Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Pro Hunter

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Vic Pro Hunter
on: November 11, 2013, 05:18:14 PM
Any thoughts on the Pro Hunter ? Thinking about getting one.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Vic Pro Hunter
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 05:23:41 PM
Seen it, held it. For the same price, I'd get a full tang knife.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 06:00:32 PM
Is it light weight or does it have some heftiness to it ?

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 06:01:29 PM
If you have a moment, let me search something for you ;)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 06:57:36 PM
Thank you, That answers my question. That was a very informative thread.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 07:11:07 PM
Ya unfortunately they are not up to Victorinox standards that I expected.  Disappointing over all.  Im still going to upgrade one to make it nice with alox scales, but its really hard to want to work on it, since I really dont like it much.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 07:17:55 PM
Actually, I was just thinking lately that my opinion about this folder started to change, positively for the knife.

Since that thread I had one of mine kindly replaced by Tim with one that's as perfect as it can be.

The other easily fixed myself - scales easily popped off after soaking in hot water, a bit of hammering on the offending rivet, scales pressed back, looks like new and has no more lateral blade play.

I'd suggest to find one to handle a bit. You may be lucky to find one without blade play and you may like how the knife feels for real.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 07:25:11 PM
I know that at least one of us here got good copies. And the right pouches too. I don't mind the later since the SwissTools and 111 mm SAKs fit perfectly into the ones I got with the Hunters.

Alox scales would be excellent. Same for screws to allow readjusting the blade tightness. Low friction washers would be nice too. I'd still want to donate one for a mod when the setup will be ready but until then I think these knives are still acceptable for me, even nice-ish in their own way.

:)

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 08:11:27 PM
Wow, that thing looks like junk!
What were they thinking..?
Great review Syph.

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 08:20:57 PM
I tried one for about a week, and ended up returning it. Syph really crystalized the flaws in the knife, so I'm in totally agreement with him on that. Mine had very little play but still felt cheap and not like a Vixtorinox product.
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 08:48:44 PM
Strange. A Sentinel looks to me same as cheap if not cheaper build-wise. The Hunter got stronger scales and liners and a heavier blade. Must be the price difference and expectations for each.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 11:28:29 PM
Poor quality for the money, is the word on the street. Brand recognition isn't everything, it would seem. ;)

For hunting duty, I like my Old Timer Sharpfinger. Or maybe something with a drop point and a gut hook.

Folders are not idea, as it is a pain to clean the blood and guts out of the inside of them.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 11:30:39 PM
That horrible blade and parts finish has alot to do with poor quality perception for me at least.  If it looked shiny like normal Vic blades it would 'feel' better to me.  Id take a sentinel any day over the hunter 'pro'.  That fit and finish is almost a tradmark of cheap 15 dollar made in china knives.. so its not a good choice.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 11:32:58 PM
That horrible blade and parts finish has alot to do with poor quality perception for me at least.  If it looked shiny like normal Vic blades it would 'feel' better to me.  Id take a sentinel any day over the hunter 'pro'.  That fit and finish is almost a tradmark of cheap 15 dollar made in china knives.. so its not a good choice.

Wait, is it made in China?
Leatherman

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 11:36:19 PM

No, Vic says swiss made, but it sure looks like an outsourced blade.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 11:38:03 PM

No, Vic says swiss made, but it sure looks like an outsourced blade.

So they lied? :o
Leatherman

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 11:56:01 PM
The matte, sand blasted like, finish is ok with me and I do not associate it with poor quality (I won't rate extra this knife if it only had a shiny blade finish).

I did not like the hollow scales (although after I removed mine I realized they are not fragile or thin as imagined) and I do not like the blade play.

There is no discernible step up in quality to me compared with any one blade, one layer, plastic handled SAK, such as the 108 mm Solo, the 111 mm Sentinels, etc. The 108 mm Solo has the only benefit of solid nylon scales but has a weaker blade and handle. I too like the strong steel liners on the Hunter.

To me what is different is the price at which each of these basic SAKs is sold. The Hunter Pro is quite expensive for what it is. If Victorinox sold it as a $20 knife then it would be better for most people, although the blade play would still be unforgivable. The thing is, I already paid for mine and did not want to return them for refund to Tim.

I think people's perception about them would be better if they had some color in those handles. Gray with black inserts a la RT OHT or dark green would look better on them than all black.

Mine do work well so far and while not beauties their basic design sits fine with me. And because they are nothing special there is nothing to lose breaking one in use :D

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 12:22:18 AM
While I don't hunt, I can say that as a knife it's just lacking in what feels like quality. The budget Kershaws that I have (Chinese produced models) all have better fit and finish. Lockups are better, handles feel more solid, and cost less.

I can appreciate what Vic tried to do with these, but the execution is very unfortunate.  :facepalm:
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 01:15:19 AM
While I don't hunt, I can say that as a knife it's just lacking in what feels like quality. The budget Kershaws that I have (Chinese produced models) all have better fit and finish. Lockups are better, handles feel more solid, and cost less.

Yup the 15 dollar kershaws is exactly what I was thinking.  They at least have nylon washers.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:17:03 AM by Syph007 »

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 01:39:15 AM
:worthless:

...for one of those $15 Kershhaws along with this Vic :D

Think I'll keep one in the collection as the opposite of the Black Beauty. The Black Flop.

And destroy the other in use, if no mod donor opportunity will arise (waiting for a while for that).

:cheers:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:52:20 AM by Marius »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88