongoing right now. 

I'm thinking if I were to do this, it would probably be with a SAK, and it would probably be my Ranger Plus.  I also have my two custom SAKs, but I'm not sure if I should use a custom as it's not a stock SAK, but then again, I guess that shouldn't really matter for me.  My main issue is pliers.  I always get hung up on thinking I need them, when in reality, I only occasionally use them.  My Mechaneer has pliers, but of course SAK pliers aren't as useful in that regard.  With the Alox though, I lose several tools between the scales and back tools, so I'm thinking either my Yeochamp or Ranger Plus would be the way to go. 

If we're talking full size MTs, then I think it would come down to either the Wingman, Rebar or Spirit for me.  That's also a tough call.  The Wingman has an edge for me with the spring loaded pliers, even though I don't use them much, the tasks for which I typically need the pliers are better handled with spring loaded pliers.  However, both my Rebar and Spirit open and close in plier mode very smoothly and easily, so manual operation isn't too bad.  Both of them offer more versatility as well, although the Rebar lacks scissors (I've found that the wire cutters work well for snipping tags, threads, etc.-just that they're obviously bulkier than a pair of MT/SAK scissors ;)). 

All around it's a hard decision for me to make as it would be tough to stick to one MT or SAK.  I have very little doubt that one is all I would really need, I just like having the options available (also for tinkering ;)).  Anyway, I've taken enough attention away from Smaug's Climber challenge (even though he's the one who challenged me with this :pok:).  Carry on :D
K-Tibbs

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: November 06, 2013, 06:38:13 PM
Ok, got my new climber last week and am into it for a few days now, had to add a pin , small screwdriver and lanyard...

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #49 on: November 06, 2013, 07:17:02 PM
Ok, got my new climber last week and am into it for a few days now, had to add a pin , small screwdriver and lanyard...(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
She's a beauty isn't she!  That's one of my favorite SAKs  :D
SAW

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #50 on: November 06, 2013, 07:23:04 PM
No comments yet on my orange Crocs?  :think:

I purposely left them in that one pic to give someone a chance to make a crack about them. :D
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #51 on: November 06, 2013, 07:44:04 PM
Ha, I didn't even notice them Smaug :)  My wife loves Crocs. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #52 on: November 06, 2013, 07:54:13 PM
Ha, I didn't even notice them Smaug :)  My wife loves Crocs.

I think they make perfect slippers.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Climber vs. Super Tinker
Reply #53 on: November 06, 2013, 11:57:30 PM
Note on Climber vs. Super Tinker:

I mentioned earlier that I ECD'd a Super Tinker for YEARS.

Now, several days into carrying the very similar Climber, I've noticed a couple things about the inclusion of the corkscrew and eyeglass screwdriver in lieu of the T-Phillips:

• The T-Phillips is much better at breaking loose a tough Phillips screw
  • When I have a bottle of wine, I almost ALWAYS have a proper corkscrew too. I use the corkscrew just for fun. I imagine some Swiss guy whose last name is 'Elsener' brought wine to an alpine picnic and forgot a corkscrew, then thought: "I'm going to put one of these on my pocket knives soon, because this is a MAJOR bummer. It's one of those tools for which there's no substitute." As a SAK collector, I'm always thinking about when a corkscrew is needed, so I will never forget to bring a SAK with a corkscrew if there is even the slightest chance of needing one in the field.
  • Due to the above, the corkscrew is more useful to me as a holder for the eyeglass screwdriver than as a corkscrew.
  • I've never needed help from a corkscrew to untie a knot. That seems like a fantasy use to me.
  • Regarding using the small flat head screwdriver tip on the can opener as a Phillips, it doesn't work well if the screw is tight. It wants to slip out. The T-Phillips is much better in this regard, assuming you can get it in there. (inline Phillips is of course always better)
So, as gratifying as it is to use the corkscrew, I'm not convinced yet that this is better as an EDC than a Super Tinker, even if I'm outnumbered by my homies here on MTo. Still, there's plenty of time left in the challenge!
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

ie Offline Refrigerator

Reply #54 on: November 07, 2013, 12:12:56 AM
Someone will have to do a 30 day swiss champ challenge soon

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: November 07, 2013, 12:51:27 AM
So far so good with mine, I have not had the need to want to fall back on my Explorer or Outdoorsman. I'm liking this challenge so far.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #56 on: November 07, 2013, 01:14:00 AM
I unwittingly joined this challenge some days past. I'm away from home, and had to fly here. I caved almost immediately, and got a Silvertech climber to carry while here. I guess I'll mail it home when i return.

Anyway, lots of beers opened, several packages opened, and...

I used the can opener as a phillips to tighten two doorknob assemblies that were rattling. Not heavy duty torque, but the got into that awkward position and applied enough force to make the door handles snug.

Did I mention that the cap lifter has been seeing heavy use? :D
http://forum.multitool.org/swiss-forum/climber-cap-lifter-test/

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #57 on: November 07, 2013, 01:34:55 AM
Someone will have to do a 30 day swiss champ challenge soon

...someone named Refrigerator. ;-)

If you don't, then I will borrow my brother's Swisschamp and do it myself for December.

What do you say?
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #58 on: November 07, 2013, 03:26:15 AM
I unwittingly joined this challenge some days past.

Great! I hope you will make it. I hope you will take solace each morning, knowing that you have one easy choice to make. Please report in from time to time!

So far so good with mine, I have not had the need to want to fall back on my Explorer or Outdoorsman. I'm liking this challenge so far.

Hey, two others quietly joined me. Great! Any others willing to give a proper test drive to this popular three-layer SAK? It is the Goldilocks SAK: Not too big, not too small, but just right. (or is that the Super Tinker? ;) )
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: November 07, 2013, 01:04:16 PM
Aside from the usual cutting of boxes,letter opening,cutting my salmon and apples for lunch etc,etc.I actually don't mind carrying the climber. I do have to admit I do feel that I need the inline Phillips found on my Explorer. I know its not the best in the world but if it gets the job done who cares.  This has been a good challenge.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%