Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

30 day Climber Challenge

Smaug · 124 · 10848

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Re: 30 day Climber Challenge
Reply #60 on: November 07, 2013, 01:22:51 PM
Ok, got my new climber last week and am into it for a few days now, had to add a pin , small screwdriver and lanyard...(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
She's a beauty isn't she!  That's one of my favorite SAKs  :D

:tu:
Leatherman

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #61 on: November 07, 2013, 01:49:04 PM
I was doing well with carrying the Climber, but this morning without thinking I grabbed my usual carry SAK and put it in my pocket as I was going out the door.  It's an Evo16 day today I guess.....  :facepalm:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Re: Climber vs. Super Tinker
Reply #62 on: November 07, 2013, 07:44:34 PM
Note on Climber vs. Super Tinker:

I wear glasses long enough to know the mini SD will be greatly appreciated every two years more or less.  ;)

The CS works very well at loosening a knot, especially on strings you can't replace immediately.

I carry a Climber as my light-weight EDC though not often enough to partake in this challenge. I think the Climber makes a perfect gift for non-knife/tool people  :tu: (well, not only them).
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #63 on: November 07, 2013, 07:57:52 PM

All around it's a hard decision for me to make as it would be tough to stick to one MT or SAK.  I have very little doubt that one is all I would really need, I just like having the options available (also for tinkering ;)). 
:D I know that's a hard decision, it's why I thought I'd chime in. I enjoy reading your detailed reflections on MT's, very much reminds me of myself with my swiss delights. :ahhh It's why I think it would be a good exercise for you. :)  ::)
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #64 on: November 07, 2013, 08:29:26 PM

All around it's a hard decision for me to make as it would be tough to stick to one MT or SAK.  I have very little doubt that one is all I would really need, I just like having the options available (also for tinkering ;)). 
:D I know that's a hard decision, it's why I thought I'd chime in. I enjoy reading your detailed reflections on MT's, very much reminds me of myself with my swiss delights. :ahhh It's why I think it would be a good exercise for you. :)  ::)

Haha, I'm glad someone enjoys my over-analytical madman ramblings ;)  This stuff is bouncing around in my head off and on throughout the day most days.  I think it would be a good and interesting exercise for me.  I can't attempt it yet though.  I have my options, and will have to mull it over.  I have a few more weeks before our wreathing season is done, and after that, I will think about attempting my own 30 day challenge :ahhh
K-Tibbs

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: November 08, 2013, 01:08:31 PM
Nothing new to report on my end, just another day of the usual box opening and lunch cutting ,   :salute:

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #66 on: November 09, 2013, 01:32:21 AM
not much new here either. I opened another bottle of wine and picked my teeth a little. I also removed a sliver that was somehow in my glove. Thank goodness for the T&T
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #67 on: November 09, 2013, 04:17:31 AM
Today, I used the Climber's can opener to open a stubborn pistachio, which was not open quite wide enough to get a fingernail in.

Also, I used the scissors to open a bag of nice loose leaf, high mountain green tea from China.
20131108_071328.jpg
* 20131108_071328.jpg (Filesize: 220.19 KB)
20131108_192922-1.jpg
* 20131108_192922-1.jpg (Filesize: 80.79 KB)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #68 on: November 09, 2013, 10:37:40 AM
Today, I used the Climber's can opener to open a stubborn pistachio, which was not open quite wide enough to get a fingernail in.

That right there is reason enough in my mind to keep the can opener on VICs.  :tu:

2 more beer bottles fell to the might of my Silvertech Climber last night. A tyvec/bubblewrap package was dispatched with the scissors.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: November 09, 2013, 02:01:02 PM
I used mine to open up 2 packages ( evo 14 and wenger Nomad )

us Offline burnside

Reply #70 on: November 09, 2013, 04:12:45 PM
I tried the challenge, but I failed after a few days because I grabbed my explorer instead of the climber without noticing it. Hanging on a key chain fob in my right front pants pocket, I cannot tell the difference between both the climber and explorer. I might have to try this challenge one more time as I really like the Climber, but the Explorer has been winning more pocket time lately. Both my Climber and Explorer are older models with the screw in the scissors and no hook on the back side. I also noticed that the liners on these older models seem to look more clean or polished than the newer vics.

I might have to try this challenge one more time, but it's going to be hard to do with the explorer being my preferred choice of carry when it comes to 91mm SAKs.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #71 on: November 10, 2013, 05:37:22 PM
So far today, I picked my teeth and used the Climber's tweezers to take the back off of a sticky corner protector and cut up an old tee shirt for cleaning rags.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: November 10, 2013, 11:28:52 PM
Used mine to adjust the wick on my dads kerosene heater

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #73 on: November 10, 2013, 11:49:33 PM
The small blade opened a package of Hershey's Kisses.

Used the blade edge of the can opener to pull a nail slightly out of the wall that a calendar was hanging by.

Cap lifter still doing daily beer duty. :tu:

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #74 on: November 11, 2013, 03:02:50 AM
Hehe, Lynn is putting the HURT on our nation's beer supply!

OK, I have another daily use to report, at the risk of being TMI. consider yourself warned, if you decide to read on.

I'm wearing these North Face cargo pants today. Gray cotton, very well made and comfortable. But they have this one stupid feature: a fob on the zipper pull for the fly.

I have to remember to push it out of the way when I go to pee. Today, I forgot. So I peed on it, and didn't notice until it was soaked. :-\

I always thought that fob on the fly was stupid. What is the point? The only thing I could come up with was that I could unzip my fly with gloves on, in case I were in Siberia when the call of nature came through. But then, I would either be wearing insulated pants, or snow pants on top of them, and again, it would be a moot point. Also, if it were THAT cold, would I want to expose my ding-dong to the elements?  ???

So I cut off that stupid fob on the zipper pull with my small blade on the Climber. Rinsed the fob thoroughly before throwing it in the trash, then washed the knife and my hads. Good riddance! I'm not tactical enough for a fob on my fly, it seems.

I discovered that the zipper pull itself is PLENTY long to grab ahold of.

I bet that is the first time in history that a SAK was used to cut the fob off of a fly zipper. :D
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #75 on: November 11, 2013, 04:07:30 AM
That is the first time I've heard of such a use Smaug, but it's a good one I'd say :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Banana Duty
Reply #76 on: November 11, 2013, 11:34:15 PM
This morning, I took the second-to-last banana to work. I have this banana tree, so I don't have to lay them on their side and let them get all bruised up. The problem is that when one takes the second-to-last banana, the other one is left to lay on its side, because there's no fork on which to hang.

My solution is to cut the second-to-last banana off kind of close to the body, so there's a fork left for the poor last banana.

When I get to work, I make a shallow incision near the cut-off "handle" so I can easily peel it. :) I'm one of those guys who keeps the large blade clean and razor-sharp for food duty, so this was a breeze.

Getting on in the month now, it's getting harder to resist the allure of some variety in my EDC SAK. I'm itchin' to try the Wenger Traveler. Will I make it through November with the challenge intact?
ClimberBanana.jpg
* ClimberBanana.jpg (Filesize: 60.02 KB)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 11:35:49 PM by Smaug »
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Sheet Detag
Reply #77 on: November 12, 2013, 12:43:58 AM
I don't know about y'all, but I think de-tagging missions are in my Top 3 uses for the scissors on any SAK.

Today, it was a sheet. Tomorrow, maybe a toddler shirt.
ClimberSheetDetag.jpg
* ClimberSheetDetag.jpg (Filesize: 138.96 KB)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #78 on: November 12, 2013, 10:03:48 AM
The scissors got a bit of a task yesterday, trimming a bunch of loose threads around the frayed cuff of my old jeans.

Also, another beer cap bites the dust. :D

And, for the record, I had thought that caramel was the worst stuff to get stuck in your back teeth. It turns out that it's actually freeze dried strawberries. Caramel will eventually dissolve. Strawberries are fibrous. So, toothpick to the rescue!

gb Offline Ross

Reply #79 on: November 12, 2013, 10:34:27 AM
So I am 12 days late but am I to late to join in this :-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1384248853278.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1384248853278.jpg (Filesize: 111.99 KB)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #80 on: November 12, 2013, 12:00:14 PM

It's NEVER too late!  :salute:

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #81 on: November 12, 2013, 01:01:26 PM

Not too late, but you just can't end with the calendar month. Have to keep going into December. ;-)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

gb Offline Ross

Reply #82 on: November 12, 2013, 01:31:22 PM

Not too late, but you just can't end with the calendar month. Have to keep going into December. ;-)
Challenge accepted and will take me nicely to the weekend when I take a nice long trip to NZ for Christmas (oh what SAK to take  :facepalm:) -

My Climber has never been used so I am excited - This was my second Vic and only bought because after buying my Camper I decided I need scissors - now I have 17 pairs of scissors  :rofl:

On with the Challenge - and will try and get some good snaps :)

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #83 on: November 12, 2013, 04:07:32 PM
My Climber has never been used so I am excited - This was my second Vic and only bought because after buying my Camper I decided I need scissors - now I have 17 pairs of scissors  :rofl:

On with the Challenge - and will try and get some good snaps :)

I look forward to seeing your "action shots" Ross.

I think you'll find the Climber is a good choice for pocket carry on the large side. One thing I like about a 3-layer, 91mm SAK is that it is big enough that one knows it is there, so that when it falls out of the pocket in a couch or car seat, one misses it right away, instead of at the end of the day, like with a Classic. When one starts to leave the house without a SAK, and one is used to a 3-layer, 91mm model, one "feels" that something is missing from one's pocket load. Small enough that it rarely feels obtrusive. (maybe in really dressy pants pockets...)

I think I will do continual "challenges" from now on, just to mix things up and keep myself thinking. My ideas for the future:

• Executive Month - This is all I really need, as a desk pilot, may as well give 'er an honest try.
  • Murse Month - I'll carry a "murse", (like a purse for men) like the guys in China often do, then I can carry a full size SwissTool or CyberTool 34 without protest.
  • Sportsman Month - Can I really go without scissors and a small blade, if I'm regimented enough to keep that large blade really clean and sharp?
  • Traveler Month - In case the answer to ^ is 'no.' But then, can I go without a #2 Phillips?
  • Trekker Month - This one's not too thick, but it is long. Can I manage that in my business casual pants without feeling uncomfortable? Will the saw EVER get used? (why don't they make a Trekker with Scissors instead of a saw, for us urban or suburban guys?)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

gb Offline Ross

Reply #84 on: November 12, 2013, 05:40:39 PM
So day 12 (day 1) for me.

I have been decorating my dinning room and got myself some nice light switches and sockets. 

Out come the Climber for the first time and I deploy the large flat head screwdriver to remove the old and replace with the new. (if only Vic could work a little magic and add an electricians screwdriver)

uploadfromtaptalk1384274365572.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1384274365572.jpg (Filesize: 141.21 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1384274378049.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1384274378049.jpg (Filesize: 101.74 KB)
uploadfromtaptalk1384274392322.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1384274392322.jpg (Filesize: 106.26 KB)

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #85 on: November 12, 2013, 05:53:30 PM

Out come the Climber for the first time and I deploy the large flat head screwdriver to remove the old and replace with the new. (if only Vic could work a little magic and add an electricians screwdriver)

Nice. What do you mean by 'electrician's screwdriver?'
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

gb Offline Ross

Reply #86 on: November 12, 2013, 06:00:37 PM

Nice. What do you mean by 'electrician's screwdriver?'
So its an insulated screwdriver for working with electrics and has a small light at the end that will on when there is a live current running through the wire. Good to make sure you have turned the power off - We don't want any accidents now do we hahah :oops:

I am sure there is a more details explanation of this but this is all I know lol.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #87 on: November 12, 2013, 06:42:32 PM
    • Trekker Month - This one's not too thick, but it is long. Can I manage that in my business casual pants without feeling uncomfortable? Will the saw EVER get used? (why don't they make a Trekker with Scissors instead of a saw, for us urban or suburban guys?)

This is a good knife with decent extra features, and I would be interested to read a 30 day challenge on it :tu:  I have the OHMasterRT, which has the file instead of the saw.  I figured the file has more potential use for me, even though I've yet to use it, but I would probably use the saw even less over time.  The saw and file are a good length though in that longer frame, but I agree that scissors would be more handy for us office folk ;)  They could probably put some other tool at the other end of the scissors layer too :think:
    K-Tibbs

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #88 on: November 12, 2013, 08:24:45 PM
    but I agree that scissors would be more handy for us office folk ;)  They could probably put some other tool at the other end of the scissors layer too :think:

There's nothing to say that we can't carry a Trekker and also have a Rambler on our keyring though is there?
    "Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
    • Wooooo!
    Reply #89 on: November 12, 2013, 08:30:54 PM
    but I agree that scissors would be more handy for us office folk ;)  They could probably put some other tool at the other end of the scissors layer too :think:

There's nothing to say that we can't carry a Trekker and also have a Rambler on our keyring though is there?

True, I carry a SAK with it, or a MT with scissors (lately my Wingman since I got them both around the same time).  I meant if it was to be a stand alone carry like in the 30 day challenges.  I am thinking I will do one at some point with an item that has no scissors, just to see how I get by without them :think:
    K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
    Donate with PayPal!
    April Goal: $300.00
    Due Date: Apr 30
    Total Receipts: $158.99
    PayPal Fees: $9.20
    Net Balance: $149.79
    Below Goal: $150.21
    Site Currency: USD